1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archer Balance [371]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by allknowingfrog, May 3, 2012.

?

The archer...

1. is already well-balanced.

31.9%
  2. is over-powered.

23.3%
  3. needs adjustment, but is not over-powered.

44.8%
  1. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

For the sake of raising skill cap, maybe archers need to have more "hitboxes" when they're firing at other players. For instance, obviously a head shot would do more damage than a knee shot, right? Also a knight's armor would be weaker on his back than his chest plate, so maybe what we need is something like this:

First lets clarify archers charge states, they have 3 states, Grey charged (lowest), Red charge (medium) and finally Gold charge.

Now we have, 4 hit boxes on the knight,

Head, takes damage, 1.5 hearts from a Gold arrow + stun. 1 heart + stun from a Red arrow, Grey arrow bounces off, (fired above does same as Red arrow)

Front(without shielding), heavily armored, 1 heart no stun from Gold arrow. 0.5 hearts no stun from Red arrow, Grey arrow bounces off.
    Front(With shielding), All arrows do 0 hearts, only Gold stuns as it works now.

Back, weaker, 1.5 hearts + stun from Gold arrow, 1 heart no stun from Red arrow, .5 hearts no stun from Grey arrow.

Legs, knee shot, insta-kill. :p

Anyway, you get my point, it wouldn't necessarily be exactly like this, I was just trying to show a way it could work. Would it even be possible for this to work?

Ej likes this.
  2. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Extra hitboxes would mean more stuff to load and could get wonky and ridden with bugs that could be abused, if done wrong. I'm sure there could be a much simpler solution.

3. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Ahahaha, you're funny.

No, I play knight, and I hate Arrowspam, BUT RUINING ARCHER IS NOT THE FUCKING ANSWER.

I bet you like ruining classes with shitty ideas.

Mikej99 and Kouji like this.
  4. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

yes I love x) lol

Contrary likes this.
  5. Madoka

Madoka Shopkeep Stealer

6. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

meMeMe.jpg

This thread is still perfectly valid, despite so many efforts to derail it. Find something better to do with your time.

Arcite, Contrary and killatron46 like this.
  7. Madoka

Madoka Shopkeep Stealer

>Implying I have something better to do

Archer's combat is one of the best features on KAG, not bugged and completely skill-oriented. Knight combat got ruined after build 190 (although current knight combat is a lot fixed and very playable, it's still luck-based and ping affects it too much)
    Why people continue with their efforts to ruin the only clean thing in KAG, instead of thinking how to fix the most critical bugs and the general knight issues? Just look at some absurd suggestions here and tell me this thread is not full of not nice stuff.

Spoolooni, killatron46 and Rayne like this.
  8. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

Lol.

All I'm saying is that we're both entitled to our opinions. Asking that a thread be locked because you disagree with it is pretty uncool.

9. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Who 's mad about archers killing them and who wants to make all these "huge" changes? Cos it's certainly not me or alot of other people that want to tweak the way archer plays a little. I play archer most the time when I'm not a frontline builder, and as cool as it is to own absolutely everything coming at you and not die if you fight with a bit of discipline, it's a little bit empty because that's all it really requires to sit back in a tower and win a game, discipline, well that and not been a total retard. Again, the question to people that think archer mechanics are fine at the moment, which still hasn't really been answered - How do you siege a tower with 5 or 6 semi-skilled and disciplined archers sitting in it that's been maintained by a semi-skilled builder? Because the only answer I can think of is massive skybridge, or massive tunnel, both of which are time consuming and boring, which don't take much tactical finesse in themselves.

10. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Just sayian, archers are totally fine in unlimited lives games. You'll usually see only 1-3 archers there and the rest knights and builders, since archers don't PUSH, they aren't the unit that take and clear path to the FLAG. In normal games, the game has two objectives: Eat all the tickets of enemy, and capture the flag. The first is much easier to do than the lattest, although it's boring, but you just have to put up a good defence and sit back shooting at the sudoku bumrushing knights.

Playing by only one objective in this case is much funnier and will really put your adrenaline on the run, so I'd suggest that we would take a closer look to the CTF game rules.

AnRK, allknowingfrog and Contrary like this.
  11. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Agreed, in CTf it makes much less difference since people have less interest in kills, it's effectiveness is still a problem either way unfortunately, but after a few rounds on CTF only servers I think I've been swayed back to unlimited lives, haven't had one game that's taken over 20 minutes so far so fortunately haven't endured any dull stalemates yet. The fun of all of the terrain getting gradually completely fucked and stone running out and etc is awesome, and not having archers ruin the game to be some boring defensive turtlefest is ace, get alot more archers pushing to support too since rushing to your death doesn't really matter as much. Unfortunately that doesn't really resolve the problem, but until there's more siege stuff that'll make camping in towers less effective then I'm probably gonna stick with unlimited CTF whenever possible, unless archer gets changed at all, which it still definitely needs to.