1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

King Arthurs Gold, A kid game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cerbercre, Sep 5, 2012.

?

Do you think KAG's a kids game?

1. Kids Game.

16.7%
  2. Not a kids game.

66.7%
  3. Whatever, I just like the game.

24.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

So, I figured this was the place to put it but.
    I was recently playing on a deathmatch server. :)
    And someone asked how old we were, and people answered yanno the typical 17, 18 kinda age.
    They say "Why are you guys playing this, this is a kids game."
    May i have your thoughts on how this is a kid game?
    I mean i understand the building and such but i never really considered this a kids game.
    Share yo thoughts. :D

2. jack-o-saurus

jack-o-saurus Shipwright

People say that this is a kids game cos the graphics are basic, but if you think about it logically the 40 - 50 year olds grew up with 8bit graphics so if anything the question is why are kids playing this addictive, violent no-story plot game and why arent the 40 year olds
    </br>--- merged: Sep 5, 2012 9:38 AM ---</br>
    Just throw up a bit more controversy there

3. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Yea exactly. Just hearing that someone thinks this is a kids game kinda bugs me. I think of this as a more serious, epic, game. I dunno. Lets just hope others dont think its a kids game.

Socializator likes this.
  4. There's very few games that I wouldn't call "kid's games." I'm not saying that this game is aimed at children, nor am I saying that it's strictly for children.

The majority of gamers, regardless of age are self proclaimed children-at-heart. That's not to say we all lack maturity, just that we enjoy a good time (sometimes a little more than we ought to) . Besides; I'd like to see them (being the people mentioned in your post) name an "adult's game." The only game suitable for adults that I can think of, off the top of my head, is a freeware title called 'The Kite.' I'm not saying there aren't more, just that I haven't stumbled upon many (if any) others.

On that note, mindless violence + profanity =/= mature game, imo. So yeah, I play kid's games. So what?

5. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Its certainly not a kids game. To be honest its not really appropriate for kids, because of the online aspect.

6. Back in my day, (yeah I know I'm 20, whatever), even if it had 2D gibs then it got an M15+. Not to mention the online aspect, which usually is an auto M15+, but then again look at how many parents let their kids play GTA or COD, aka "Teach me how to become a soldier!" game.

7. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

Those kids sure do like making swastikas.

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I'm at the age now where most people my age have children, and I swear, if I saw my 6-9 year old children playing this game, I WOULD KILL THEM.

9. Yeah I'm inclined to agree. At six-to-nine the most violent game I had was Donkey Kong Country.

10. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I feel it's an unfortunate dichotomy having a choice between "kid's game" and "not kid's game" because, like much of life, it's really not that simple. Consider:
    • As Shad points out, the unfiltered online aspect certainly rules out it being a game 'for children'.
    &
    • As Beaster points out, simply having violence and profanity does not an 'adult' game make.
    Take both these points and we can see that KAG falls into a grey area between a 'kid's game' and an 'adult game'. This means that yes, broadly speaking, KAG is "not a kid's game"; but it also means that younger-types can't been ruled out as legitimate members of the playerbase. Similarly KAG is "not an adult's game", but rightly has a large number of 'temporally enhanced' players.

In the final assessment KAG is a game with many strong points, one of which is a wide appeal to a vast spectrum of different age groups; and if someone can't hack that then they probably need to grow up (whatever their age).

11. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

You can point a game at a certain audience, but it will eventually end up in some kid's hands, when I was 10ish, many of my friends owned GTA :p

12. Oh of course, when I was ten-ish my friends were all playing Goldeneye and Unreal Tournament and stuff like that.

13. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

The point is that if I enjoy a game, I'm gonna play it. Kids game or not. I STILL love playing my NES and SNES. The fact that they're "kids" games doesn't spoil my fun.

At the same time, just because children are playing doesn't mean I'm gonna put a filter on what I say. Its like Bluigi's sig says, "censorship is like telling a man he can't have steak because a child can't chew it."

14. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

I love that quote, but a rating for a game is based on what is in the games content, not on what people may say during chat, so the real rating would vary to who you are playing with.

15. laurentiu

laurentiu Ballista Bolt Thrower

I`ll be honest here. This is no kids game, I`m just a teenager but I still get pissed of quite badly sometimes and swear, kids shouldn`t have experience with that so early.

16. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

This aint no kids game, KAG players are far too competetive and...... lets say creative with their building to be younger children. Not to mention the dedicated community....

Unless they are children who had a proper childhood growing with Lego....

17. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well, I'm going to be devil's advocate here and say that it kind of seems like a kid's game.

- Bright and humourous cartoony graphics
    - Low skill requirement
    - Low skill ceiling
    - Very casually paced game
    - Very random gameplay

The competitive format of the game sets it apart I guess but if there is actually such a category as "kid's game" KAG seems to come pretty close.

Ivy, GloriousToast, Arcite and 2 others like this.
  18. BlackKlit

BlackKlit Shopkeep Stealer

Liar!!!! Burn him because of that heresy he said!:eek: X3X3X3 Seriously, I can't agree with both RANDOM gameplay and casually paced game, because it's really isn't so. Gameplay is getting some worse due to lags and small bullshitsclever allies, but it just cannot crush all existing, ya? Casuality? Then tell me why ther is SO much topics about tactics, tower-building, guides which count a lot more than hundred rules and so on? Don't think I now employing my anger, but just think more about KAG. :B):

19. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

Tic Tac Toe is probably the best example of a game with no "random" gameplay. It is a children's game.

It takes a serious person to analyze the many variables and complex situations one can find themselves in with KAG.

Usually, adults fall under that stereotype.

And, once again, intricacy is not chaos.

20. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

but he said that this game has A LOT OF random gameplay...