1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 156 released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Sep 21, 2011.

1. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Another quick patch. We're ironing everything out before the next major builds that will bring some awesome new stuff. In the meantime the major bugs are being eradicated, I'm especially proud of fixing the collapsing issues. Should look much better now!

Kagesha, kiro and illu like this.
  2. archont

archont Shopkeep Stealer

Why?

Infinite resources on warmup = less running around = bigger castles further away from the starting point. In my book that was a GOOD thing.

It had some disadvantages, meaning forts shifted further toward the enemy, distance from tent being irrelevant. Some people spammed doors as a way of stockpiling wood. But the bigger forts it resulted in were rather cool.

3. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

You can manage big forts if your team worked together. I don't really get why everyone wanted infinite resources, it's not a creative server, you should have to do what you can in the time given to you and with certain constraints. No constraints is just boring.

4. archont

archont Shopkeep Stealer

Contradict yourself a lot?

In case you haven't realized it yet, in both cases, infinite resources at tent and infinite resources in sack are both instances of infinite resources. In both cases the constraint is time.

Also a major teamplay element got removed when resource items were implemented. Back then one or two builders were actually building a fort, the rest could run back and forth bringing resources. That way the more skilled builders could build the best structure possible according to their plans. However since now both the skilled and unskilled builder have to run back and forth and there's really no time to waste the less skilled builders will continue building that tower - usually erecting a giant, thin door ladder.

I'd like to see this as a server option. Unless, I'm guessing, it possibly interferes with the upcoming changes.

AJ and Cagar like this.
  5. Neat

Heh yeah, i'll admit I slipped up there.

But either way, you saw big castles emerging with infinite resources, and also massive door stacks, which suck. With having to go to the tent every now and then people were at least aware they have to build something practical, which a thin door ladder is. I'd rather be stuck with that than a mess of doors and stone that infinite resources gave us. Talk about elongating the game even more, which was already a problem.

I agree with you that is the ideal scenario, but infinite resources doesn't exactly help, it gives the less skilled builders room to screw everything up. At least with limited resources per tent visit the less skilled builders don't ruin everything so much.

And again, infinite resources is just catering to lack of skill which is not my policy. You don't need so much stone and wood to create a good practical building, only the bad builders need that much to make something of it.

Wouldn't mind a serverside option though.

illu likes this.
  6. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

We must add actual instances of practical building in the building tutorial!
    Teach them that thin walls are not the answer!

7. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

There's another line in the "readme.txt" which is missing in the announcement:
    Code:
    fixed not being able to open servers browser after playing tutorial

8. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

This was communicated to MM on IRC so i assume it's a hotfix (we talked about it about 30 mins after 156 was released). that's why it's not up there.

p.s. originally reported on the previous build @ http://kagforum.com/index.php?threads/build-154-released.1240/#post-18896

9. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

There's still collapsing issues : http://puu.sh/5Vm5

EDIT : 2 players told me they couldn't play and now they can, thanks to the crash fix for old video cards :D

10. Catakus

Catakus KAG Guard Tester

Found an issue. While I dug out two pieces of stone out of a giant wall (used ladder for support to it wouldn't collapse). I put a door in place of one, but I couldn't put a door in the other spot. It took my 40 wood, but no support. Took down a few trees for wood, died/respawned, but it just kept taking the 40 wood and never put in the door.

11. Neat

I had an issue like that except with a drawbridge. I took it as a one off thing and didn't mention it, but actually it's the same issue you had.

12. mishKa

mishKa Mayo for everybody. ┗┃・ ■ ・┃┛ Donator

I had similar problems. I build a back wall+stone to drop them down to enemies, but when I tried to add new stones at the same spot, not only I lost my resources but the stones never even appeared!

13. Miczu

Miczu Shopkeep Stealer

Small thing but after disconnect I can't [escape] to main menu - need to restart the game.

And small thing (it's not needed in any particular way): I can't bind controls to extra 2 buttons on my mouse (worked great in good old counter strike 1.6 [fast grenades]). LMB,RMB, middle mouse button, scroll up and down works if that is any help.

14. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Erm,does the "- fixed collapsing issues (floating blocks & not all blocks collapsing)" mean there should be no more of them?Cause there is,lots of it.
    Drawbridges colapsed good in 151-154 but now they are stuck in mid air.
    Stone blocks also.
    OP is going wild again whit the sounds.diglindiglindiglingdiglnig.
    Will you try to fix the cata bug when you just crash mid air?Dont know why stone never does that :S It has nice patch.

15. Strathos

Strathos KAG Guard Tester

How to reproduce:
    1 - Build this 5 block structure.
    Bug1.png
    2 - Destroy the castle background block.
    Bug2.png
    3 - Try to build something where the castle background block was.

Resources are spent, but the block doesn't materialize as usual.

16. Catakus

Catakus KAG Guard Tester

We need test servers again :O

illu likes this.
  17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Indeed we do. Perhaps we can have a testing frenzy this weekend with bomb workshops and perhaps finite stacks and so on (see below).

Re: infinite resources/"QQ I liked my buildings"

I think a finite number of resource stacks available upon starting the game (edited serverside of course) would make a lot more sense than what we have now - what we have now encourages building huge slabs of rock and hasty building to get as many blocks on the map as possible rather than smart use of what you do get. I'm also becoming aware that building doesn't happen that much late-game because getting resources is difficult and time consuming, but this means that repair also doesn't happen.​

We're working on a coins system which you'll be able to use to get items from buildings, and buy bombs and so on, and I think that'll make getting resources for building later on in the game much simpler. Free resupply encourages spamming (including knight suicide and 30-tile wide solid stone walls), everything having a small cost but being available throughout means that you actually need to manage what you have. No more suicide because "oh no I threw my bomb and missed and oh no there's archers better not let them get the kill" - you'll drop funds upon dying and also likely be fined for suicide (essentially losing more coins from F+E than you would from getting killed in combat).​

The way I'm angling for there'll also be no auto-resupply at outposts and so on, you'll buy or make items before using them - planks of wood and lumps of stone from a market or tree chopping or the mines, arrows from fletching or wood conversion at a workshop, bomb construction at a workshop, and so on.​

Arrow workshops are planned so that a team's builders can stockpile arrows easily (also useful for arrow traps) and bomb workshops are coming posthaste because we're as sick as you guys of knights pouring over the wall, detonating and respawning.​

We're still working out the particulars, but outside of creative/sandbox/build mode unlimited resources seem to encourage players to spam, not think. That's shit.​

More ranting later perhaps. I've got to clean up the TODO tonight but I've also got two assignments looming for uni, so I'm pressed for time.

Neat, kiro, Cagar and 1 other person like this.
  18. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

is f3 broken?

19. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

Definitely sounds amazing. Would be an awesome surprise to have testable bomb-shops this weekend, and a coin system sounds fantastic.

Regarding the warm-up, I've had similar thoughts of a treasure chest that could be used for storing resources, gold-rush gametypes, and dealing with warm-up resource allocation.

20. Catakus

Catakus KAG Guard Tester

The block glitch is really annoying, I can't build on the front lines because if a block was previously destroyed there, it just takes resources and nothing happens.