1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This week's cool stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 23, 2012.

1. Shad said there might be boats o.o

then someone asked him to make a "ass hat" and he left soon after

not sayin any names

You know who you are :P

MooCowMan and delankski like this.
  2. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Is this stuff not in game yet?

delankski likes this.
  3. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

No, this thread is just to notify and inform you, as the title says, 'this weeks cool stuff' if it was really an update it would be [361] or whatever, but basically, drool over this coolio stuff and test your patience.

MooCowMan, delankski and DrZaloski like this.
  4. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Really excited for this! I hope bigger maps will follow, little puddles scattered around the map would be a little underwhelming, and boats would be silly if they were too small. Fire will have to be handled extremely carefully too, if it was too easy to set fire then the idea of early wood would be useless. I can also see it being a huge pain in the ass if some single archer just sets fire too the trees covering a battlefield. Now I'm even more excited now, off to try the water test!

delankski likes this.
  5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

How do zombies interact with water?

delankski likes this.
  6. Im_a_Turtle

Im_a_Turtle Arsonist

sgdbwsgvsb gfdn

Sorry, wiping the keyboard of ...unmentionable fluids, when I saw the water. Oh lawdy how interesting this has become.

delankski, TheWids and Ghozt like this.
  7. Zodon

Zodon Bison Rider

The water reminds me of Worms Armageddon.

delankski likes this.
  8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

That's because they're not in test build. Literally the only thing in test build is a randomly generated map with water. That's it.

delankski and Ghozt like this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I think very deep tunnelling will be reduced, but I dont see that as a bad thing tbh. Islands with larger mountains on them would still facilitate mining, and water can easily be removed from a map for those that want a tunnel-fest.

Re: all the non testers who are angry about the test build not containing goodies for them - too bad, you'll get it when it goes public :) You're lucky you can still get into the test build at all - it'll be locked to the actual testers in a matter of time.

@Zodon: that was more or less an inspiration, actually.

Re: not dynamic water - sadly, we don't really have time to code a fluid sim that's network friendly at the moment. This water is a neat compromise that adds the necessary watery game verbs (swimming, not being able to cross a large body without necessary technology, a place to get water to put out fires) without taking a month of development time - something we really can't spare at the moment.

Re: swimming animations - if I get time. I want to, but currently you can still perform most actions underwater, and I sure as hell don't want to produce another whole set of anims just so your character swims a little more realistically. Might set aside some time next week to do basic swim animations for everyone though.

Water breaks your fall now, gotta retouch the stun mechanics a little so that you don't automatically drown from jumping into water from a height, but we don't want the water to be too safe. Archers wont be able to hit people underwater very effectively and knights will likely have lots of trouble swimming.

We're looking at ways we can allow underwater movement for those that want it, simple things like config vars will be introduced but there will also likely be bubbles that you can breath either upon opening chests or from permanent (destructible) landmarks, to allow exploration of underwater caves. I want that to be a very risky activity but to make it possible and potentially rewarding - i like those kind of stressful situations in games.

@Zuboki: not a bad idea. We'll see. I dont like the idea of range-limited fire because that seems to undermine the point of a potential inferno, but we'll see.

10. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Like Terraria water?
    that when you tunnel underground water will just go down.
    You know , like real water simulation :D

11. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

But you said yourself, we don't want a raging inferno. It would be too devestating. WHat I meant is that it woukd still burn wooden buildings all the way to the ground but if will only burn grass and trees to a certant extent.

delankski likes this.
  12. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Still on the burning arrows topic,
    couldn't you just make the arrows really expensive, and because they are burning, if you have them for long eneogh they eventually burn out and the arrow turns normal.
    Maybe you need to buy a flint and steel for every time you die, the arrows would be say, 30 coins, the flint and steel 20, so all up you would need 50 coins, (for one fire arrow) once you are done lighting you special fire arrows, you venture out into no-man land and light up all the buildings with vengeance.

Oh no, I just thought about this, griefing will be really easy, but then again it will be accessed by only Gold members, not to say some don't grief.

Off topic~ @The Khan, you had a little miss-hap at the start of your post there, just thought I would let you know. ;)

delankski likes this.
  13. Harold7

Harold7 Arsonist

is there going to be oil?

delankski likes this.
  14. laurentiu

laurentiu Ballista Bolt Thrower

Cool, can`t wait.

delankski likes this.
  15. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

iLIKE ALL POST :D
    Btw there will be elevators? from the video's description

16. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

How did you make the blocks move?

delankski likes this.
  17. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Sorry its not my VID :)
    Development video of an early version of movable blocks. These can be used for things such as doors, elevators, moving platforms and crushers!

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Delankski, be less liberal with your likes :P delankski likes this is basically a meme now.

Re: "like terraria water": what, you mean water that desyncs whenever theres not enough bandwidth for the giant tidal wave? We're not pleased with the amount of desync caused by time sensitive things like shieldbashing, let alone a water simulation with pressure and whatnot. It could be done like old minecraft water, but honestly I dont think it adds that much to the game - you can build water towers and flood tunnels and that's all - at the cost of it either being purely server bound and therefore lagging like anything, or clientside and desyncing all over the place.

I'd honestly rather focus on something that benefits the game in a more profound way.

Re: Will there be oil: no, because there wont be a water sim. A boiling oil trap would be cool and all, but again, with splashing there would be desyncs and we can get the same thing mechanic wise with murder holes that archers shoot through above doors.

Re: raging inferno = bad: Pretty sure that's not what I said, I just didn't want one guy to be able to set one off from miles away, potentially inadvertently. I imagine wood forts will have stone firebreaks in them to prevent fire spreading throughout the whole thing.

19. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

:( Okay

W8: About the fire, will fire burn Players/Trees/Grass?
    While it is burning Players it has damage per 1/2 second(s) ?

20. fishfinger73

fishfinger73 Haxor

This is awesome! I can't believe shield bashing is coming back :D (I'm terrible without it)! Water is looking good and so are the wooden structures! Thanks devs, and I hope this comes out soon! I am too damn excited :D.

Harold7 and delankski like this.