1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Scripting Build Videos

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gunnar, Dec 30, 2012.

1. 16th

16th Bison Rider

no good :(

2. Notch climbing is out in scirpting. Same goes for all vertical team-only movement.
    What annoys me is you are already taking it for granted that this ia bad change while you haven't even played the game or haven't seen any video that actually shows how the game is played.
    You are making assumptions without even knowing the game. It's like saying "oh I like my hot dog the way I like my wurst, with a lot of bitter mustard". While 2 of those things are very similar and for sure origin from the same thing, there is no way that a hot dog bathed in bitter mustard wouldn't taste fucking awful.
    You have to stop being so attached to classic KAG because scripting is basically a new game with new physics, new rules, new quantity, new everything and comparing mechanics and gimmicks in two of those makes you just look silly.

thebonesauce, Bly, Froghead48 and 3 others like this.
  3. JimDeBrink

JimDeBrink Shopkeep Stealer

Nice, but how is this going to work online?
    //Merged with official thread. ~fbb

Gofio likes this.
  4. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Once the new game comes out, I'll take a serious look at the modding system to develop something in the lines of this. I want to create a singleplayer/cooperative survival game mode mod which would have a fun element of building a base, infrastructure, weapons and tools, then use them to conquer the land and defeat the impossible zombie menace either alone or with friends.

Somewhat like combining Zombie Fortress with Terraria, but different in the way that the game has an end goal. If possible, I might also look at making it persistent to some degree too(if a save/load system is possible), so you play it as an infinite adventure with a persistent character.

5. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

When I saw the new KAG video I..

[​IMG]

Its everything I dreamed of and more. It will be slightly more clunky to play from observation but I feel thats a justifiable for more variety in gameplay with greater depth and the ability to mod/script much more easily.

Seeing KAG take a step in this direction is amazing, it retains its arcade like origins of being a semi button mash sidescrolling brawler but now has additional depth to allow players to make decisions within the game enviroment to work as a team and crush their enemies.

6. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

EJ, i disagree with you. no notch climbing was the most effective way to get up. without it, we would have to use ladders allowing for all teams to go up and down buildings and then what is the point of buildings? so they removed notch climbing and you have not told us what they have replaced it with. In general, it is bad because we have no idea how it will be replaced.

how can we deattach our selves from a game we are familiar with and then not judge a game that hasn't been played by the majority of players.
    it seems you are only saying that, cause you must be a tester and have experienced the game

Froghead48 likes this.
  7. It's hilarious how you just did what I'd told you not to do. Don't say that things are bad just because you don't know them. And don't act like you were promised that everything owuld be explained and showed to you, you weren't.
    Also, as I have tried to explain (but apparently failed), you can't REPLACE. It's not the same game, things work differently. There won't be notch climbing, there won't be another idiotic and not fitting mechanic to replace it. There will be different flow, different things to use, different gameplay solutions and different gameplay (I'm repeating myself here because it seems like you didn't notice it while watching all developement videos). You can't replace things in 1:1 here. It's not the same game.
    What I'm telling you is, don't make idiotic assumptions, don't hate on anything, just wait and really, don't make suggestions now or cry over anything because you DON'T know how it looks like and, to be honest, your opinion doesn't matter. Even testers' opinion on this didn't matter, the devs are deciding how to develop their game and how to show it.
    Hey, you know, buildings will function with the same purpose they have functioned for last 10 thousand years. They will prevent people from reaching your territory.
    As you might have seen, there are doors. Doors can be placed in walls. You can use doors to move forth and back. I'll let you figure out the rest
    That's a great question. The answer is: stop thinking it's the same game but with boats. Enjoy the things you see, stop crying because you don't understand them. What I can guarantee you right now is that stupid mechanics and solutions were all taken together, removed and everything what doesn't work properly now, was/is being reworked.

tl;dr
    The devs can't actually tell you how notch climbing will be replaced because you won't understand/it will be too much leaking.

Froghead48, Schizoid, AnRK and 3 others like this.
  8. GloriousToast

IT IS THE SAME GAME, if it werent the same game then name it differently
    BOTH GAMES ARE RECTANGLES, JUST ONE IS A SQUARE

9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Part of me says stop the videos, they're raising the hype to an unbearable level.
    The other part says FEED ME MORE!

10. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

I do sure hope the modding API will be in usable shape when the game comes out.

11. Classic

Classic Bison Rider

Yes, looks nice and smooth.

Pure awesomeness. :D

12. Chaoticredux

Chaoticredux Shopkeep Stealer

this looks amazing , but any word on server side textures/files. I would love to mod in a modern combat mode or even remake soldat in kag.

Froghead48 and Reactorcore like this.
  13. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

No, no, no.

Noburu, Jlordo, Gofio and 3 others like this.
  14. GloriousToast

yes yes yes,
    would it be weird if someone saw this video and said "this video reminds me of pickles"

15. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

This. I wonder how much of an overhaul will be possible to do with the new engine.
    Using a robust engine that (hopefully) KAG 2 will be, you could practically build completely new games with that to some extent. Now that would be awesome.

16. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I just don't want to think about Terraria "This video reminds me of nothing, it's amazing and something I've never seen before" is better IMO.

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: lack of notching and team-only vertical travel

We realise this is likely to cause quite a bit of controversy, however it's necessary for siege to be important to the game without completely destroying people's ability to defend. A fort will stand up to infantry attack easily without units able to fly up the side, and defending combat won't be so vertical.

We may or may not include notching on its own, without the team-only aspect, because it does aid mobility quite a lot, but it's not currently part of the plan.

Literally every piece of game logic, all of the rules logic (ie how the game ends, what information is held about teams) and a bunch of the specific networking is done with scripting. Level loading from PNG is done with scripting. The whole game is a gigantic modding example. You're welcome.

As for syncing assets, it's something we're working on, but it's not something that's simple to solve in a way that's secure. Soldat's file syncing has been abused to sync viruses to people's computers. We don't want that to happen with KAG. Configs and scripts syncing from client to server should be done by the time it's ready for a public beta release, but not sound and image assets - they will have to be distributed separately, like the current classic roleplay mods.

Noburu, Froghead48, lavalord and 6 others like this.
  18. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

The new woodcutting looks badass.
    Hope the falling tree hurts people:D.

Bly and Chrispin like this.
  19. Mazey

You're talking about combat, is there going to be a combat video?
    I'm very sure combat will change, but good or bad, will it be like in the old builds (or similar to) or something completely new?

20. If you need a spriter, I'm in.