1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Video KAG Clips

Discussion in 'KAG Media' started by Contrary, May 5, 2012.

1. PeterPan14

PeterPan14 Bison Rider

Hmm..It says it's restricted to play on this site.. :/

2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Alright I've started playing again more, but mostly only RDM. Here's a short clip of the kind of gameplay I might put out, probably 2-3 clips like this per video if I get really going on it. What do you guys think?

FlameHaze3 and Ej like this.
  3. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

Wow you are a kagging MACH!NE!!!

4. Contrary

Another video; messed around with a little bit of panning and tried doing clips in 2x speed.

I really want to create entertaining videos, so give me lots of feedback!

I'm also running into Windows Movie Maker's limitations, so any suggestions for a free and easy replacement would be great. All I want is simple stuff like zooming and panning and maybe minor effects.

5. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

CATAPULT SMASH!

Contrary likes this.
  6. SirSammy

SirSammy Shark Slayer

"Contrary killed [^-^] SirSammy under falling rocks"

NOPE.

7. That's a pretty great video Contrary, the collapse at the start was nice and the use of catas in the whole video was good.
    There is actually nothing I don't like about it. :/

8. Contrary

Hey thanks guys (also lololol Sammy). I appreciate the kind words but I really would like some criticism. My goal is to output videos that people will enjoy on regular basis, as much as I used to enjoy Starcraft or CoD commentaries. I want to make videos that even people who don't play KAG will find entertaining and perhaps will draw them into the game. I know they are far from this level but I will only reach it through feedback.

What kind of gameplay do people like? Swordplay? Bombing? Catapult? Archer? Team support (forward building/outpost hauling)?

CTF/RDM?

Commentary or music?

Sped up/not sped up?

Zoomed in/zoomed out?

Multiple or single clips?

Just blurt out your opinions on any part of the videos.

9. SirSammy

SirSammy Shark Slayer

When your getting Beasted by opposing team. DO NOT EDIT THAT PART OUT. :3 That is all.

10. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

I have a question, what resolution are you recording in? Does WMM allow you to render in different resolutions?

Edit: Easy way to find out what resolution your source material is. Right click the raw video file, go to properties and then go to details. Sometimes all you need to highlight the video once and it will show up at the bottom of the window, if it is in one of course.

11. xioxio128

xioxio128 Shark Slayer

What do you use to record KAG???

12. Contrary

Are you just saying that cause you get beasted a lot in my videos? :p I was thinking of doing a live com where I just get smashed and I complain about shit. Though I hesitate to do commentary because I am boring as fuck when I talk online. IRL I'm a class clown and smooth talker, but get me in front of a mic in the comfort of my own room and I'm awkward as fuck. I will try it though.

I'm also unsure about showing more than the highlights. One of the main reasons I started doing these clips is because I watched a lot of the existing KAG videos and found them painful. I don't want to see someone farm a bunch of coins, run all the way to the front lines, and then die before doing anything. Do you guys really want to see the tedium involved in finding gold, farming resources, making a good spot for the siege shop, and all that garbage? I actually did a long completely continuous video a while ago. It even had a sprinkling of (bad) commentary. Even with the shops being a corpse throw away from the fighting, I found the running back and forth extremely tedious and bordering on being ruinous of the pacing. I can try it though.

1024x698 is the length and width. I can't find anything that specifically says resolution so I don't know.

ScreenCastOMatic, there's a watermark in every clip I record.

13. SirSammy

SirSammy Shark Slayer

That's what commentators are good at. Making things that are very tedium, seem very interesting. THE POWA OF SPEECH.

14. Contrary

Ok so I recorded a commentary and it was really really bad. I don't think I will post it but I'll value the experience and try again later...

SirSammy likes this.
  15. Mellian-Quar-Xililix

Mellian-Quar-Xililix Haxor

Let us hear your voice. Its ok if its bad. Better than those who don't post a commentary. :D

SirSammy likes this.
  16. SirSammy

SirSammy Shark Slayer

Maybe it would be easier to do commentary if KAG had mic support :/

Where you could choose who to com up with?

Idk just a suggestion if any of the devs are reading this.

17. WanderMark

Okay, I am not certain how much this will helps since I've never used ScreenCastOMatic or WMM for that matter, but I will give it a try.

Youtube only allows for 16:9 aspect ratios, widescreen. I would recommend you to record and render your videos in a 1280x720 resolution. Does ScreenCastOMatic lock to a certain region, or do you manually set the frame? If it locks to a region, like the active part of the KAG window, then it should be as easy to just change the resolution in-game to what you want to record to. If your monitor isn't large enough for that resolution, then 1024x576 also works since it is in a 16x9 aspect ratio.

What will happen otherwise is that once you've uploaded your video onto youtube it will gain black bars on the side. This is called letterboxing, they are there in order to force the video into a widescreen format. If you want to get rid of those black bars. Try to find a way to record and render in either a 1280x720 or 1024x576 resolution.

There is no interlacing and the contrast is fine from what I can tell so that is good.

As for recording your voice, I would recommend to do that with a separate program. Wavepad and Audacity, both are free, at least if you are not planning on getting the Wavepad master edition. They allows you to edit your sound files and remove a lot of the white noise that might get picked up. Easy to use, can always get back here if you have any questions.

Do things like a countdown in order to make it easier with the editing. Start recording with for example Audacity, but don't say anything for like 10 seconds. Just sit there and take and cool down. Once you are ready hit the record hotkey, ScreenCastOMatic allows for that right? Now, talk and play for maybe 5-15 minutes, once you are done, stop the video recording and stop talking all together, focus on the commentary track.

It will be very easy to see. You will have a file in front of you with the whole commentary with its audio levels. Because you kept quiet at the start and the end you will see what parts needs to be removed, this is done within the program. Just highlight the start and end and hit the remove key. Now the commentary track will be in synch with your video footage, I guarantee it. Lastly, both programs offer the ability of noise reduction. It is all automatic once you tell the program to do it. This will remove white noise and background noise, make everything sound cleaner. Save the file as you would save a picture made in paint, easy as that.

Put the video file in WMM and then the sound file. They will be synched. Can you adjust sound levels in WMM? Lower the in-game volume so you stand out, maybe add some music, no vocals, just make sure to to lower it so it wont drown out your voice.

But first things first. The only real gripe I have against the video are the black bars. If you can find a way to record and render in a 1280x720 or 1024x576 resolution, do it!

I am going to look up some free editing programs and see if you can get something better. Hope this helps somewhat. Keep it up regardless!

SirSammy and Contrary like this.
  18. Contrary

Great advice Mark! Problem though, free SCoM can't record video audio though it can (in fact always) records mic audio. I am going to look for a whole bunch of new software and I will be sure to take your advice,

Here is the horrible, horrible, video. That'll give you people some good criticism practice, at least.

19. WanderMark

Oh damn, that voice is what honey and syrup is made from! Sweet awesomness! That annoying static sound you are hearing will be fixed by audacity and wavepad. During the segments when you are not speaking it will be completely gone, during the times when you do talk it will be largely reduced.

It seems to be an okay microphone though, some I've heard sounds like they are recording inside a wind tunnel.

Yeah, I could search around a bit as well. I haven't really used any programs other than what I am using, and I know you've had some silly problems with those D :

But seriously though. Your voice is damn amazing.

Contrary, SirSammy and Ghozt like this.
  20. Mellian-Quar-Xililix

Mellian-Quar-Xililix Haxor

The sub-titles were hilarious. :D:thumbs_up: