1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Lavalord's Map Making Bonanza

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by lavalord, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Edit: The comp has ended!!!
    Winner: Kouji
    Runner up: XYellowX
    The names of the map corresponds to the map maker.
    Welcome to yet another map making competition, don't despair... there's prizes
    If you haven't seen my post in the Map Sub-forum (link above) go read it now. I will be using this thread as a place for everyone to post their entries. This "bonanza" is brought to you by Kaizokuroof's and Lavalord's Australian Servers.If your like me, you're already forgotten the details, so I have posted them below for your convenience.

Do you accept this challenge?
    We want you to use the ideas you have learnt or think you have mastered to create some awesome maps. Post your entries here and we will select the best for some cool-ass stuff.

The Goodies :D
    First prize, a choice of one of the below:
    Offer 1: x Premium KAG Code + 1 x Forum Custom Title + $30 to spend on steam game(s) of your choice!
    Offer 2: $50 to spend on steam game(s) of your choice!
    Offer 3: if you really hate steam $50 to spread anywhere but they must accept PayPal.

Runner up, a choice of one of the below:
    Offer 1: 1 x Premium KAG Code OR 1 x Forum Custom Title + $10 To spend on a steam game of your choice!
    Offer 2: $20 to spend on steam game(s) of your choice!
    Offer 3: if you really hate steam $20 to spread anywhere but they must accept PayPal.

Marking Criteria
    I will evaluate them, consulting with respectable members of the community, in five categories out of five.
    * Size and linearity relative to the number of players and gamemode
    * Gold, tree and stone placement
    * Gradients
    * Team balance/ease of game progression
    * Level of refinement (achieve though testing)
    In my response post at the end of the competition, I will only display the total score out of twenty five as well as a critique for each map. I will be marking hard. Effort will be rewarded. Do not be dispirited if you receive an unexpected score. You learn more from a mistake then a success.

The rules
    Obviously the map needs to be created in light of reading this, so no old/existing maps.
    Any given person may submit only one map in this contest.
    Maps may be of any game format, but CTF is recommended.
    Maps may use premium tiles.
    Maps must be posted here, readily downloadable.
    Self-promotion and constructive criticism of other entries is acceptable
    No generated maps, however gm scripts are allowed (because I was asked at a later date)
    Maps must be submitted here no later then 11:59am 31/01/2013 AEST

butterscotch, Bly, Sarmane and 7 others like this.
  2. reyman

reyman Shopkeep Stealer

Wow, another great contest just after Hammer contest ... I have no time to make new map after Hammer :/
    Do you play some map created for Hammer lavalord ? With your experience (and your great tutorial), you have probably an opinion and some critics to do about maps already submitted in this previously contest.

3. Demon_Jester

Demon_Jester Haxor

am i allowed to join?... >..>

4. lavalord

Sure, this isn't judge by the public.
    I was too busy over the Christmas break to check them out. I was actually going to release this a while ago when the hammer contest started but then I decided to wait. In the coming days though I'll go through the maps submitted to the hammer contest and see if we can use some for the server.

5. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I'll make a map for this, first let's make my brain work.
    Also, I HAT STEAM, so that's too bad :l
    Are there alternatives for non steam users? Thanks for organising this anyways.

6. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

When I'm finishing my map, am I allowed to post it somewhere on the forum to get it critiqued before I submit it?

7. lavalord

If you don't want any steam games we are happy to just spend our money on anything that this huge Internet offers, as long as they accept PayPal.
    If your really unsure about your map, pm it to me and I'll give you a couple of tips. However please make sure you have read the guide first.

Guitarman likes this.
  8. Guitarman

Cool! Thats very kind of you. I've read and will reread many times :rollseyes: that handy guide.

9. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Why not just cash money on paypal :P

10. lavalord

I want to give something tangible not just cold hard cash
    </br>--- merged: Jan 10, 2013 10:13 AM ---</br>
    On the 1st of February we will host all the CTF maps entered on the "Australian CTF Server" renamed "Map Making Bonanza Server" for a week. Enjoy.

HardPenguin and Canadian98 like this.
  11. Eden

Eden Galen Slayer Donator

It's past the 1st of Jan, don't you mean the 1st of Feb? or?

12. lavalord

Why yes i do. :D

13. Eden

;)

Okay, so i'm guessing this is the first map inputted into the fantastic map making bonanza! This is a 100% originally made by me, Eden/Erex, i stole SOME idea's of other maps.
    I call it Terranova.

There's abit of everything in this map, Cave's/Hills/Them big hole's/Good vantage points/Much much more.

Took me a while, and Lava/Geti, your map making compilation tutorial really helped, so thanks!

Here it is, if you wan't in game footage, just say.

Terranova; [​IMG]
    Thanks, and good luck to everyone else! :)

Attached Files:

kaizokuroof likes this.
  14. lavalord

15. Eden

Yus, on the "new" map, i re-did all the demensions, the other map "Garden of Eden" was extremely small, and could only be used as a, i dunno.. maybe a RCTF? ... If you take a look, all of the things in the new map "Terranova, have been re-done, except the spawn's, i love the spawns on The Garden of Eden, it's my fancy, so that's really the only thing i used, and the big ditch, nothing big... every thing else was legit, i started again from scratch, just sort of re-used the spawn, and big.. ditch thing?

:)

And the guide is helping me under stand how to make a better map, this Terranova map is obviously better than the Garden of Eden, with numerous reasons.

16. lavalord

Alright fine, but don't you people reading this get any ideas, I want some brand new maps.

17. Guitarman

I have never made a map before, so I think good:p

18. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

From your profile, like you asked me :)

19. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

[CTF] Rocky (I guess)
    rocky.png

screen-13-01-10-14-14-17.png
    screen-13-01-10-14-14-25.png
    screen-13-01-10-14-14-34.png
    screen-13-01-10-14-15-37.png

FG, kaizokuroof, Sarmane and 4 others like this.
  20. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

I made a map, but I'm currently testing it online since it's a bit asymetrical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.