1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

A Mad Week, Deadline coping Plans.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We’ve been recoding a lot of the engine this week, which has been both good and bad (as illustrated by Michal earlier, haha). We’ve made a lot of hard decisions re: what will make it to the initial “release” version, and what won’t. More information once it’s all 100% finalised.

We’re having to do some harsh optimisation on the blob blocks, as on lower end machines castles made of them were quite laggy due to all the necessary physics collisions to keep the castle up. We’re having to rework the map code to allow us to “settle” placed blocks into that map after a short period of time. This means that the sprites need to be moved into the map file, which is why the map code needed rewriting.

Unfortunately this negatively impacts modding a little, as modded blocks won’t be able to settle - sadly, we don’t have time to go about performing this optimisation in a way that’s efficient for both vanilla content and modded content - however if used in conjunction with slightly modified vanilla blocks (the stats of a block are able to be modified, but any visual changes won’t make it clientside for now), most block modding goals can be achieved. We assume that the majority of modification will happen with regards to interactive elements that shouldn’t be made to settle anyway.

The core parts of Gamemode Scripting and Menu Creation have also been exposed to the scripting engine.

As a side-note - ground slopes have been added, which make natural hills much simpler and smoother to navigate.

We’ve plotted out exactly what needs to get done to the day and are on target for our deadline, which is good news for you and for us. It’s going to be rough, but we’ve left a few weeks spare in that timetable for the inevitable delays that creep in.

Max/Geti

Mulpy, cleggy, Riletyface and 20 others like this.
  2. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Well its ok , ... WAHT I'M WAITING FOR , ROPES! :D

3. ArpiG

ArpiG Shopkeep Stealer

Nice news!Hopefully,I'll buy the game this week and get ready for the future updates :D

Jomppexx and SirSalami like this.
  4. Halosnake

Halosnake Shopkeep Stealer

Well I will happily accept everthing new into the game, but the big part still for me are more classes.
    Really hope you dont scrap them

5. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Really curious about who'd you do the deal with about the deadline, but I assume you won't be able to tell us until its over.

I also wonder why, but I suppose its probably some publisher doing a deal with you to reach a larger audience and earn more money.

If money is really an issue I would suggest thinking of additional monetization in KAG. Think Valve's hat shop. Sell cosmetics, skins for heads, menu appearance, GUI appearances.
    They don't won't ruin the game and are purely for show. You could copy Valve's cool idea of letting the community to create those skins and earn money for it, but you taking a cut of 50% of the earnings.

Btw, I'm not suggesting making KAG completely f2p either, so keep the whole "free classic KAG" and "paid gold KAG" thing.

If not for KAG, consider better monetization for your next game with the above ideas. Just don't make it evil with pay2win non-sense or any of that silliness.

6. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

@Halosnake
    I believe since there was a to-do list a little while back on what they planned, and classes were NOT on the list, i assume they have allready been scrapped long ago.

7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Thankfully the sprites are about and there's plenty of people eager to mod the game ;)

8. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

in short, he wants buyable clothing.
    like club penguin. (= the best way to ruin a game)

cleggy, Villekille707 and cmblast like this.
  9. CoD

CoD Haxor

Buyable clothing Would be alright, privided you stuck to the medieval theme rather than having propellor caps.
    Also not a massive wardrobe just a few articles.

short_round and Contrary like this.
  10. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I'm sorry to say it but I would spend all my money on new hats...

Sarathos, MooCowMan, Rayne and 8 others like this.
  11. CoD

CoD Haxor

Wavin goodbye to the tiny remnant of my life…

short_round likes this.
  12. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Like always, sounds exciting, can't wait.

delankski likes this.
  13. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Yes, let's make KAG another economy simulator in which hats are currency.

Halosnake and Ghozt like this.
  14. Djhacker

Djhacker Bison Rider

I'm very proud to be playing with such a well developed team of dev's and members, Let's hope things go good!-

DrZaloski likes this.
  15. lazas1234

lazas1234 Builder Stabber

I've been playing the game and can't find any dirt slopes. Is it only new servers?

16. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

It isnt OUT yet!

17. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

It's always nice to see things planned out, and it's good you guys have a realistic grip on whats going on. Good luck for the coming weeks!

They could sell cosmetics, but it would be like selling a map-pack in Starcraft. If they're going to leave the game as moddable as they want it to be, they'd be hard-pressed to make a decent profit on it because of the plethora of texture packs and such. It would help, but I doubt people would be compelled enough to buy hats when they can make the entire game look different via a well made mod. Also, maybe its just me, but I never liked being nickeled and dimed over anything, even if it's completely optional, although theirs nothing really principally wrong with it.

And as HERaLD said, I shutter at the very thought of the TF2 hat-economy plaguing KAG.
    ...That was sarcasm, right?

18. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Of course it was.

19. Dark_Ham

Dark_Ham Shipwright

"We’ve made a lot of hard decisions re: what will make it to the initial “release” version, and what won’t."
    Sorry If I've missed something but other than the overworld, are a few more features not going to be added to the final game?
    I was hoping there would be a solid single player with short mini-games like hunting etc.
    (These could become a mod but it would be nicer to have it in the official game). :3

Reactorcore likes this.
  20. Night_Horde

Night_Horde Shopkeep Stealer

Don't really want to say the M word, but with all the amazing hats/armor/weapons people are creating, it would be sweet if you could customize your different characters like you can with a skin texture in Minecraft. That way you wouldn't have to download a new texture pack or mod. Plus I'd really like to see these in game rather than being only player specific.

Greta work though. Can't wait to see what's planned.