1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archers or Ninjas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ratka, May 4, 2013.

1. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

The archers appear to be more suited for melee combat than ranged, as they seem to be able to screw over an entire team alone with their dagger. I want to know your thoughts on this matter and if it is an issue or not. If you believe it to be an issue post your ideas on how it may be fixed.

2. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Archers are overpowered as I'll get out...they are a support class but people use them in RTDM for close combat. And it isn't even just people being skilled, it is legitimately archers being a stronger unit. I know this from deciding to go a round or two as archer and completely destroying the enemy team, or also there was a 2 archers vs 2 knights fight (I afked in the corner to just watch, being I was on the team with the archers), and the knights were no match whatsoever!

I think this could simply be fixed by having the archers slow down while shooting their arrows, they have no speed decrease when holding their bows to fire! Currently when they are running away, knights are unable to fight them (because of being out of sword range) but they can still rapidly fire arrows at the knight who is chasing them, I find this an issue, mainly because then the archer can easily either kill the knight when he tries to attack, or escape easily with the better maneuverability.
    I also believe the archer's knife should be either removed or toned down, the speed, and instakill chance, makes it to be really easy to just jump around and on a knight in ways that prevent the archer from taking damage, but can still deal damage! Seems a bit broken to me...

Seems about it, just don't get me started on how crazy skilled archers can be with the unbalanced power of the current archers! Stuff be crazy, man!

Beelzebub and Ne3zy like this.
  3. 16th

16th Bison Rider

Devs logic: Let's nerfed builders, and OP archers. We call that BALANCE! :smug:

4. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

That just brings up the other issue of the brokenness of WAR when one team rushes to get knights and just slaughters the other team if they are preparing for later instead of a "win game within 5 minutes" rush...

5. Wait... How do you know what archers do in Beta if your not premium? O.o

Guitarman, Froghead48 and Ghozt like this.
  6. eamono

eamono Arsonist

out of the 5 complete (start to finish) games i've played so far we won 3 of them, and that was because the first thing we did was get warboats, barracks, and war supplies, then load up all of our team on the boat and mow down the other team. but only once did we win straight out, all the other times they held on and still managed to put up a good fight. But just because it is a good strategy doesn't mean that it's broken, You can build mulitple factories to get double supplies, you can steal enemy blueprints, crates/storage is actually REALLY useful for hauling machines/boat/blueprint to a forward base, none of these are "broken" mechanics, it's just that alot of people don't think to do these things so they are unprepared for them.

now i'm not saying WAR mode isn't broken, it very much is, but not for the reason's you said

Froghead48 likes this.
  7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

This is a beta, lets try some actual feedback about what's wrong and not pointless remarks like this?

Might have a bugged forum account or have more then 1 account ;)

LostPix, Ghozt and Canadian98 like this.
  8. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I suggest you to calm down.

Froghead48 likes this.
  9. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Sorry that was a little OTT, just irritated that every other post from him seems to be something insulting and nonconstructive.

LostPix likes this.
  10. Russians...lojk... But seriously, people post what they want and most if the time it's sarcastic, people have their oppinions, you have yours.

11. 16th

16th Bison Rider

What is pointless in that? It's actual big disbalance in game right now. Maybe you should keep shut your filthy mouth, and do not spray bile at each whose opinion differs from yours?

12. Galen

Hey hey hey guys, calm down.

13. well i can tell you what is pointless in that. you say what everyone knows but in a very buttflustered way that makes people feel uncomfortable and makes you look like a complete jackass.

anyway, actual ontopic:
    lolkiting, lolstunning, lolfirepiercingshields

14. 16th

16th Bison Rider

It seems that not everyone knows it. Many people think that is some kind of balance. Like buiders gotta buld, not kill others. And archers gotta fly everywere causing death.

15. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I find archers a bit too powerful for my taste, I've had a lot of trouble killing an archer jumping around me because my jabs were slow and his arrow draw time was fast. Also:
    Uh, yes? Their purpose is to build, not kill. It's a builder, not a fucking Terminator.

Glenfield and Froghead48 like this.
  16. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Love the new archers, even if they are more like ninjas than archers atm. Their range got nerfed but it's nice that they're a bit more active in combat instead of just camping somewhere and shooting.

I haven't noticed if they keep the same running speed when charging a shot but if that's the case I'd most definitely support the idea of making them a bit slower when charging shots on the run.

The second major issue I've noticed many players have would be with the back-stab which does 3 hearts of damage. Personally, I love it! :D I suspect the devs were trying to make stealth and ambushing, as an archer, more viable/worthwhile and I can definitely appreciate that!!! It's very satisfying when you manage to play dead, have a knight pass by you only for you to quickly get up and stab him in the back. (true story, actually managed that yesterday :p )

But... seeing how archers have gotten more agile and can jump like the Duracell bunny it does make it more worthwhile to simply gang up on a knight while your mate is distracting him and knife the bastard, or if you're fast enough to simply jump over him but I've found that more difficult.

In all honesty I'm not really sure if I want back-stab to be nerfed, at least not yet. Beta has been on for only 2 days, a lot of players are still learning how to properly play the new classes and I've had more than one encounter when some newbie started screaming that the knife is OP when he couldn't even take on a knight in 1v1. Back-stabs are also a new feature, something old and new players need to watch out for, so I can imagine that it will take a while until players learn not to turn their backs on an enemy archer.

paradoxicalenigma and Froghead48 like this.
  17. 16th

16th Bison Rider

So you think in classic they was? Pfff..
    Who wants to play a class that can't even defend themselves? Not me. Builders now can't even do fast collapsing traps. Their purpose to build? Who appreciates that? Noobs and minecrafters whos always diggin on main base. Especially now when they have so many factorys to spam.
    This class has lost all charisma. Now they just servs. Dirty servs...

GloriousToast and Ne3zy like this.
  18. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I won't continue this conversation here as it's supposed to be for Archers and I have no interest in pursuing it. You don't understand the purpose of a builder and that's fine.

On topic, the Archers are getting too annoying.

GloriousToast likes this.
  19. Galen

What Lieber said. Stop the offtopic builder talk now and go back to archer or just simply say nothing here. You can go ahead and create a new thread for builder, or don't.

20. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Please learn some English and common sense before coming to whine and rage to the forums like a 12yo spoiled kid, 16th. Fucking Russians. You should be banned from the Beta subforum.

On a slightly more on-topic note, the beta has been out for two days, so people are of course still learning how the game works. I'm sure that within a week archers won't dominate half as much, though I agree that they _are_ rather overpowered compared to knight now. I would really slightly reduce the archer's movement speed when charging, but the main point is to make jabs reliable. Currently the only way to deal damage to an archer (beside bombs) is to charge a slash, which makes you really vulnerable to all the enemies. If you could just jab the living shit out of them there wouldn't be any issues imo.