1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Story The Life And Times Of The Badmin, or How King Arthur's Gold Ruined My Sanity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thebonesauce, Jun 19, 2013.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

The Life And Times Of The Badmin;
    or, How King Arthur's Gold Ruined My Sanity

An objective outlook on why most admins are assholes,
    by thebonesauce

You've all seen it, or heard about it, or were told about it from some kid in the game. "OMG, ADMIN ABUSE! This guy totally banned me for building my 1 block wide wall that stretched into the heavens! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! I'M GONNA RAGE ABOUT IT ON THE FORUMS!"

Well, allow me to share my experience as an administrator. It all started over a year ago when I was accepted into MOLE, and was given honorary administration rights as part of the MOLE server. I wrote down all the rcon commands and passwords on a Post-It note, and got really excited because I wanted to make a difference. And for a long time, I did.

I slowly started earning administrator privileges on other servers, Beo's being the first, and then making my mark on Action Unlimited, the Saiyan server, Voxxitronic's ZF mod servers, etc. I used to get such a rush out of catching griefers and hackers in the act. New players often looked up to us KAG veterans, many of them asking us for advice when it came to building adequate structures, fighting styles, archery techniques, etc. This was the golden age of KAG, where it seemed like everyone had a great time in game, and usually new players were competent and enjoyed the game, and always seemed eager to learn.

I'm unsure when it happened, some people blame the Reddit meetup, others blame YogsCast... Whenever it was, we began to see a sharp decline in the player base in terms of intelligence. It seemed as if every new player had the IQ of a tree stump and was far more interested in trolling than playing the game.

We actually had a theory back in the heyday of the MOLE server; the server saw a serious degradation in player skill and quality after 11 pm EST, a period of time we dubbed, "The Aussiepocalypse." I truly believe this is when admins began to not give a fuck. I think we all started off with the best intentions, back in a day where admin abuse was just that; an administrator abusing his power. Meaning, an administrator who freezes players so he isn't killed, banning people for killing him, or building elaborate, untouchable structures using the ingame editor.

Nowadays, with this huge decline in player intelligence/quality causing the overall playerbase to be subpar, admin abuse is constituted as anything a player doesn't like. Examples include being frozen for insulting an admin, banning someone for continuously building structures that hinder their own team, banning for glitch exploitation, etc. Gone are the days of legitimate administration as it seems we (as admins) cannot make a move without being labeled as abusive.

My sanity started to go around the time that the MOLE server began to die off. While many of us were used to fun, balanced, interesting and strategic games, the new players (who mostly came because the game resembled Minecraft in it's building senses) only seemed interested in building whatever they felt like, completely ignoring any and all advice/suggestions from more experienced players. We, the administrators, slowly became jaded. We had a bleak outlook on the future of the game because the playerbase had devolved into shit, and as such we went from being overly helpful to banning stupidity on sight.

And honestly, can you blame us? Our community went from a sweet balance of highly skilled players and newer players eager to LEARN from the highly skilled players, to a few highly skilled players and a massive crowd of new players that don't give a shit except for their own unique experience. It's a shame really, because KAG is MOST fun in groups. That's the entire point behind the game; it is a TEAM BASED EXPERIENCE. Too many new players are too interested in single player-style mechanics, which is why I believe so many new players are drawn to the Zombie Fortress servers. While it IS a fun distraction, it doesn't give what makes most of this game fun. I spent $10 on this game, and have played it for well over a year now. It has been worth every penny, though I can say that I've played maybe 10% of my total time on Zombie mode, and 90% of that time playing CTF/RTDM/Parkour/etc. Overall, the most fun I get out of this game is the competitive aspect, something that seems to be shunned by newer players.

I am all for being a helpful, productive admin, but there comes a point when you're ignored by so many people that you can't help but shrug and say, "What's the point? These people don't give a shit. They don't want to learn and they don't care about their team, so why should I bother?" This is the point where your average, friendly admin slowly turns to the side most of us have reached; we are bitter, cynical old bastards who just don't care anymore.

So what do you think? This is just my view on why most admins are assholes nowadays. We have endured so much that the general playerbase cannot even begin to fathom. I still become flabberghasted when I see admin applications on any server, because in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "Why would anyone WANT this?" The reason I'm an admin? Because I want to be able to provide players a fun, safe experience, free from assholes trying to ruin this experience. Most times, I do it because there's no one else to do it. Frankly, with how little the new members of this community seem to care, I can't imagine that there are many more "nice and helpful" admins.

Piano, delankski, LolFox24 and 41 others like this.
  2. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

I loved your post and I agree with most points you made.

That one almost made me tear up. :noburu:

You can't blame anyone for this... The thing is though, it really depends on how you see your obligations as an administrator (or what your obligations are depending on the server in the first place) . It seems to me that the main problem you're addressing here is new players not wanting to learn, even if you're offering them everything they need to know. Honestly, I am yet to see such admins that would actually stop for a minute and teach a new player what to do, where to go and what to press.

Personally I have a more cold way of addressing these things. I only seek for rule breakers and give them punishment. I see every new players as a foreign teenager who doesn't understand what I'm saying to him and only does what he considers to be fun. I see them as people who don't realize the other moving characters in the game are actual people, having a break from living their life to share a fun, beautiful experience together with strangers all over the world. Rarely do the newcomers respond back, and if they do respond, there's a 50% chance it will be in another language I do not know (yet). I can only stop him when he's breaking the rules. If people call me cruel for not teaching them the basic rules before punishment, well... destroying buildings that your team has put effort into making is quite an obvious bad thing to do that you will have to pay for, if you asked me. It's a hard way of learning, but it's the best way. We learn from our mistakes.

Also: I don't know if the developers' intentions are still to bring this game up to the Steam network and community (I haven't checked their devlogs in a while), but if this is true, the massive hordes of new players joining the game will drop the bar even lower than it is right now. Big communities tend to do that; they change the mentality of new/inexperienced players. Fingers crossed!

edit: One objection. I wouldn't freeze the player for insulting an admin. Chat words get muted, in-game actions get frozen/banned. :)

Piano and azemazer like this.
  3. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

But see, I USED to stop and give every new player the time of day... Now it's easier to assume they're building badly because they're shitty players. Because 99% of the time, that is truth.

delankski and azemazer like this.
  4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Ahh. Warms the cockles of my heart. Thank you, bonesauce. :)

5. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

Resign from adminstration positions if you start to get bitter cynical and become an old bastard who doesnt care.

6. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

No more admins ever, gg

If I'm on a server I moderate and I see a bad player, I generally don't care unless they start building shit. For example, if they start building a huge ass tower with no out near the bottom, I just start using editor to quickly make some lower level doors. If they complain, I just tell them that they are going to get the team killed because of the height. If they still continue complaining, I just mute them. If they start undoing what I fixed, I just ban them. If I see people greifing, I'll freeze them. If they start just using emotes, like 2 or 5 it's an instant permaban. If they say sorry I'll unfreeze them, but ban them if they do it again. Otherwise I just leave them frozen until they say something leave.

If I see someone legitimately trying to learn, I actually treat them like they are my best friend or something and attempt to teach them the basics of building. This rarely happens though, hence me generally being uncaring.

Piano, delankski, Rubixxcube and 7 others like this.
  7. demon2000

demon2000 Haxor

Make server with whitelist and take only the old players

8. Mexer

We have a lot in common, sir.

9. i just ban everyone who tries to stop me from getting the flag and then i report those who complain

Piano, Beelzebub, delankski and 10 others like this.
  10. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I've just become admin, and well only once it has been really bad and well I think it wasn't the smartness at all since there was guards involved, but aaah well. I agree on pretty much everything said. I do something like what Kouji does but a tad kinder. But too many times am I shouted at for not perma banning a griefer who has said sorry and I'm giving a second chance.

There was one time where people would start running shops for both teams. Which was just a waste of players for one team and then there's those times where you would have around three 'decorators' at your base making it look pretty. Both of the types I don't ban but still.....

One time I was admin on a modded server and well this guy kept greifing, and one time I cought him and he blamed my brother who was sitting right next to me at the time. Also he was no where near what he was greifing. So I froze him he raged a bit but in the end I unfroze him. Then well he blames me for admin abuse for such things as abusing the bed. Because we were fighting at the bed which kept healing. But it was all sort of things like that. In the end I gave up and banned him.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

For the record, the pathology of an "angry developer" has a pretty similar root to a "badmin".

When I am/was admining on action unlim I'd have periods of chain banning derp not contributing to the fun at all. While incredibly biased towards clever/funny players, I believe that the "iron fist" admin style that server has/had is what keeps/kept the server populated and fun for most. I'm using all of these current/past tense words because I haven't played classic (outside of a few gather matches the other day) since GDC, and even then just so rayne and I could be angry about it together.

The acts of "hate" we perform as administrators are more often than not driven by the best intentions, but of course they will never be seen that way by the upset twelve year old that got his game trolling overturned by someone on the internet.

There are some truly rewarding moments to administration roles though - imagine if you never got to freeze, teabag, void, laugh at, and then report a speedhacker - with him crying and raging at you the whole time. Imagine if you never got to laugh at the guy demanding "unfroze me admin i do no rong" after tossing catapults off towers and collapsing blocks on some plebs.

As a developer and an admin, I humbly thank you guys for dedicating your time, sanity, and f3 keys to the cause of the game.

inb4 arcrave three-ups me as badmin.

Piano, delankski, Reudh and 13 others like this.
  12. bruthsaw

bruthsaw Shopkeep Stealer

I used enjoy being an admin... after a while I lost my sanity... you try to give people the benefit of the doubt and then they break something else. It gets to ya man. Sometimes I just want ever new playing to be forced into archer. They may be bad but at least they cant break anything. and then you know a builder knows what he is doing most of the time... hopefully.

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Oh I care. But it's nice to be reminded that the murderous impulses that seize me from time to time are a normal thing. :rollseyes:

14. azemazer

azemazer Catapult Fodder

What you say is veri sad. And very mean. And... true.

15. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

The reason I've mainly resorted to playing ONLY on KAG gather is because of these new players and the admins with the same attitude. Also, I've noticed a big change in attitude, skill level and team play on BC Flatmaps compared to the regular Australian servers.

I agree with your post thebonesauce.

16. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Gather is a fantastic way to experience KAG, can't wait until the beta is stable enough to support it in a meaningful way.
    No idea how it'd scale to say >50 people wanting to use it, hopefully well though.

17. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

I'm admin only on 3-4 servers, since whenever they see me as an admin somewhere, they immediately start shouting 'mod', 'admin', or 'pinixivin' etc. It's really annoying and I piss off when they start telling some random bullshit.
    Once when I was playing in a ctf server as an admin, few ppl started building huge swatikas and penis in our base. I freezed them and warned, also used editor to destroy those buildings. Then some freezed one said: 'omfg holy shit a hacker.!!!!!!1!1!1! ddu how do u do dat. im reporting.' and left. Others did the same. Next time I'll just ban the ones who build swatikas or penis... without warning.... And if I ever play on that server again.

18. PumpkingSlice

PumpkingSlice Base Burner

One of the most annoying things that occurs is when "Grieffer" or "Hacker" is shouted out. No name or location is given. Hell I'm even in spectator mode (Spectator master race) from time to time to ensure that the current match is running smoothly. When I ask for a name I get the reply in like ~10 minutes. A lot of changes happen in 10 minutes. Admining would be so much easier if they could at least give a name :(

19. Mexer

Agree! People should start saying the name and maybe the location of the trouble maker. Going to spectators every time you see someone say "griefer" alone and not finding anything is not fun at all.