1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Progress, setbacks, boats and ropes.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This week has been long.

Well, long for me as I had my final exam as well as a lot of work to do. Very glad to have that out of the way.

Tom and Ryan have made fantastic work on a new, more secure, less annoying installer that can be easily rebuilt each build so that no patching is needed after an install.

Ryan has worked on more API code and a lot of in-game sanity checking (more stability, less console output spam, less data loss...) as well as proper quick join functionality and the client/server understanding what maintenance mode means.

Michal and I have worked a lot on the scripting side of stuff. We want to get this as stable as possible before releasing it to you guys so we're holding it while we make sure the design is solid and re-implement a lot of the existing content as purely scripted content - this makes it easier for us to track down bugs and makes sure that you guys have some solid examples to work off while the documentation for the scripting API is lacking.

We're also discussing whether a physics reimplementation is a good idea at this point - currently the objects themselves don't have mass or drag, just velocity caps and radii - which can lead to a lot of weird stuff and makes configuring new objects and emergent behaviours hard. Its a lot of re-work though which eats into other development time.

Michal got a quick video together of him testing rope attachments out. It's going to be interesting seeing how rope physics sync over the network, but you can also already do excellent things like swing from ropes attached to pulleys above, and (with some quick modding) water ski as a knight shielding down behind a speed-boat! This is a really exciting time, as it's going to open up all sorts of possibilities - both for modding and for the vanilla game.

Watch it here: can't embed, sorry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-AbLEnN1lo

There's been some talk of these new "menus" and how some people are unhappy about them - we personally think that the pie menus are incredibly obtrusive and break up gameplay a lot, and hate the disconnect between picking something up when there's only one thing and picking something up when there are many things. This new icon-based interaction system means you're never pulled out of the action when trying to grab something quickly, or quickly buy bombs.

We know that it'll be met by some opposition, but as it allows for custom, scripted interaction points on a per-object basis, we don't think you'll mind too much :)

Max/Geti

2. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I personally don't have anything against those new menus for picking up, it's simply a matter of getting used to using them.

riseoflegends likes this.
  3. BindNation

BindNation Bison Rider

Change is a comin' men, best be getting used to it. :B):

4. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

DAT BOAT SPEED. Needs more sanics.

Love the new menus though.

Ghozt, delankski, AJ and 2 others like this.
  5. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

When will this new stuff be comin out? :O

6. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Launching a rope attached to a catapult to an enemy base is all I can think of. Implying we'd be able to walk on it.

riseoflegends and Gofio like this.
  7. Adinxs

Adinxs Bison Rider

I hope you can attach the ropes to people.

Masery and Cirom like this.
  8. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Bigger boats get more modules to put sails/ any other boaty things in I hope.
    I hope the boat was only that slow because it was pulling another. :(

Night_Horde, Awesomec and Noburu like this.
  9. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

The speed should be moddable in some way, so I don't think there is much to worry about.

There is some nice stuff you could do with ropes.
    Lassos, ropes to climb on or tieing someone up, attaching a stone block to them and shoving them into the sea...

Looking forward to it.

10. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I just had an awesome idea for rope:

GRAPPLING HOOKS!

[​IMG]

Wixmef, Bly, MooCowMan and 6 others like this.
  11. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Pirates , Piranha 3DD-_-

Soon CWBOYS WILL Ride those boats.. Soon my friends. soon..

BTW: After that update, will fire be in the next of process?

12. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

derp slow boats not for me; bomb jump all the way

13. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

How
    It would be nice if knights could use it to get over like 10sqm gaps since builders always take forever to come support them, but still can be cut easily by builders and knights.:B):

14. I just wanna attack ropes to wraiths and fly around in circles as they chase me through the air.

Can't wait for scripting, I thought the new menus were really cool! Can't wait :p

15. Sitanel

Sitanel Shopkeep Stealer

Ropes will be nice for archers climb a tower near some tree or attach to their arrows or even constructing huge troy horse puppets...

16. cleggy

cleggy Arsonist

Ropes+corpse=hours of sadistic pleasure :p

17. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I just wanna hang down corpses on the rope down my walls or have spears to stick the bodies on top of them or heads in that matter, some nice decorative stuff.

Wixmef, Bly, Gofio and 3 others like this.
  18. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Omg... you guys are sick xD

19. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I demand gallows for griefers!

Digger4401 and cleggy like this.
  20. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay