1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Gold Contest: RDM Maps

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Contrary, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Unfortunately no, they only show up on generated maps. It'd be nice for aesthetic purposes but oh well.

CoD and Ghozt like this.
  2. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Thanks for that Kouji, I will definitely be adding some of those!
    (Where did you get these from and when will that wiki be updated?)

3. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

The colors are on the wiki now, I updated it a couple of minutes ago :) I'll be updating the GIMP palette too in a while

Ghozt likes this.
  4. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

1. can we change the map, update make it better
    2. how do i know if it's balanced?

5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

1. Yes, submit the change before the deadline.
    2. While actually playing it is the best way of knowing and is the final word on the subject, it is pretty easy to spot obvious balance flaws just from the image file. I'm not going to be super anal about balance, I'm not going to say "oh red has a 1.4 second advantage on the initial rush to the important central peak." But obvious things like the default AI Swordfight map favours blue archers bcause there is that big tower thing close to their tent which gives them a big advantage over red as red has no such structure. Balance isn't an arcane notion and is mostly based on simple concepts but it also isn't something that can be fully explained in a short paragraph. Like the other things you will be judged on (aesthetics and creativity) it will be something you will require skill and effort.

Rayne has agreed to host a server with all of the entries after they've all been submitted, so you'll all have a chance to try out your maps and I'll have a chance to give good feedback on balance. Thanks Rayne!

Rayne, Ghozt and JacKD like this.
  6. GloriousToast

atm my map looks like a freaking at at from star wars and.... one team is near its butts end the other is its head. so its sorta unfair to say when maps are not symmetrical so D: unless i made 2 facing each over ? and have ground underneath and shit :D well idk

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Just chiming in to say that if you save a map as a .kag then you can have mossy blocks, partly damaged blocks, different levels of grass and so on - just be sure to edit in a mode with 2 tents and 2 teams, because the editor can't place tents, spawns etc yet.

You can block out the majority of the map as a .png, then get it ingame and edit with the editor and save as .kag. If you set the water level before saving, then the water will also appear at that level in gold servers.

Wixmef, Arcite, GloriousToast and 6 others like this.
  8. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Um so some things?
    -it can't be premade
    -I can give the code to anyone? (Whoever wins)
    -RDM map
    -do we have size requirements or limits or is it just make a good RDM
    -once done with the map can we just add it to our already made map threads?
    -I'm guessing symmetrical is out of the question

Also I won't have Internet till Monday probably :O is there a way I can get a one day exception or something?

9. Contrary

Symmetrical will be accepted. Otherwise yes.

Sorry I don't like to make exceptions.

Q&A updated.

Creille likes this.
  10. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Ok I'll try and get one in somehow :P also thanks for the fast reply :)

11. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

Can I submit a map and still be-able to make small changes? (no dirt-background supporting an island for instance).

Yeah, I decided to make a map after all, took awhile fiddling around with Photato shop.

12. (:

13. GloriousToast

yes you can, as long as it is made prior to the deadline, read my post and contrary's response to it

14. Contrary

I'm thinking about turning to creativity part to public vote, what do you guys think?

Also, two more days; still plenty of time to enter. But make sure you get those in by the deadline, I may reject entries even a second late.

Ghozt and GloriousToast like this.
  15. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

I already entered my map, so I don't really have to worry about this, but it might be more important to other people, do you mean Pacific Standard Time (PST) or Pacific Daylights Time (PDT). Just asking cause daylights savings time is on right now in most places.

16. Contrary

PDT. Ah I'm not going to be that anal about times, but try to have it in on time if at all possible. I'm just trying to be firm about it so things go smoothly.

17. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

Even though I made an entry already, I think I'm going to make a few more maps and release my maps on a map pack thread . . . :p

Contrary and Ghozt like this.
  18. Kouji

The issue I'd find with that is that some people might treat it like a popularity contest. In my opinion, you should only have people who actually have a real perverse pleasure for RDM to help you out in determining creativity. Basically people who will take it more seriously, and not just leave it open to everyone.

edit: also stickied for now.

19. Contrary

Oh of course I would put up the maps without the name of the maker, that's why I had entries submitted via pm. Unfortunately I forgot to tell people not to show their entries to other people. Probably wouldn't be a big deal but still an oversight.

killatron46 likes this.
  20. kuba210

kuba210 Shark Slayer

im gonna try :D Wish me good luck

And good luck others

JacKD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.