1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

A Mad Week, Deadline coping Plans.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jul 11, 2012.

1. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

If the bomb doesn't blow up your rope...

2. TheFilip

TheFilip Ballista Bolt Thrower

Ropes?
    New class added to the game:

Spiderman.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Sorry, been working very long days at the moment and haven't had time for community things.

ReactorCore: Wordy reply inbound that should clarify our philosophy.

Both Michal and I are actually interested in much faster turnaround from start to finish on games. The focus with our new engine (where nothing is hardcoded, everything is networked and editing ingame online is possible) is improving iteration time and content re-use.

We'd like to get it to the point where we can make an entire game with this engine in a month (considering I've done several weekend-long game jams with working prototypes, this hardly seems that ambitious) that we could sell for 2-5 dollars yours-to-keep, and then once the next one was done actually release all of the object code for the previous game so that modding can take on a whole new level - that way the community would keep the games that they liked afloat with free mod content for all, and the ones that are less popular can happily sink, without the community feeling like they've lost out. Content from those less popular games could also be used in mods for other games, since they'd all be working in the same engine, which allows us and the community to salvage any gems in the rough.

With low prices and low turn around time, there's no "premium" benefits or anything like that, no pay to win (my personal least favourite business model), and a very low barrier of entry for everyone. We're considering the possibility of having a per-year subscription thing (get every game made by us in a year) but wouldn't like to do that until we had a gauge on what sort of speed was realistic.

Basically, we want to be free to build games without the commitment of 2 years of development time. We want to be free to experiment and innovate without having to spend ages fighting our own aging technology. And we don't want to charge the world for it. Money is a secondary motive - we just need to make enough to stay alive to keep making games.

As such, no hat store ;)

Re: Ropes - Yeah, bungee jumping and swinging is a thing, obstacle rope courses are excellent fun. Climbing up ropes actually isn't supported at the moment, but very likely will be once other pressing stuff is done with. Suspending multiple tiles from ropes currently isn't supported :P flying castles isn't a good idea due to bandwidth and physics computation constraints.

4. TheFilip

TheFilip Ballista Bolt Thrower

YES!!!
    Awww...

Well, i'm still pretty excited to see the Amazing Spider-Knight.

5. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

No hat store?
    All hope of good update gone.
    KAG ruined forever.

6. Antman

Antman Base Burner

Yeah, KAG is ruined because we don't have to pay for any new hats that are added :(
    I hate getting awesome stuff for free.

7. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Awww, just let those flying castles be in Creative servers

8. Hey.. You can donate forever ^^ It means if you have money you can always give it to KAG and they will give you a suprise! Like a real badass update or a new hat for Shadlington.

9. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Karpovich is right. We dont need buyable hats we can just donate like crazy :D

Geti... i have a small suggestion... why not give us ppl a free server build... meaning the ones who havent made a server yet for the first time.. give it to us for free. :D
    And the rest must be payed. :|

10. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The server can be downloaded for free.

11. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

No i mean making your own server... :o
    We can currently make our own games in servers.. so i was just saying we should be able to do it for free. c:

12. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

You can make your own servers, just a bit of knowledge.
    For more info go here to the wiki and find the relating pages: https://wiki.kag2d.com/wiki/Main_Page

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Servers are free. Run dedicatedserver.bat if you're on windows.
    I have no idea why people think hosting costs money other than for server rental. There'd be approximately 5 servers if it cost money to host.

Ghozt likes this.
  14. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

NEW UPDATE BROKE DOING HELD SHOTS WITH CATAS. WHY KAG TEAM WHY???

TO PROTEST I WILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS AND GO BACK TO ENDING ALL POSTS WITH, LADIES?

edit: nvm its ok now

Ej and Ghozt like this.
  15. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

When you say held shots, do you mean by charging a cata, pressing 'C' and then jumping with it, if so, can I join in to, ladies?

16. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Ladies, please. Surely this isn't the place to vent your frustration; maybe take it to the General Discussion, ladies?

Ghozt likes this.
  17. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

I'm a guy, not a lady, so go back to that demented world where men are ladies and ladies are traps....
    i wonder what use i can find for attaching a rope to a cata O.o? well here's another use for ropes.
    1. attach a rope to a boulder
    2. attach to a person/ another boulder
    3. put boulder in cata
    4. launch boulder
    5 ???
    6 profit!!! ^^

18. Antman

Antman Base Burner

You know I didn't actually mean that, right? :)
    And apparently I'm getting you preium for christmas? :D

This update looks pretty damn awesome though, but I was wondering if there were any set plans on changing knight combat soon?

Karpovich likes this.
  19. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Slashes should have twice the current range and knights should also get flame throwers.
    To go with the Hat Store.

20. Geti

Plans for changing knight combat: None in classic most likely, in full shield bashing w/ jumping will likely be replaced with an animated push foward on the ground if you LMB while shielding after a discussion with quite a few testers last night - will likely be easier and better than trying to debug the current (tricky to understand as a newbie and ultimately annoying to try to balance) shield bash technique. We also might increase the visual range and will very likely make shots actually aimed to reduce the issues with safety around corners and hitting 6 guys at once with a slash, haha.

GloriousToast: Pretty sure I've provided that as an example of what ropes are good for before ;) works like a charm, though at the moment in dev version you cant force-attach ropes yet so they have to be manually holding it :P