1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

How to shoot, basic archer guide and discussion

Discussion in 'Archer' started by GreenArrow17, Jul 18, 2012.

1. GreenArrow17

GreenArrow17 Shark Slayer

I havent seen any of these questions anywhere else so may i ask of u that u post
    ~how many arrows u shounld start the game with u
    ~where u should fire from mainly
    ~wat strength u should fire at per distance
    ~basic angles and strength per disance
    I have also seen other archers being able to fire full strength arrows reely fast (is there some kind of trick?).
    AND PLZZ DONT JUST POST A LINK TO A THREAD,I HAVE SEEN THEM ALL

Thank u

2. Guro

Guro SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

1. I generally start with 10-15 arrows at the start of the game. If you're a good shot you should hit people often enough for your arrows to be fairly self-sufficient. That is to say that the coins you gather from hitting enemies pay for your arrows relatively economically.
    2. Having a height advantage is usually good as an archer, but where you actually prefer to fire from is probably just based on preference. Some archers prefer to camp in a tower, others prefer close quarters combat and others still prefer a more mid-ranged approach. Trees serve as a useful vantage point on most flatmaps.
    3. Learning what strength of arrow to fire when largely comes from practice but most of the time you should be firing full power arrows due to the stun they provide. Medium power arrows can be useful for arcing your shots or for a quick kill on weakened enemies. Weak arrows should generally be shot from above an enemy, as arrows that fall vertically will always do at least 1 heart of damage.
    4. Angled shots largely come from extended practice as archer.
    5. There's no trick to firing full power shots fast

You could probably find all of the information above by reading one of the archer threads on the forums though.

SEARCH.png
      ^Use it brother^

ALSO:

People generally don't take kindly to people who don't use proper grammar on the forums. People are likely to jump down your throat about it and make fun of you instead of answering your question. Consider taking the time to proofread your posts and correct mistakes before you post. It really will help.

3. GreenArrow17

GreenArrow17 Shark Slayer

Thank you alot i hadn't really realizied that people would do that just because of me being lazy,ahh well im proberly just used to forums where everyone is like 10 lol.But anyway thanks

KnightGabe13 and Arcite like this.
  4. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

I'm a grammar Nazi, but Guro covered that.

How many arrows depends on your skill as an archer, and on the distance to an arrow shop. If you can hit an enemy once every five shots, you'll never run out of arrows (5 coins per hit, 1 coin per arrow). Catas, shops and OPs are worth 10 coins per hit, so you can be even worse and still come out even. However, this doesn't work if you don't have an arrow shop, or if the arrow shop is far from the front. I never chop more than 5 or 10 arrows at the start if I have access to an arrow shop. If not, I grab at least 20.

Always be as close to the enemy as you can without getting yourself killed. It's much harder to dodge or block a close-range arrow. Just remember to watch out for enemy archers and bombs.

Lobbing arrows is extremely difficult and is less powerful. I rarely make a lob shot if I can hit something with a full charge.

KnightGabe13 likes this.
  5. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

I personally love lobbing arrows, although given thats when i played archer a whole hell of a lot, and was able to arc full strength arrows to a deadly precision.
    Arc arrow at knight, shoot full strength arrow at him dead-on, he can't guard both sides, and 1 of them will stun him. But obviously this is generally not a good idea,
    and i had way to much time on my hands to learn the arcs perfectly.
    @fast full charge arrows, you may be seeing a medium charged arrow spammed fast, as you can let go of an arrow after 2 bars of the charge meter is full for a normal arrow, using this effectively can stop a lot of knights progression to your base, in fear of the onslaught coming at them.

6. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

tips:
    there are three kinds of archers.
    I'll list them and give you tips for each.
    1: the towercamper
    you'll use lots of arrows, and maybe you wont get enough money to earn it all back.
    make sure you are a) close to trees on the friendly side of the tower,
    or b) close to a hill on the enemy side of the tower, because that is like a lamp to the flies. enemy flies.
    if both arent, get lots of arrows.
    since you will be in the top of the tower, you wont be able to go back down everytime to heal. ask a friendly builder to make a quarter close to the top.
    last tip for campers: you will be the type of archer that gets people mad, because they cant hit you, you can hit them, etc... read the forums. you'll see.
    2: sniper
    you will be the archer that defends doors. sounds dumb, yes.
    the main goal is to snipe the archers. (dangerous for you!)
    after that, aim on the builders. (dangerous for your fort!)
    last, shoot the knights. (as with parrots, keep your fingers away, and you're safe)
    a sniper will have to move a lot, because they usually attract ALL enemy archers attention.
    try to get to a dark spot, shoot three times max, and move to another. do it in a random pattern. (or skip a shot, theyll think you moved!)
    3: close combat, ninja-like
    my favorite! hide in trees or prone.
    you're the one that helps on the frontline, or prones to counterattack the knights that get past.
    in your case, the builder and knight get switched: archer, knight, builder.
    I cannot give tips on this class, I can only give you some techniques.
    tree hopping, is very usefull. if you see a lone knight, you can climb a tree, wait for him to attack, and jump to another tree, firing a shot at the knight. keep doing this till hes dead!
    if you prone, you have two options: one is to fire the back of the knights.
    the other is to infiltrate the castle, and snipe their builders!
    fake death: prone when a knight hits you. only do this as a last resort: you wont see any blood, and they might get suspicious...
    thats all I can think of at the moment.
    sorry for the bad way of telling stuff, im not very experienced at making guides..

7. KingGoldZX

KingGoldZX Shopkeep Stealer

iv won a couple matches with ma archer by climbing trees and moving fast to the enemys flag and quickly catching the flag for a quick win pretty cool to heres a tip to avoid getting knocked down so easly from a tree try have 2 trees 2 blocks away from each other because its easier to jump from one tree to the other

Gofio likes this.
  8. Bammboo

Bammboo Ballista Bolt Thrower

1.Depends on your play style most of all, but if you are going to camp: Get about 15-25 arrows (15 if you are a good shot, 25 if you aren't) But if you are going to get in the front lines, I HIGHLY recommend, getting 30 arrows or more. This is in case you are needing to spam arrows.

2.If you are going to camp then you should find an archer nest that you really like, and then build it during build time. But you can fire from any doorway that isn't possible for enemy knights to get through. If you aren't going to camp then anywhere that gives you a height advantage and good mobility.

3.This is almost always going to be situational, so there won't be any "set in stone" rule. I would recommend practice and going off of what you think.

4.Just practice. It is really the best answer here.

5.There isn't any way to shoot full charged arrows faster. Its probably just people knowing the exact time to let go of their arrows. And, to do this you must practice to master it.

9. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

could you jump of a tall building please?
    theres enough arrowspam without you telling newbies to do so.

10. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

Quit yo complaining, archers have been 'tampered with' their draw time has been increased meaning LESS ARROW SPAM. And don't tell me that it hasn't made a difference because I almost never hear anyone complaining about it.

11. Amount of arrows I take depends on my distance to arrow shop and game mode. On War server i feel like I need more arrows 'cause action is more fast paced, everyone is in rush at the beginning.

Gofio likes this.
  12. Bammboo

Bammboo Ballista Bolt Thrower

I was talking about when an archer gets in the front line, in front of an enemy knight. Not when they are camping in a tower.

13. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

a small building, then.:thumbs_up:
    </br>--- merged: Aug 20, 2012 11:34 AM ---</br>
    I prefer three or four.
    a good knight can cut twice in the time you jump once,
    so if he can reach both trees, you will certainly die.
    with three or four blocks, no knight can keep up with you,
    because they can only reach one tree at a time.

14. Tyngn

Tyngn Ballista Bolt Thrower

To fire my arrows faster, i press hold left mouse button, and whenever i want to fire, i press "F" and then you fire, but you are notching your next shot in an instant. Oh and timing helps too. Im not sure if anyone else does this, but it eliminates the milisecond it takes for you to release and click.

15. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

The moment you get wounded as an archer, get your ass to a hospital bed at once, or switch your vantage point if there is none nearby. Dont try your luck, archers are made of paper. With all the stuff going on there is only a matter of time untill a stray arrow hits you or a bomb catches you by suprise.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  16. Aye. A glancing hit from a bomb will take almost all your health. A single 0.5 dmg hit renders you able to be shot down or slashed once. You're no use as an archer if you're injured. Get yo' ass to quarters if you've got money, try your hardest to snap off a shot and get 5 coins for a hit. That's enough for a heart of healing on most servers.

I usually begin a match with anywhere from 15-35 arrows. The closer you are to the action, the more arrows you want to have. A retreating archer is fodder for most any class unless s/he can escape quickly or can defend themselves.

Have a builder build you a kneecapper. It's extraordinarily hard for an enemy archer to hit you while you're in it, and you can provide near invisible cover for your team in a heavily fortified area. I have employed the Kneecapper to great effect before, against a team completely unaware of it. Mucho kills and glory.

Mobility is your strength. Keep moving at all times. One hit renders you able to be finished off by any other source of damage, so your aim is to avoid any damage at all.

Lobbed shots are brilliant for harrassing enemies. Send a few lobbed up in the air at medium - full strength, then while they're still flying, get a medium fired at the oncoming opponents. They can't shield two directions at once.

17. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Sooo... As some may know I'm putting together a a series of tutorial videos with Wonkyth & Antman. However I have this problem where I'm still only a mid-tier archer and don't know a lot of the tips/tricks that 1st class archers use. If any archer here of the 'top-tier' variety would be willing to lend their expertise I would be most gratified. :)

What I'm looking for is:
    1. Dot-point lists of:
      1. Important skills/tricks for moving around, stealth, other archer-specific tricks of the trade not involving shooting people, and
      2. Important skills/tricks for actually shooting people;
    2. A willingness to come work with Wonkyth, Antman and myself to record all the items on your lists.

If you're interested and have the qualification, please PM me.

18. Lawl.. sounds like a fair challenge. I have my profile for like about 13 tips.
    Check them out if you can. I'm a bit lazy to make more, but archer is my main class because I never play any other.
    I've played for over a year by now.

19. KingGoldZX

KingGoldZX Shopkeep Stealer

i can help u out

20. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Great, if you'd like to help, please PM me with details about your strengths as an archer (i.e. what things you can demo for us).