1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This week's cool stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 23, 2012.

1. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

When you see the white whale
    Break your backs and crack your oars men
    If you wish to prevaaaaail!

2. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

can we get an ability to turn off the flashes everytime we get hit plz?

3. TheFilip

TheFilip Ballista Bolt Thrower

You mean like in Terraria where you could fill water with dirt, remove the dirt, and make a tunnel?

4. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

When is this update coming out?
    Im sure lots of people are
    wondering this.

5. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Be patient, AND TRY THE TEST VERSION :) .

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

New devlog post, go read it.

Re: Will we be able to flood tunnels and make water towers and oh water oh water- I've stated about 5 times in this thread, no. We have other things to focus on.

Ghozt and Noburu like this.
  7. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

First after the update bitches.

Also people keep wanting to add so much that it will begin to complicate gameplay IMO. KAG is going to be best left mostly as is. Makes it easy to hop into and have a good time and easy to learn, but gives you lots of room to improve.

xChapx and Ghozt like this.
  8. TheFilip

*Cough* release the dev kit *cough*

Wolftrait and jerloch like this.
  9. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Should get that cough checked out, it seems it says stuff (your cough that is) while you cough, from what I understand you are asking for the dev kit, whatever that is.

10. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Wolftrait, xChapx and Noburu like this.
  11. TheFilip

The developing kit?
    To make mods? :C

12. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Pretty sure KAG doesnt have a development kit.

Geti and Ghozt like this.
  13. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

He asked for it :3

TheFilip likes this.
  14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It doesn't have one, it's all just coded in C++ more or less from the ground up (we've got some libraries abstracting rendering, input, sound and networking a little, but there's 180k lines of just our code in there). The "dev kit" would just be a C++ compiler and the source for the game - which in itself is a bitch to compile anyway.

A scripting interface is the best you're gonna get there.

Before you ask like that poor kid 100 builds ago, we're not going to release the source for this game, not for a looong time at least.

FuzzyBlueBaron, xChapx, Rayne and 2 others like this.
  15. TheFilip

I was, infact, asking for it.
    Darn.

16. gfalcao

gfalcao Catapult Fodder

This is my first post here, and as so, I'd like to point a quick fact, probably shared by others here. I'm, as many other folks on this forum, a proud owner of Soldat, and my overall experience with it instantly solved any doubts I'd have about buying or not KAG. That's probably why, even before downloading the game (I thought there were two game clients - a "full one" and a demo one) I paid for it. Yes, not a single gameplay video was necessary to get me into to buying it. KAG achieves being absolutely unique in a game genre/style already worn by other commercial titles - and that, alone, is quite a feat!
    Althought, I believe some pretty "essential" features aren't into the game yet, and even after the deadline announcement the will of making them available wasn't made public. Maybe that's because it's too obvious they will make it into KAG, or maybe because I am overestimating their importance. So, here I'd like to add two things I'd like to see around:
    1 - A server creation inteface, fully integrated to the actual game interface. At the present moment, people rely on a .bat file to get some arguments\parameters passed into the game .exe, with no actual GUI for creating - and managing - servers. Of course, there are some neat fan made apps to do so, but will you guys from the Dev team ever get it integrated with the game client?
    2 - Bot AI enhancing and Coop modes. Maybe it's just me being a moron and not getting how to properly get it done, but when I try to add bots to my server (via addBotX), they usually are pretty dumb. Even thought bots aren't THAT vital to most ppl (considering KAG is, essentially, a PvP game), the ability to add properly coded AI\bots to a game has some VERY interesting uses:
    a) Single player mode: We can't play CTFs, for example, without needing to find human oponents. Sometimes, my ISP is feels kinda lazy, and ends up ruining my KAG experience.
    b) Serving as a "training" or more chilled playing mode: most people (myself included) don't like to hop into a new game and go straight into some PvP without grasping the competitive playing basics. As unique and skill dependant as KAG is, players usually have a pretty bad time when they first play against human oponents.
    c) Coop modes. It, obviously, does not outplay PvP, but, sometimes, teaming up against the AI - specially when they outnumber your party - is pretty damn fun! No wonder why SirSalami's files made such success.

Will any of those ever make it into the final version? Do they suck and are absolutely superfluous? I'd really like to hear it - from both devs and other kaggers aswell.

Edit: I'm REALLY sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but it is not exactly a suggestion, as those features are, partially, already in the game. Anyways, I', pretty sorry if I messed up :(

17. Harold7

Harold7 Arsonist

Q1 Do kegs float Q2 If a knight shield bashes you to the water do you surf.

18. Geti

gfalcao:
    1: this would be nice, I want to get the basics of this integrated with a basic "lobby" that would sit in-between games and allow chatting and pre-gram strategy/arguing, as well as gamemode tweaks etc (like the lobby in LieroX actually).
    2: a/b) the issue with this VS bots in soldat is that the bots need to form their own paths through an ever-changing map. We'll likely put some more work into the AI, but it might be simpler to allow scripting the bot AI rather than hardcoding it and having it only work for vanilla modes. We'll see.
    c) zombie fortress + sirsalami's modded castle defense mode offer coop play. This may or may not be expanded upon, we'll see what we have time for. Worst comes to worst, modded servers will be able to supply a coop experience :)

19. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Sorry for my lack of understanding but, after the game is officially released how much longer do you expect to update the game?

xChapx and TheFilip like this.
  20. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Pretty sure the other post said they'll make sure they keep bugfixing and streamlining the game to iron what they've released out a bit.