1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Wood & Water Build Released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Jun 6, 2012.

1. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Add piranhas in deep water problem solved :p

lukepop, Harold7 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  2. hexalslug

hexalslug Bison Rider

I imagine fire is planned to be some kind of bigger mechanic than just fire arrows. Not sure though.
    How about this: you can buy tinderboxes from a mechanics workshop (or other workshop) for like 10-20 coins, which lasts until you die or fall in water. It works more like a passive skill than an item such as a lantern. If you have it, you can light a keg or an oil-soaked arrow (which you would buy from an upgraded arrow shop, similar to kegs - no free fire arrows) by clicking or hold-clicking as you normally would. If you don't have it, you can't light these things.

I think that is pretty simple, while still making more sense than having to buy an arrow to get fire. It would also help balance the powerfulness of those items, since the tinderbox will stop working if you fall in water and it costs a little it extra.

Also, lighters/tinderboxes could easily become part of greater fire mechanics. For example a builder could simply set a fire on a wood block with it (if he managed to get that far into the enemy base). You could use it to light furnaces, create fire to boil a pot of tar to pour from the battlements, etc...

3. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

Such entrensic water effects such as boiling lava/tar is not being implemented, would cause to much distortion lag on servers, but yeah, im interested in how they are planning to do this, fire will be hard as heck to balance!

4. hexalslug

hexalslug Bison Rider

In the way I mean it wouldn't cause any lag, because there doesn't have to be anything going on when you "boil" a pot of water or tar or whatever, it could just be a sprite change of an item. Actually scripting it as a dynamic liquid, that would cause lag. You could get around this for instance by just making a liquid pouring/falling animation (so the the falling part is just a sprited load of liquid) and having it fall straight down (causing whoever is hit to act like they have hot tar stuck to them in terms of health). I don't think that would be any more laggy than bombs or collapsing buildings.

But anyway, that part is just an idea.

Rayne likes this.
  5. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

But any good archer wouldn't fall in water, he'd sit back and just spam fire arrows until the world has burned down.

FlameHaze3 likes this.
  6. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

As you know in real life fire arrow has lower speed and it has much bigger effect to trajectory, so I guess to fix the problem would be to make fire arrows draw longer or have smaller range and decreased speed + damage, also it would be even better as if not every arrow would manage to stay alight thus it would not set things on fire.

7. hexalslug

hexalslug Bison Rider

Yeah, but he wouldn't be able to burn down every last bit of the enemy's base, only the tower across the lake (which should have all fire-arrow-reachable sides made of stone anyway. So it would be another thing to encourage bridging.

Although i'm not sure, depending on the map/lake size an archer could maybe reach more of the enemy base, but in that case maybe shots fired upward should have less max range. Firing horizontally would have the same max distance, but there will usually be something to block such a shot from reaching the whole base (or if there isn't, the team probably deserves their base burnt down).

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Guys just build a stone front on your towers and 2 5 2 5 all day as the archer's plans are thwarted.
    Fwiw it's likely to be an F=inventory menu to swap between types of arrows and likely firing styles, to add a little more versatility to archers.
    Ballistas should help deal with the bastards en masse, as they'll be able to penetrate nests.

The tinderbox idea is interesting, actually. We'll have to see if we get the inventory side of things to the point where we can check that stuff from other item's scripts on the go. I kind of like the idea of not being able to light a keg if you're damp, would increase the need for boats/bridges and cut down on LOLSAPPED lake towers.

GloriousToast, Riletyface, Ej and 5 others like this.
  9. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I wonder if ballista will be able to pin people to the walls, ground and such once they die, so their poor corpse gets it. :a_shop::shad::castle_wall:

Contrary, Exid, Riletyface and 2 others like this.
  10. PeterPan14

PeterPan14 Bison Rider

Good news everybody..I've now got premium and can finally go on wood and water!

11. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

I know not being able to breathe while swimming is a fair balance, but it exists in the way to encourage bomb jumping and camp as archer to shoot poor drowning knights. Besides, does skimming arrows along water exist? Or is it just easier to throw a bomb, skim it along the water and have it bounce higher than the where the thrower was positioned?

12. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Getting bridge supports made with random knights more than happy to jump in and murder you is way to hard.

Should be able to sink blocks so the eventually make a tower.

13. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

Makes sense. But there should be a definite downside to this method. For example, blocks should move slightly from side to side while floating down so it's hard to place them in the right spot this way. This would mean that you'd have to waste 2-3 times the resources to build up the tower underwater.

14. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I thought pre-fab supports were in the works? Not sure how they'll work but I'm sure they've been mentioned before.

15. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

1. where can i find the change log for 421?
    2. how will smoke work?
    3. if i throw a bomb on a block on fire will the bomb explode and set other blocks on fire or will just vaporize them?
    4. will there be more arrows then the standard arrow + fire arrow?

oh yea fun thing but very bad thing to do on RDTM. Is throw bomb, then switch teams, killing team you were already on, then switching back

16. Darcia

Darcia Chief Fur Love Director <3 Donator Tester

I've already debunked this. You can dive, roll, vault, and do anything you can normally in full plate. It's a myth that you can't, spread by bad movies.

FlameHaze3 likes this.
  17. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Exactly. Speaking from personal (RL) experience mucking around in armor, the only real limiting factor is your strength/endurance. :B):

If you were used to running around in the stuff all day you'd still be hard-pressed to swim far/for very long (i.e. no swimming the Channel), but you could still do it. ;)

FlameHaze3 likes this.
  18. Darcia

Darcia Chief Fur Love Director <3 Donator Tester

Could do it well, too. Your average knight was far better trained than most modern soldiers (even special forces). This is because knights were a warrior caste, and spent a lifetime learning their trade. Being able to fight, run, ride a horse, and so on takes a lot of power and strength. Just because some geek on the History Channel couldn't roll about in plate armor doesn't mean a knight couldn't. I should also like to say that the 'knights' in KAG are not actually knights and don't appear to be wearing full plate, since knights didn't carry shields (they carried bucklers if anything) or short one-handed swords. Sorry to be pedantic on this one! :)

19. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Well our "knights" are simply nothing but warriors in steel armour hence their mobility and with cardboard shield because it allows them to float mid-air, and a wooden sword because you can't hurt crap with it. :B):

20. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

What would help in all honesty is water pressure. If you decend too quickly and come back up the difference in pressures is enough to kill you. This same basic element should be added into the game. Even divers would have a problem going that deep before the water pressure would crush them. Building bases under water to tunnel under the islands is an example of people doing what they do best. Doing exactly what they are not supposed to do which makes it interesting.