1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archer Utility?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by Karsonatorz, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

The only reason archer is Over/Underpowered and needs/doesnt need extra stuff is that its the only class in which skill changes the game.
    unskilled builders can be easily corrected, and unskilled knights will manage, somehow, eventually,
    but if you are good at archer, you can climb walls, even ceilings with ease, and snipe down all enemies.
    If you're bad at archer, you'll either deplete your teams tickets instead of the enemies',
    or you'll go and spam in groups of twenty archers, kill ten enemies, and then all get caught offguard by a bomb.
    pro-archers don't need any utility, but the other archers could use some extra power.
    What would be worse? making pro-archers propro-archers (but helping the ones that don't know how to play archer well), or having all lesser archers train themselves and become better?

2. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Nope, Gofio. Try watching a skilled builder/knight in a fight.
    A bad player can be carried through a match on the backs of their team, and that is true for every class.

Gofio and Conquerer like this.
  3. miniswrider

miniswrider Bison Rider

I generally am able to use an archer effectively, but an archer is an archer's worst enemy. They have, IMO, plenty of utility, exept for close range, when your trapped.

4. OGarrus

OGarrus Catapult Fodder

As Gofio says if youre pro archer youre a train for defense or rush in the match :archer: - if youre lame archer youre just depleting the tickets of yer team.:no: I know some folks who are sayin about me that im Pro archer :rollseyes: (Cupid my nickname) :D but when a man with a bomb show next to my faceX3 im dead piece of poultry. :zchicken: :p

5. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

I usually go builder 80% of the time. I do things other builders don't do, like go and help a knight defend a tower, I stomp on knights camping at the bottom of the tower, usually killing them, and I actually end up killing enemy knights+archers. I grief enemy buildings and use ladders to climb them, which most builders already do. It's a matter of skill, yes, but also contributing all you can to the team.

6. miniswrider

miniswrider Bison Rider

I know, but I still believe that an arccher should have dagger, to be an assasin, like sneaking up on a knight and stabbing him in the back. maybe a dagger would be a one-time thing, like bombs, you buy from shop. idk, but that would be epic. what better than an assasin for your team? go into enemy territory, hide in trees, and get a knight in his bomb shop instead of only going :spam::teabag:, because that would give your location away...

7. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

It'd be almost impossible to stab the knight 2 or 3 times in a row to kill him, because KAG is kinda 2 dimensional, and unless he's high on drugs, he'd run away and gib you.

Cirom likes this.
  8. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

A good archer is annoying, a good knight is devastating.

Conquerer likes this.
  9. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

If all else fails, the archer provides some backup ammunition for the catapult. Ah the wonderful sight of archer corpses blowing up all over my base.

10. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

general consensus- archers exist only to piss off enemies by catching them off guard and poking them to death

11. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Archers can easily change the battle. For example two Archers working together with timed shots can change a lot during the battle. They are essentially a defensive class, for defending the teams towers, killing innocent builders and just providing a 'long' range class.

Cirom likes this.
  12. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

13. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Good archers are also devastating. Good archers are devastating even against other good players, while a good knight is mostly cancelled out by other good knights. This is just another case of the knight's flashiness causing people to overestimate the class's power.

Force likes this.
  14. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

That's true, yet you don't find skilled archers as many in number as skilled knights. I think the most rare class in which you find people with actual skill is building...

15. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Well the theory behind archery is pretty simple. Most people have the theory right. If they want to hit something far away point the cursor higher up, changing the arrow charge to get longer range or faster rate of fire, etc. You dont need a bunch of pro archers with amazing skills to be 'devastating'. You just need at least two archers who can hit something and one of them who is smart enough to time the shots, you dont need to pull off anything fancy.

zollie20 likes this.
  16. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

Couldn't agree more, but I feel the need to add something;
    To go from okay to good, all an archer needs to do is aim higher.
    To go from okay to good as a knight, you must learn how to bomb jump,(numerous methods- high, ling etc.) you must know when your teammates need a shield; be it one of your archers needing cover as he tries to destroy a cata or a builder 'termiting' and being rained upon by arrows; all these ways and more show that, while archers are good at killing and stalling, IMO knights and builders are the classes who actually end up with the flag or are storming the base for it. In the test build, basically builders will end up with the most utility anyway.

tl;dr
    Archers are good at hitting stuff, Knights and builders are better at going places.

Force likes this.
  17. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

I agree that archers can be devasting, but not as much as a knight can. An archer can provide amazing support, and can have dead on accuracy, but it can't compare to what a good knight can do. They can bombjump into a base, destroy every thing and everyone, then bomb jump out with the flag. Archers just can't do this. Although they will be far more powerful with fire. Last time I used that I destroyed my own base Dx

Why do you always do that? it's fucking annoying. My post is 5 or so posts above yours, yet you just copy and paste it.

18. Hella

I disagree about the idea that "a good archer just needs to aim higher". Sure, a good archer is accurate; that's what seperates 'shit' from 'decent'. A great archer, however, is able to be highly mobile and provide the close support as well as long-range-sitting-in-a-tower support. A single great archer, from my experience, has the ability to change a battle just as much as a great knight, it just fulfils a totally different function.

Knights are intended for the brunt of the fighting, yes? A good builder/knight combo can hold far better than a builder/archer combo, because of the offensive power that a knight can make use of. In the average game of CTF, knights are essential, but archers are the lube for the team.

Personally, I honestly consider classic KAG as at least close to being balanced between the classes to a point where gameplay works. If new items are added into 1.0, then they should definitely be things that aren't always for individual classes, but can function for any class. Archer doesn't currently need a utility, because it has a purpose and the capability to do it well, but in future? Well, it's open for it, definitely.

And that's if you discount fire satchels.

Cirom likes this.
  19. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

Well, perhaps. But in my experience, archers have never been necessary for close combat; and I mean EVER. Even the best archers are far outclassed by knights and sometimes even builders in close quarters. Despite my hatred for camping, that's where archers DO shine.

20. Hella

It's easiest for an archer to fight from a tower/camping spot, but it's not necessarily the most effective thing to do. Individually, archers aren't the strongest in close combat, but that's why they work best when supporting fighters in close combat. It's not fair to just say 'archers can't fight like a knight in close combat' because each class can't fight like another class in close combat, and they always be compared along the same grounds. Archer is a support class, and that's where it works best.

Cirom and Gofio like this.