1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

State of the beta

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Mar 20, 2013.

1. OGarrus

OGarrus Catapult Fodder

i hope they will fix that archers moves :rollseyes: running like a girl whos gonna to be raped by a Dynasaur is ugly now:eek:

HardPenguin likes this.
  2. ProzacK

ProzacK Shipwright

Many many many thanks!!! This is the status update i needed and it's awesome! I agree TOTALLY on many aspects of this post, like the farming and canopy issues, and now i'm sure more than ever that Kag 1.0 will be MY Kag! Many thanks! :heart:

3. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Running like a girl? Running like a 1337 ninja bawss pro... or whatever you kids might call it nowadays.

LetsplayCmansez, vampo, Ghozt and 2 others like this.
  4. Girls are sexy and have boobies :3 I prefer them over "dynasaurs" that are fat.

5. studios

studios Shipwright

This project's scope just keeps expanding with no clear end goal. Meanwhile testing involves a select group of arrogant KAG guards that suck the dev's dick--the dev isn't creatively challenged. I have no idea where this game is going. When it's released I hope it resembles original KAG, but I fear it won't. The game isn't about building castles anymore, it's about attacking them. The game isn't about team work anymore, it's about "fun."

Don't give me a bullshit reply like "well that's what modding is for" that's the same awful reply as "well if you don't like it go make your own game." No one will play on modded servers. It's all about vanilla.

HardPenguin likes this.
  6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You can still shield archers though. If the cover was only as strong as the knight's shield, then it would be pointless because you could just do it as a knight, no reason for another item - if it was stronger and didn't get knocked aside, then it's boring because you could be afk and doing just as good a job - and a building would provide the same level of cover.
    There's a large armoured siege boat for attacking while covered, so the canopy seemed a very pointless item. As Shad mentioned, you can easily mod it in and see for yourself, but we want the game to be fun for everyone, not require someone to "enjoy" standing in one spot for a long time.

That's great, but it still needed to be tested before discarding it.

This still happens with the drill, it's just less tedious than clicking the ram over and over on the wall. It's a very similar mechanic, but design to have more than one use (mining and destroying walls, possible to hurt enemies), since it never made sense why the ram could break stone walls but couldn't hurt natural tiles, and had little effect on players. I think the drill is much more engaging and useful than a ram.

As for zombies and whatnot: classic isn't going anywhere so you can still play classic zombies, and we're focussing on getting the main KAG gamemode finished before we work on any spinoff content. We'll update the site as soon as possible, but MM and I aren't particularly involved in that side of things, so we can only really nag the guys who work on it to fix it.

For those disappointed in things not making it, make note that we are making sure the game is fun rather than just giving you what we said we would a while ago regardless of if it is fun or not. I think this is a better deal for you guys than us delivering something that fit the old spec exactly but proved to be no fun.

We've been working the last 2 days from 6am to 12am with breaks for meals, it's been very productive, but exhausting as well. We're very much hoping that we're onto the final slog before we can give you guys a beta.

7. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Keep that HYPE. Dinosaurs for best feature 2013.

LetsplayCmansez and VanHuek like this.
  8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This happened as I posted. Don't come in here and sling shit.

I'm not telling you to go mod the game, I'm telling you we're working our asses off on making the game enjoyable, scoping down and we have the end in sight. Over 80% of the testers aren't and never have been guards. None of them are sucking our dick. Feel free to say we aren't creatively challenged, but stating that the game "isn't about building castles, it's about attacking" when you don't have access to the game is blind fearmongering.

The beta resembles the original KAG the same way super mario bros 3 resembles super mario bros. It's more polished, optimised, has more content, and is more customisable.

9. studios

studios Shipwright

"We want the game to be dynamic and focus more on attacking than defending."

Sounds like it's going to end up like the clan matches where players rely on 5 tile high walls to defend. How many testers does the game have even? And yes I'm going to still go with you guys aren't creatively challenged. The groupthink among the high tier KAG community was obvious in every gold server.

HardPenguin and Worm like this.
  10. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

You and Geti are epic :) And makes epic game :) But why we cant play Test version like when you was making firstworkshops? :)

11. massivebacon

massivebacon Shopkeep Stealer

You said that you had all the stuff that was on that chart made and in game. Why not release a build so that we, as a community who was promised those features, at least get to test and try them out on a larger scale? I find it disappointing that you are making shifts to the game for what you feel it should be, not what your community may or may not want it to be.

This used to be a game about defending your castle from people trying to steal your gold, and it sounds like you are just making it a game centered around attacking. You already lost a ton of old KAG players when you took too long developing zombie mode, and I fear that you'll lose the last of us when you make a mode that targets a different objective than the one you initially promised.

12. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

saw was MM and liked it before reading it at all XD
    i could forsee battering rams working like melee catapult with a loading bar and more health and can be damaged by swords. battering rams could look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rather then the hand holding one

Invaders, HardPenguin and Rayne like this.
  13. Livorion

Livorion Shipwright

So, who was posting lies about "future content" in the Facebook and Blog? please, fire that guy or admit you just tried to hook people to buy the game with all that stuff.

It always felt like that, small screenshots with no information, no comments from the guy sharing that for WEEKS, the videos, everything.

I understand you can't do that now, but there are just too many things that are "already done but can't release now" and then "oh it didn't work after all, sorry".

HardPenguin, studios and massivebacon like this.
  14. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

Whilst a lot of you think that public testing would be great but in reality it is just lots of people creating identical threads, requesting unrealistic features and have little knowledge of what it means to make these features. The Devs would have to spend a lot time looking through everything explaining why that is happening, how to get it working, why that idea won't work, organise testing for the public and answer questions on new changes. At the moment the Devs aren't necessarily there when we test and we are quite diverse testers and all have different opinions and we are hardly 'sucking the Devs dicks'; Geti lives in Australia and MM in Poland think through the logic!

Different thing slightly but still applies:
    Personally, I do not respond to individual support requests or personal messages (with a few rareexceptions). Why, you ask? Wouldn't that help develop community? Doesn't ignoring it hurt the product? Well, actually, the truth might be startling: no. Not at all. Let's look at a graph:
    [​IMG]
    This graph shows a hypothetical (and somewhat realistic) scenario in which I decide to take in support requests. A low estimate of the number of emails/PMs I get a day is 2 new ones per day (it's more like 3-5). I also assume (again, a low estimate) that each response takes 30 minutes of work. This scenario assumes that I respond - and we also assume that persists the communication and support, since I'd have to respond to their response, and so forth. So the first day, I've got one request. 30 minutes gone from my development time that day. Not bad. But see what happens to my free time as I add more responses? The amount of time I get to actually fixing the product decreases exponentially. By Day 5 I'm barely even coding or documenting anymore.

15. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

This new mode is genuinely fun to play, although I've unfortunately not had the chance for a decently large game of it yet, with my experiences so far being either alone or with a small group. It's still just as much about the defending side of the game, despite what Geti has said, judging from my actual experience of it. If anything, a lot of the features added provide new and innovative techniques for defensive construction.

Attack is the only true way to win, but defence is essential. You need to build strategically, otherwise you will be at a disadvantage; as mentioned in the blog post, you need to build factories to create your war machines, and they need to be defended otherwise you're entire team will fail in it's goal.

Sure, it isn't going to be exactly as the developers once promised, but they've already explained that many times over. If a planned feature doesn't work out and isn't fun to use, then by what virtue should it be retained? As explained with the ram and the portable cover, it was silly to implement such things exactly as fortold when that method would have turned the game towards shit. The drill is honestly better, and the scope that I've already seen this version of the game being stretched to is pretty damn great. I mean, flying machines and the likes are barely scraping the surface of the capabilities that will be born with release.

16. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Studios I believe you do not understand the main focus of the closed beta. The original KAG's coding was flawed; with each addition of new features the team would run the risk of detrimentally changing core gameplay in ways that made combat unenjoyable. As shown by Geti's statement the main focus on the closed beta test was to create an engine that allowed the addition of new features without detracting from the core gameplay.

While you are right that a smaller test group will limit feedback, the mob mentality of many KAG consumers and the scathing vitriol of many commenters did not offer constructive criticism as to what exactly was wrong. Thus the team made the decision to make the tests a closed beta. While you question the integrity of the testers, many members of the test group challenge (to the point of extreme arguments) the developers with each decision implemented in order to make sure that each design decision is not a mistake. All of the volunteer testers set out for this goal (or one very similar to it), "Clearly defining what gameplay made the original KAG fun and cementing that gameplay so that future additions would not detract from it."

17. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

Couple of questions:
    1. how much information will be released on the game prior to the launch of the beta?
    2. how is bomb jumping now?
    3. Regarding the matter of the testers, when was the last one added?
    4. Are you going to let some non-testers to scout out the game prior to launch?

studios likes this.
  18. Livorion

Livorion Shipwright

The Knight for example, is the best Unit so far, in most games he doesn't really needs the Archer or the Builder, it is the most satisfactory class to play, best mobility, best attacks, and they just keep adding more to the Knight from time to time.

IMO they should not be able to use bombs, and if another unit gets to use the bomb, that unit should not get a Shield, I hate the bomb jump, sure it is fun, but too overpowered for the Builders and Archers.

studios likes this.
  19. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

It's already been said that the beta will be launched for the pre-existing premium members BEFORE it is released on steam, this is because once the game in is a good enough state, we want high player count games to further test out the new gamemode and optimizations.

vampo likes this.
  20. studios

studios Shipwright

That's what I fear, that the best team will just be all knights with a few siege equipments. Taking bomb from them would be a good idea.

Dude you can't assume we are all on the forums 24/7.