1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Soldat

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Tsuki, Jun 4, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

2. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

up again

3. Mani

Mani Shipwright

I came to KAG from Michal's blog (http://mm.soldat.pl/) - used to be a regular player of Soldat since pre-1.2 it seems, got an email here from 2004 saying I registered for the forums then.

4. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

I'm getting an error every time I start the game saying I don't have DX8, and that I should run it in compatibility mode. After an hour of troubleshooting I gave up with no progress. I've reinstalled my DirectX and drivers, reinstalled Soldat, etc.

5. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Run windowed. Hotfix is on its way. Also you can try

6. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

Alright, thanks. I wanted to try this game because with how amazing MM is, it's gotta be good.

7. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

I was also a keen Soldat player. Soldat is in my opinion the best online action game ever. But I can't play it anymore since I switched to Linux. It's just because I was looking for some information about running Soldat on Linux I found MM's homepage and noticed KAG :)

8. elephanthunter

elephanthunter Shipwright

Soldat was a great game because MM listened to the community and fostered fan app development. He built a game with minimal hardware requirements in a time where all the new games required fancy graphics cards. He fixed hacks and kept the game viable for years.

I played Soldat for a long time, mostly in high school. Later on I switched to doing website work and forum administration. Now that my real-life job entails sitting at the computer for hours on end, I've become somewhat disenchanted with my old PC-related hobbies. My participation in the community is pretty low now.

KAG though, I believe, has more potential than Soldat (or Link-Dead) could ever have. Despite the tiled board and the pixelated graphics, KAG has more of "polished" feel than any of MM's previous games. And for the first time in a long while, I am excited about what the next release will bring.

9. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

Basicly, Soldat has the bigger potential, the game is 10 years active running, how's that more proof of potential?
    The game had is up's and downs and is still alive, no game has such a history.

I agree on KAG the "next releases" are really making me too excited, but soldat is in his way much more unique then KAG is, i simple cant find a game where gameplay (ofc with good movement skills only) is that quick and exciting.

KAG is simply not that unique cauze it is a bit of a minecraft clone, sadly minecraft grows MUCH faster and that is the point again of the potential. (ofc its not a clone, but the idea isnt that diffrent)

Also, people seem to forget, theres still Shoozza developing Soldat, so also there will be new releases, 1.6.3 for example recently.

I hope on many more MM made games for the next years and i hope actually that MM and THD will grow to a bigger label once, so that milions go into MM's cash-bag, he earns it damne.

Regards, Loki

10. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I used to play Soldat a few years ago, back when I had a shitty computer that couldn't really handle online play. So I used to just put a bunch of bots into a deathmatch game and score tons of kills. Looking back, I bet if I had been able to get online, I would have crushed motherfuckers.

BeasterDenBeast likes this.
  11. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

It's not too late for it yet !!!

12. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Hahaha! Maybe so, but I've been out of practice for years now. :(

13. elephanthunter

elephanthunter Shipwright

There was a time when Soldat had a large international community and great potential, but that time has passed. Now Soldat is a shell of its former self, and the stagnant development rate is only making things worse. Just take a look at the latest release notes. The updates have good fixes, but nothing I would consider a "new feature".

Also, Soldat is more unique than KAG? I think you are making a couple of mistakes here. Less importantly, Soldat is not unique. MM mentioned on multiple occasions that Soldat was heavily inspired by the game Liero. More importantly, you are falsely assuming that uniqueness is linked to potential. Look into the history of Minecraft and its creator. You'll find that Minecraft is nothing more than a mashup of Infiniminer and Wurm Online. And if you haven't noticed, Terraria enjoyed widespread popularity despite being far less unique than KAG.

dnmr likes this.
  14. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

noones playing soldat anymore....
    ='(
    or maybe everyone just hates me and they hacked my pc so
    that I wouldnt be able to play online on any given moment...

15. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

I myself can't really get "into" soldat.
    Also, please don't compare KAG to MC! D:

16. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Yeah I used to play Soldat. I still regard it as one of the best online action games out there.

And I made that old as heck soldat fan comic back then aswell, I was such a naive and attention craving brat back then, perhaps I still am.

But now Xiaojin67 is doing a way better job than I ever did so I can just lean back and watch the fireworks. :B):

aroh likes this.
  17. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

i must confess I began to play KAG because sado told me about it once we were playing soldat

18. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

I play KAG only because I am a BIG Soldat fan and I followed MM's works.

19. Andr01d

Andr01d Bison Rider

I used to play Soldat pretty heavily back in the day. In fact, the way I found out about KAG was when I was at my friend's house, and saw that he had a Soldat icon on his desktop. I was like "holy shit, I didn't know anyone else played Soldat!" And he started telling me about KAG. And before that, I got into Soldat from playing Liero, which was literally a decade ago at this point. God damn I have a long history of freeware 2d multiplayer games. AKA I'm a fucking loser with no social life for going on a decade now hahahahaha *gunshot*

HardPenguin and dnmr like this.
  20. aroh

aroh Builder Stabber

I used to play Soldat years ago, for a long time on a daily basis. Game was super addictive and fun.

Mods: BlueLuigi