1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[Request] RCTF Server

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Yoshimotoman, May 27, 2012.

1. Yoshimotoman

Yoshimotoman Arsonist

Last Tuesday at around 6:00 I had the most marvellous idea; Small Scale Capture the Flag. I enjoy RTDM due to the lack of arrow spam and pools of knights sitting below your tower, awaiting you outside the safety of your fort. If small maps, low numbers of players and the basic CTF idea (third of the screen building time; units; flags) were to be combined using KAG's basic knitting machine we could have a revolutionary and, dare I say it, enjoyable experience upon us!

Say, 10 to 14 player restrictions, 100 x 50 map sizes, and forty second build times?

Alas, I am an utter noob, and I have spent my afternoons for the last week trying to create a server. I have not succeeded. So I am opening the idea of SSCTF (I thought of that myself) to all those who wish to exploit it. I created a few maps in the size of 100 x 50 and they are available to anyone who will explain how to post images on this bloody site! (Excuse my noobishness.)

So go out there and create a server that uses this idea, and I will like all of your following posts for the next month or so.

2. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

I once played on a server like this, it was great and it worked really well.

Smalcon likes this.
  3. There used to be a server like this. It was pretty fun. Kind of annoying if there were to many players though.

To upload images go to the "Upload a file" button at the bottom of where you're typing. Then go to the file in your directories. Once it's uploaded click the little "full image" button under the file so it appears at its full size on the post :P

4. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

This is entirely possible, you know. Just some simple server modifications.

Yoshimotoman likes this.
  5. Saverous

Saverous Shopkeep Stealer

I haven't been on one but i certainly look forward. I've been on 64 ppl RTDMs.....

6. Yoshimotoman

Yoshimotoman Arsonist

And I thought I was genius . . . :(

7. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

If you can make a server and get the maps you will be a genius!

Smalcon likes this.
  8. Yoshimotoman

Yoshimotoman Arsonist

Hm.
    I've spent about 4 hours on that in the past.
    Tried manual configuration, that little "Maqq's" thing, never could get it running.
    Followed all of Furai's rules but still, whenever I tried to log onto my own server, it just came up with "Check if the server is still online."
    If anyone would like to make a server of this sort and needs maps I would appreciate any help with uploading damned images!

9. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

To upload images, click the button "Upload a File" button next to the "Post Reply" button.

Now select the desired images, and wait for them to upload into forums.

Now click "Full Image" button near the thumbnails of the pictures - This will make them more pleasant to copy, and you will avoid antialiasing.

If you wish to move them in the post, click & drag them to the location you want.

Now press the button "Post Reply", and you should be good.

Yoshimotoman likes this.
  10. Znote

Znote Shark Slayer

Greetings Yoshimotoman.

I bought this game yesterday, and I am quite the fan of this game already.
    I am experienced in linux hosting and programming, and for just a couple hours ago succeeded my attempt to host a game server online.
    You seem to have a desire to make a server that could potentially be good. And compared to me who is brand new to this game, you seem to have more in-game experience than me, and you seem to be more familiar with the in-game community and the players preferences.

I have been working in a hosting company, and have dedicated servers at my disposal.

My servers are from Norway, I don't know your country so I don't know if you will have latency problems with my servers, but if you are interested we might be able to work together.

As long as my interest lies within this game, I intend to learn as much as possible, enjoy myself and perhaps dig into the modding community to educate myself and help to enhance this community more.

[​IMG]

To paste an image on these forums, you need to use an image tag and a direct url access to the image.
    For instance, the above image is displayed by the following code:
    Code:
    [img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12304631/znote120.png[/img]
    If you are not aware of what Dropbox is or how to use its public folder, you can upload images to sites like or similar to this: http://www.imgland.net/ to upload an image to the internet. Then you will be provided with the url address to that image which you can use between the img tags.

11. Yoshimotoman

Yoshimotoman Arsonist

Thank you very much Monsteri. The last explanation I got was a lot more complicated, hence my noobishness.

Znote, that offer sounds fantastic. Unfortunately I am from Australia and my ping on most international servers is around 350, so we may have to change the ping kick to 450.

To begin with I believe these are suitable maps:

sscale2.png
    The Hamster

sscale3.png
    The Breasts of Destiny

sscale4.png
    The Inverted Breasts of Destiny

sscale1.png
    The - Flat Map

(Courtesy of Monsteri.)

A name along the lines of "International" and "Small Scale CTF" may be appropriate, for names beginning with "Uncle Yoshi's" and "Buddie Bro Z's" will not gain us much recognition. My Skype is yoshi.motoman if needed.

Thanks again for the offer Znote. It is good to have such a quick reaction to my idea, even though it has already been done. ;)

12. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Umm has no one noticed that there already have been and are SSCTF they're called RCTF's :P
    RCTF involve a lot of the RTDM maps, a few players; maybe 8, and some spawn time to build.
    EDIT: sorry I was being a novice and didn't read the title of the thread :P

~ I have been thinking of making my server a RCTF but no one seems interested anymore :(
    Also my server is not dedicated and on a home connection so it won't be the best :( :P
    Have fun :D

PM me and I'll try to help you :D

Bunnyboy likes this.
  13. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

nah, thats normal CTF. the maps that I played on were REALLY small and enclosed in stone.

Smalcon, BlueLuigi and Creille like this.
  14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Come up with around 10 maps if you can and put them up, then I'll see if Rayne is keen.

I had actually put up a RCTF server, maybe SSCTF would work nicely on those types of maps? (Look at KAGStuff.com)

Yoshimotoman likes this.
  15. Yoshimotoman

Yoshimotoman Arsonist

When I came up with this idea I didn't just mean build time and normal RTDM maps, I simply meant CTF without the massive scale hoards of armies that didn't ever seem to achieve anything until the units ran out. That's kinda why I originally named the thread Small Scale CTF, as I have played on RCTF and that isn't what I wanted to create.

Sorry to the admin that changed the name for not explaining clearly enough.

16. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

I used to play on "Pumpkin box RCTF" it was great fun :) Too bad he decided to close them D:
    (Small maps designed for swordfight)
    Could probably make a RCTF server if people want it.

17. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

There's already at least one RCTF up.

As for SSCTF, would have to look into making something like that. Action Unlimited used to be like that pre-bomb jumps getting shit on, bomb jumps might be fixed soon enough though which will help us out in being able to make those games fun again.

18. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

i host the now major "unofficial Australian Server" and have decided to get a second server. i think i will create a thread with a poll for what mode it should be. RCTF will be included thanks to this man.

19. Yoshimotoman

Yoshimotoman Arsonist

Thank you very much Lavalord. I'd be glad to see some more Australian servers.
    </br>--- merged: May 30, 2012 12:29 AM ---</br>
    Here are all the maps for SSCTF that I have created if anyone would in fact like to create a server of this type:

sscale1.png

sscale7.png

sscale5.png

sscale2.png

sscale6.png

sscale3.png

sscale9.png

sscale8.png

sscale4.png

And again, thanks for all the support on this topic. Any thread that I have created in the past has been smashed by Contrary and the like. :(