1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Realistic water!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flipperz, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flipperz

flipperz Shopkeep Stealer

2. RampageX

RampageX Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

I want boats before the realistic water. :B):

3. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

Who needs a boat when you can have FANCY HIDDEN UNDERWATER UBERBASE?

GloriousToast, Viken and Froghead48 like this.
  4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

"They're tunneling? RELEASE THE KRAKEN"

5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

We need pipes and stuff now, or else those awesome flood traps I'm thinking of will only work once...

Anded likes this.
  6. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

The water rework was kind of impossible, just in their old engine. The best they could do was add it in as the global water level. Now, they probably have a system set up for fluid blocks in the new engine.

Although, this changes priorities entirely. Boats by default become second to magma and piping systems.

GloriousToast, Viken and Beef like this.
  7. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

Finally we can drown those damn tunnelers making a way to our flag.

8. Bammboo

Bammboo Ballista Bolt Thrower

All the lag that people will incur. This may be the last time I can play kag for a while ;_;

Evan5567, Fate and PumpkingSlice like this.
  9. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

If you look at the pictures at all, you can see that doesn't seem to involve fluid blocks in any way. In fact, rather simply, the water is still at a global level, it can just flow infitely horizontally and downwards, if there is an opening. It looks pretty cool, and flooding enemy tunnels could very well be irreversable damage to them, but I'm a little dubious. :/

Riletyface and CheeseMeister like this.
  10. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

Fun, I wonder how team doors will work with it...

11. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Of course it doesn't look like non-discrete water levels, but the fact that they will flow and expand out as blocks are removed still makes them fluid. It's not a complete system like Terraria's, but rather one like Minecraft. But, this is still nowhere near global, where even if you dug straight down into dry land you would eventually run into a wall of water, like aquifers in Dwarf Fortress. This allows for you to not only make tunnels underground on water maps, but also have different bodies of water at different heights at the start of a round (assuming that water works by just expanding to the sides and bottom).

12. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

Which will be awesome for mountains maps with ponds and lakes. :D

13. shadewolf10

shadewolf10 Shopkeep Stealer

war mode will be slightly easier because you drown so easy as knight but i hate the surfing

14. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Discuss.

justi01 likes this.
  15. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

Really excited about this, should bring a whole new layer of depth to the current water based maps. As of now the defending team has a huge advantage. I hope that boats will bring the experience a bit closer to the fast and furious experience found in the vanilla experience, still keeping the element of water into equation.

Depending how boats will work, it would also be quite interesting to see if "floods" could make a return.

16. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I'm afraid boats are going to be just like catas - as soon as the enemy touches an enemy boat, they start stabbing it to death.

If that happens, boats will be a major disappointment.

17. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

Well, I say that you need the ability to destroy them, otherwise I can imagine a map being cluttered with boats from the left to right pretty quick. It is a delicate balance, really. You can't make them too powerful, but at the same time stronger than the average catapult...

I am ending this post right now because some drunk person just tried to open my door! Funny enough I did foresee this happening and made sure it was properly locked before sitting down.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  18. flipperz

flipperz Shopkeep Stealer

first paragraph agreed.

Second paragraph Dafuq? :O

Arcite, feet and RobertStephenson like this.
  19. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Agreed, considering the way water in Terraria worked, that shit lagged me like mad, even when moving miniscule amounts of water.

20. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I know most people are complaining about LAG, but you can't really tell until you tried it, which no one has. I'm sure the KAG team will optimize the water in a way that it will run on some low-end computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.