1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This game is great but has a horrible community.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samort7, Oct 14, 2012.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Frankly, the reason that I feel the community is dying is because there isn't ENOUGH moderation anymore. I can't join a server nowadays where there isn't people openly griefing and bragging about it or hacking and advertising it. They are going to phase out guards and completely dig the bottom out from under everything. Example; not too long ago, this kid with MULTIPLE accounts kept coming onto the bhtp server using a fly hack, was saying he bought it for $10 and was asking people if they wanted in on it. I managed to capture video and made a report, but that didn't fix the issue at that moment. Went onto IRC to alert a guard about it but nobody was around. Then you have servers like Clemo7's Fast Round where he doesn't want admins (for some reason) and people are abusing the team switch bug where they're (for example) on the red team, but are still blue. Red can't kill him and he's wasting the time on the clock.

It's a problem. They're running rampant because most servers don't have adequate administration, and I think that is more damaging to the community than a couple of mean-spirited admins. It is FAR more damaging when a new player comes online, builds something and has it griefed because some moron decided that he didn't like this new person building off of his tower or moving HIS outpost, so he's gonna throw the outpost to the enemy and destroy the tower. Is that really acceptable behavior? Is that less damaging to this game's credibility than a bad admin?

You guys don't realize that this community is great. It's GREAT. I always love it when I'm building and a new guy actually asks me questions about the game and it's mechanics, but it's a rare occurrence. More often than not it's a new guy who doesn't give a shit about his team, a new guy who, rather than check out the building aspect in Zombie Fortress or Sandbox, would rather get into a CTF match and dig under towers and remove trapbridges replacing them with ladders.

I just forsee a lot of problems down the road. If guards truly are being phased out and that's it for them, I have a feeling this community is doomed. Assholes like the ones I mentioned are FAR more prevalent than they were 6 months ago and it's only getting worse...

UnnamedPlayer, Guro and GloriousToast like this.
  2. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

I]m getting so fucking annoyed by all the numskulls who think that just because those dumbasses spent x amount of resources on this crap makes it theirs. it really doesn't. the game is multiplayer, meant to be played multiplayer and not be ruined by Mr. greedyguts (i think they are more often guys then girls). if you want to be such sticklers go onto single player, that is for whats its made for, you, alone. personally i suggest that these people should be banned for 5 minutes for not sharing, (are they like 5 again? yesss). go sit in the corner with this pylon.

also btw as clans are part of community, i really want to be in one again :O
    (mole clan horrible community max of 20 peeps curse you)

3. Matty_

Matty_ Shipwright

I will rage so hard. Don't let the profile picture fool you.

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

I ban these people. I suggest any admin/moderator do the same on their server.

5. LordPumpkin

LordPumpkin Bison Rider

I dont think kag community is terrible but I do agree about the banning for no reason it's is preety stupid like once I got banned for nothing at all

6. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Being banned for no reason isn't necessarily a problem with the community, but a problem with the servers you've played on. If it's being awkward, go complain on the relevant thread for the server, because bitching about here gets absolutely nothing done in that respect, as you've seen before. :P

stig700 and Downburst like this.
  7. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

It's certainly not the worst community, but it could use some improvement.

I went on a zombie server, and NO ONE was talking. I mean this is supposed to be a team-work based game, why is no one communicating? I'm sorry you had to go through that though, it's pretty rough at first.

8. stig700

stig700 Ballista Bolt Thrower

better why to comunicate would be voice over ip but that will get some raging problems

9. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Built in voice chat would be silly, because most people would have awful quality microphones. There's also the very real problem of people talking over each other constantly, which is painful to hear. If you want voice chat, the best bet is to play with others using mumble/skype/teamspeak, and it works perfectly well. Maybe it's even better than full team chat, because you know who each player you're talking to is.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  10. Azeal

Azeal Catapult Fodder

Honestly, if you are a new builder, come on the forums and read the builder subforum some. You want the basics like "no ground doors" "don't roof bridges" etc.
    When I see someone do this, I assume they're inexperienced and show/tell them a better way and what you shouldn't do. Showing an example of good building is the fastest way to teach imo.

Also, new builders are amazing siege builders. All you need is ladders and stone.

Recommended beginner class is archer though. If there are lives on the server, knights would just be feeding kills.
    Recommended progression is archer>knight>builder>you play whatever

11. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

To don't get banned like a shit when you (unvolontary too) griefed, connect to a creative server ( Build only ), with 0 player connected if possible, and make buildings.

Make like if you are in a normal server. Make tunnels and etc., and try to remember : IT CAN COLLAPSE. I made it when I was noobie, but now I'm good player ( As builder too )

12. arcanecat

arcanecat Shark Slayer

What? Tunnels Collapse, never saw that happen.

And back on topic: All newcomers go offense builder, and use ladders to climb and stone to block off entrances, or go Archer and learn to aim, And don't build any newcomer builders :/, Just please don't.
    (Until you know how to build)

13. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

The only thing I really see this applying to is catapults and "fixing" buildings or traps.

For catapults: They do take a decent amount of time to prepare. There's a lot of resource gathering involved in making a siege shop, building the actual catapult, loading it, and building a nest to shield it from archers. If I do all that preparation only to have some knight say "Move closr!" then grab it while I'm firing, take it down to the ground level, and fire 3 times from 2 spaces away from the enemy front door before being overrun and having it stolen and used against us, then, yeah, no amount of "just because you paid for it doesn't make it yours" will calm my rage. (sidenote: This has actually happened.)

For "fixed" buildings: It's just rude to trigger a builder's trap when he's standing there, right next to it. Thankfully, it now displays who caused the collapse, so I know for the rest of the map which builders I should tell to fuck off if they start making their way up to my perch. The absolute best case scenario is to explain why the building is inefficient (poor pathing, risk of being trapped inside, lack of support, ease of breach) and then alter the building to suit the team's needs, but that so rarely happens...

14. arcanecat

arcanecat Shark Slayer

Although I believe catas for mainly for late-game use, when your team has the higher tower advantage, and I feel cata early game is meh, because you have a higher chance of it being captured and used against you. I too would be mad, if a random knight grabbed my cata while firing, but I don't think you should get a ban for randomly taking a cata.

15. Fwiw, wasting catas to actually destroy something instead of wasting 900 rocks to kill 4 tiles on their roof is a good thing to do.

AnRK likes this.
  16. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

Oh, I hadn't banned him for it. I prefer stern warnings. I suppose I'm a bit of a softy, but I typically leave banning to the server owners, unless I see obvious grief.

An early-game catapult is indeed useful for suppressive fire. I have pretty good precision in my antipersonnel firings, and I find catapults an excellent method for taking out enemy knights and builders. If you don't fire blindly and acquire the range of the opponent's main exit to their tower, you can stifle their advances without knocking over anything.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.