1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Started reading Lord of the Rings.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lieber, Jan 9, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Anyone else read/is reading what is possibly the best fantasy book of all time? Prologue was a damn long info dump, but the rest sounds promising.

Please note that I have read The Hobbit and watched the movies.

I mean, come on. Look at my profile picture.

dnmr likes this.
  2. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

I actually did too but I watched movies before.
    I've got the same feeling of you with the prologue, but after that, it comes really epic, even more than movies of Lord of the Rings.

3. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

In love with this song

Overlord and WarrFork like this.
  4. Lieber

That song is soooo awesome!

5. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

Damn right, if there is something that make me enjoy movies, it's soundtracks.

6. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

I read the Hobbit and was amazed! I started The Lord of The Rings but got lost in the prologue. I'm starting to think I should reread it after The Odyssey.

7. Lieber

The Odyssey of Homer?

Anyway, the Prologue is a long info-dump, but either skip it or speed through it, the very first chapter is already good.

8. Gio

Gio Catapult Fodder

While we're at soundtracks, I'd like to show you my most favourite youtube channel, which will literally take you to another realm.

Kill me if that's a lie.

9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Correction: Many, many, many other realms.

Gio likes this.
  10. Guitarman

Yeah, the Robert Fagles translation. I plan on starting it tonight, only time will tell if I enjoy it or not though. I've never read an epic/poem type book before, so there you go.

11. Lieber

I read it, I quite liked it.

I hope you enjoy it :)

12. Guitarman

I'm glad to hear that, especially from a fellow Hobbit/LTR fan!

EDIT:
    This is kinda random but a good book that I read last year was The Once and Future King by T.H. White
    Its a novel set around King Arthurs childhood and rise to the throne, Knights of the round table etc. It's one of my favorite books.

13. Lieber

I definitely have to check that out.

14. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I read Lord of the Rings when I was younger and found the Hobbit tolerable but golly gosh gee whiz did I ever hate the main trilogy. I kept pushing myself to pick it back up and power through because you know, it's allegedly one of those books you have to read. But there just came a point, around the last 10 pages of the third book, where I could literally just not stomach another word and I put it down. I've hated all the movies, for each movie people have put it on their DVD players and been like "yo watch this with me" and I've given it a fair chance and sat down to watch it, but every time I just end up walking away. I found the new Hobbit movie pretty watchable though, if a bit long.

I dunno I'm not saying it's bad if people like it or anything, I just found it tedious. The series takes itself so damn seriously and I feel it's just constantly elbowing me going "ehh ehhhh look at how important this is".

And don't get me wrong, I love books. Around when I read LotR I would read (non LotR books) for hours every day, sometimes skipping meals to just straight read for like 8 hour periods.

15. Guitarman

Trust me, I have read books where I read 10 pages and then couldn't stand to read more. I can totally relate to
    what you're saying.

16. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

This part gets me hard errytime

The one thing I didn't like about the hobbit movie though, was how each part that was made to look important was wayyyy over dramatic. Like each time putting the music which is epic no doubt, but in unneeded places.

Still a damn good movie though...

17. Lieber

The feeling that it's always so serious and it's nudging you to see how important stuff is, is probably because Lord of the Rings was written as part of a mythology. It's kind of like reading a history book. But I had that feeling with other books, so I totally understand you.

Contrary and Guitarman like this.
  18. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

Tolkien basically wrote a hole alternate universe when he wrote The Hobbit and LOTR, one of the reasons why I love it so much <3

19. Andr01d

Andr01d Bison Rider

I never got past Tom Bombadil. :(

20. Lieber

I'm about to get to that part. Wish me luck.

Overlord likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi