1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

It’s Official - KAG’s coming to Steam!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by VanHuek, Mar 17, 2013.

1. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

It’s Official - KAG’s coming to Steam!
    News has got out on the forums about this slightly prematurely, but for those that haven’t been keeping up: KAG will go on Steam with it’s first stable release!

[​IMG]

Incidentally, this is why we’ve been silent in response to everyone asking us to jump on greenlight; we’ve actually had the metaphorical “green light” in excess of 8 months now!
    What does this mean for KAG?
    1. Firstly, for existing paid members, nothing much will change except you’ll be part of a larger community. You won’t have to repurchase a licence, be forced to use steam, or anything like that. You’ll still be able to log in with non steam credentials.
    2. For existing free members, your access will be limited to classic KAG only. You will have to pay for the game through one of the many available means to access the full version.
    3. For server hosts, you’ll still be able to host servers with the normal methods, but may have extra options for steam specific things, like filtering players out via VAC.
    4. For people who’d like to buy but can’t due to payment method issues, you’ll have access to all the payment options of a large, well supported platform like Steam!
    5. More money for us, which will mean we’re less stressed about being able to pay rent, food and bills and able to focus more on finalising KAG and working on other games!
    The plan is to get the game ready for public beta (which MM is going to explain about soon), iron out the inevitable kinks that turn up, and then release on Steam when it’s ready. The time frame on this is obviously quite variable (no, we can’t give you a release date), but the game is coming together nicely at the moment.
    We’ll be working our butts off while we’re in the same space for GDC this year (next week and the week after that), and will try to keep you as up to date as possible in these exciting times!
    Once it’s polished enough, you guys will get your mitts on it before the rest of the world does, to give it another run through, and eventually the final “OK”!
    Last but not least a special announcement video with some effects you’ve all been waiting for to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zOQ_DlgwLuI
    ~Geti/MM
    Made this thread for discussion.

noonann, WhiteBulL, Evan5567 and 17 others like this.
  2. nickingliss

nickingliss Builder Stabber

I have a question. I have a steam account with no purchases on it, is there a way for it to recognize I have bought the game therefore allowing me to do other stuff on Steam

3. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

You won't need to repurchase the game. You would know that if you'd read the post. (see #1)

4. Razzey

Razzey Builder Stabber

You need to have the game on Steam, which is not available atm. If you have it on Desura and you want to know if you can link the accounts? Then the answer is NO.

5. galdrad

galdrad Shopkeep Stealer

Does Steam will support texture pack? X3

(Sorry for my bad English)

6. Texture packs are client-side, so yes.

7. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

You will still be able to install texture packs and the like, Steam will have no impact on that (but the install location)

8. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

Wow I'm so ridiculously excited. I bet there will be so many more new players when this happens! :D

9. AyesDyef

AyesDyef Hat enthusiast. Donator

Yeck Hes!
    But one question from me, will you be KaG to the workshop where people can submit their own hats and skins?

LostPix likes this.
  10. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I can see Steam trophies: Stone killer: +100 Hammer kills!
    The loner: get into enemy's base only by digging

i believe MM has some creativity in this kind of things, if that happens

11. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

AyesDyef likes this.
  12. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

How would the game detect any of those if it doesn't have built in stats?

13. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

But,the risk of Kag being on steam is moar griefers and some stuck up people who are new but think there good etc.

Foxodi likes this.
  14. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

That already happened before and the community survived. We'll survive again.

15. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

That's the bottom list of concerns, I think new wave of players will refresh this game.

Steam Workshop support would be amazing, installing texture packs or mods with ease and ability to get updates to them once new version of said mod is out, getting KAG on Steam only has positives in my opinion, best mods will be praised so I wouldn't worry about cluttering.

16. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

17. Saoblol

Saoblol Catapult Fodder

I have the same question like him, and it is not answered by the #1 point, Sir Smartass.

If I were to buy the licence now, will I be able to add the purchased key later to my Steam account when the game hits the Steam store? I'd rather have the game in my Steam library and would wait with the purchase if its not possible.

18. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

It is answered by #1.
    To clarify: When KAG hits Steam, you'll be able to play either via Steam or standalone client. The choice is yours.

19. Saoblol

Saoblol Catapult Fodder

No, my question is: Will I be able to add the current key to my Steam account. I know that I can play it either way, but I prefer having my games in Steam whenever possible.

20. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

What I only know is, "For Premium Players"
    Plus "For existing free members, your access will be limited to classic KAG only. You will have to pay for the game through one of the many available means to access the full version."

Source : http://devlog.kag2d.com/post/45590294845/its-official-kags-coming-to-steam