1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

State of the beta

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Mar 20, 2013.

1. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

Wait for the next post I'm creating, might satisfy quite a few.

NinjaCell, Guitarman and Hella like this.
  2. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

If I'm not satisfied, I will be sorely disappointed.

NinjaCell, delankski, Ghozt and 3 others like this.
  3. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

unfortunately, due to the player versus player nature of this game, we have to consider how much fun those idiot archers are having as well. when you stack redundant and overpowered counters against a player, it isn't very fun. knights can already shield. give them a canopy? why do archers even have arrows anymore?
    i know you already addressed this, but for everyone else i wanted to say that features aren't dropped just because one or two testers didn't like it. they are dropped or changed when all of us have used them extensively and no one is going back. i'm sorry, but when zero out of forty or so don't even bother to make the item, it is unlikely that many if any of the rest of you would have fun with it. imho, a feature shouldn't be there, cluttering everything up because one person out of 50 thinks it is quite novel!
    the modding system is quite efficient. having an understanding of angelscript/C++ helps a lot, but because there are a lot of scripts already, they can be modified, giving tinkering access to potential modders who don't have that knowledge.
    actually, i believe you have it inverted. for me it started very frustrating and destructive. but i eventually learned to enjoy losing, in good sport. the game is fun either way and i take it way too seriously. i don't think that competition is at all inherently destructive. i think quite the opposite. i think that competition is the best way to drive our species to improve. i think that you may be misreading a lot of the people you encounter on the internet. in regards to your xbox live messages involving death threats, you seem to be under the impression that on the other end is some violent, frustrated teenager who's probably smashing all his mom's vases or worse, where in reality there could just as easily be 4 giggling trolls. maybe i'm misreading you. either way, i'd say you're hard pressed to demonstrate empirically the destructive nature of competition. although, i like to fight competitively as well, so maybe you're right. ;)

4. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

Oh boy! You'll love it.

NinjaCell and PinXviiN like this.
  5. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

@vanhuek
    When your role playing stuff comes out to the general public, will players (trusted ones) be able to mod in their own classes (within reason)? will they likely be people who are admins/guards/paying players only?

6. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

That would require art and scripting, if they did that then yes.

7. eamono

eamono Arsonist

From what I have heard about 1.0 it sounds like it balances out kind of like a RTS game, every unit (playstyle/class) is very good against some units, but will suck against a different unit. your oponent has a 25 boat armada? make some ballistas and that should take care of that. Farming also seems to borrow alot from RTS games (im assuming farming shortens spawn times), anyone familiar with Starcraft or Warcraft knows that the gatherers are the backbone of the whole game, without them you will make little to no units at all.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

KAG is dipping its toes into the RTS stuff but it's not sure if it likes the temperature of the water yet.

9. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

First off: You're amazing for even playing that game.

Secondly, I do agree with the complaints about the game being based on attack; it needs to have some defensive element to it, just bum rushing isn't much fun *cough*Planetside*cough*, an array of ways to defend (like the plethora of ways to attack) would be nice.

10. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Just remember: anything you can use to attack, you can use just as efficiently to defend. You can't defend unless you have at least some kind of offensive weapon, and building fortifications is still just as necessary.

NinjaCell and delankski like this.
  11. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

I think I heard somewhere that they are completely reworking Z.F. I just think I heard this, I don't know if it's true or not.

12. Cpa3y

Cpa3y Shark Slayer

When I reading your posts I wishing the 'dislike' button there.
    The statement 'Loosing sucks' is true for casual games. But KAG isn't casual game.
    There is many examples of successfull competitive game. I agree that cooperative games becomes popular novadays. But it don't mean that all games must be cooperative.

And I have question to you: How can you consult someone in gamedesign if you have so onesided point of view? I mean you advertise your service in signature, but personally for me: I never pay to man who can't examine several choices and options.
    Let's make game about bees which collect the nectar and make honey.

13. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

At this stage, all the testers are extensively testing the new "War" mode. You have to remember the Dev team is small, so if they're working on something, they're working for quality. That said, I'm not certain about the road map and what they plan on working once War mode is perfect.

The Drill is multi-purpose, after all, it's a Drill! Use your imagination, what else can you use a drill for? :)

As for the overworld, the KARPS Project is something you should do some research on, I'm not sure if I can tell you this, or if I should be mentioning this at all, but it will be similar to what you want.

To all the people that feel disappointed or let down that some of the promised features haven't quite been made yet, give it some time, the War gametype is HUGE, basically a new game and is well worth the wait. If I read a previous post by Geti correctly, it's not all they want to be working on.

With that said, some of the testers have already played with the modding system, myself included and I've got to say, while you might be skeptical of the mod idea, it's going to revolutionize KAG! Think of the current custom gameytpes, with locked down art and the few variables we have to play with people have still made fantastic gametypse, including the Sumo Server, Invisible RTDM just to name a few. Seeing as some of the testers are creating their own gametypes, when KAG Script build is released, you might find some additional unofficial gametypes released shortly after. :)

vampo and VanHuek like this.
  14. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

KARPS will most likely be the largest project, beyond a mod, and will be recreating certain aspects of the game and making a true adventure mode, like I said I will be making a big post soon when KAG 1.0 is closer to release and when I have some graphics finished. I will be taking the project beyond that of a role play server and also multiplayer...

15. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I always laugh when I see people say, "LOSING ISN'T FUN," because I love this game, whether I'm winning or losing. It's a blast either way.

NinjaCell, rocker2, Ninja12 and 4 others like this.
  16. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Lol at people getting mad at things they know nothing about. new Kag still favors defense,maybe even a lot more than classic. Siege machines do help punch through defenses but they don't come online until late game. Also kag is casual.

NinjaCell likes this.
  17. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

One of the main problems I am seeing from all these posts is about the testers. Most of the testers actually have a decent idea on what they are doing and how to play the game. And like Bone said, they don't just sit there jerking off (except Rayne).

NinjaCell, thebonesauce and VanHuek like this.
  18. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

Very damn fun to lose, and anyone who says otherwise has never played or heard of Dwarf Fortress.

NinjaCell, Anded and kubasanus like this.
  19. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Everyone is afraid of what they don't know, as am I.

I honestly think the idea of making the beta public for a day or two is a really good idea. After reading through everything, I can tell that the game has changed radically, mostly for the better in my opinion (although I really hope building is still the most important part, not destroying), but honestly, I have no goddamn clue on what the game is like now. Whatsoever. Seriously, the information is so confusing that I barely even know what game I'm going to be playing in (hopefully) a few months. I'm anxious that the game is something too radically different, something I didn't sign up for. I trust the devs to make a fun game, the fun I have with the current KAG is proof enough for me, but is it still the game I wanted when I first bought the alpha? Maybe I'm too innocent, but I would hope it's still roughly the game I bought way back when. I don't wan't to buy TF2 to get Counterstrike, even if both are great games.

Like I said, I think a day or two of an open beta would be good. One short burst of feedback, everyone gets to taste the new KAG, and we get some relief (and at least SOMETHING new, goddammit). Either that or something considerably more in detail of what the beta is like, because frankly, all this info, although nice, doesn't really paint a clear picture. All I really know is "shit changed, new stuff, being tested, wait longer." I know you guys are working hard, I sympathize, but throw us a bone here.

Ghozt likes this.
  20. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Interesting you think of it that way, since I believe the opposite. You might find this article interesting, it explains why this is the case:
    http://www.shareintl.org/archives/cooperation/co_nocontest.htm

Point is, competition does more harm than good. A simple good example of this is having two companies work on developing some new technology. In they are made to compete with each other, this means they cannot share vital information each other or help in any other way, that would enhance both of their technologies, just because they're competing.

In the same situation if they were cooperating, they could still go seperate paths, but help each other out by giving them useful information, that makes both of their technologies much better than if they had worked isolated from each other.

Basically competition just puts up artificial obstacles and generates hostility that impede the real improvement our species makes.

Zer0Striker and vampo like this.