1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Story The Life And Times Of The Badmin, or How King Arthur's Gold Ruined My Sanity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thebonesauce, Jun 19, 2013.

1. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

I don't see why you all are bitching, all you do is freeze people who are griefing, or hacking then permaban them, griefing counts if the structure is large or important.

Other than that you just play the game normally. The above shouldn't make you pull your hair out.

inactive_account and Wargod-Loki like this.
  2. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

Not if there are different players screaming "griefer" or "hacker" every 5-10 freaking seconds.

3. Andr01d

Andr01d Bison Rider

I try to be polite to people who are building strange stuff. Sometimes they'll actually ask you how to build better. Then you can teach them. It's all quite a good time if you're feeling patient.

Piano, RadioActive and PumpkingSlice like this.
  4. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

There are few people who will ask for advice, but more often than not you'll explain why it's bad and show them the right way to do it, and instead I get, "omg mole is griffin mi tower! VOTEKICK MOLE"

killatron46 likes this.
  5. Andr01d

Andr01d Bison Rider

Indeed, I guess I'm motivated by the exceptions to that, which are actually more than you might think.
    Of course, if they don't listen, I still rageban them.

thebonesauce likes this.
  6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I can empathize with you, bonesauce, but I think it's really incorrect and downright harmful to blame the community. Let me pull out my well used oldfag card and say that community quality has more or less one remained constant. Even when there were only like 6 of us we still had a noob and a griefer among our numbers and that there has never been a point in KAG's life where there weren't undesirables (even in development there's MM who is a known griefer). The only thing that has gotten worse about the community is this militant nostalgia where old players blame the new for their own feelings. People were whining about the exact same kind of community degradation when you arrived and in the future people will circle jerk about how good 2013 was.

Piano, Rayne, BeasterDenBeast and 4 others like this.
  7. thebonesauce

I dunno man, I really don't think you can disagree that people like totalbiscuit and Yogscast didn't bring a lot of derps with them. I mean, yeah, obviously there will always be undesirables, but it doesn't change the fact that the quality of players has dropped drastically since as early as january of 2012. I remember having a lot of fun on KAG servers of a random nature, but now it seems the only way to have any real fun is to play Gather matches or crush people on unlimited servers. There will always be the good, funny, likeable people around, but you can't sit there and tell me that newer players are interested in learning. They're more interesting in doing whatever they want while spamming 252525 and saying "lol fuk u nub u no shit".

Monsteri likes this.
  8. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I like playing on pub servers a lot, and I find it fun. Not all players are as interactive as you might hope them to be, but they've always been like that. The gameplay has changed over time, but I agree with Contrary in that the community has remained, on the whole, the same.

I still miss the original Incarnum servers, though. ;-;

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Contrary

Sure they brought a lot of derps but they brought a proportional amount of good players as well. The "drastic drop in quality" of the playerbase has nothing to do with the actual playerbase, it's you getting tired of things and projecting your unhappiness as the fault of others. In my eyes the community's golden age was when old Neat and newcomer Loki fought each other as fierce rivals, the two undisputed kings of knighthood. When Sani flexed as he toppled stone onto enemies. When the clans were just beginning to form and YB were the new kids on the block. From my point of view it all went downhill from there. I'm also wrong.

Throughout KAG there are always tonnes of players who are interested in learning from old players (if that's such a big concern for you). Every few months I have someone ask me how to bomb jump the way I do. At the start of the public beta I had a really nice time showing a new player the ropes.

All of this you're feeling is you simply getting tired of KAG. Trust me, I've been there. It's normal and it's natural and it is a little sad, but it's not the fault of new players. This pervasive hate of new players is driving a wedge in the community- really how would you feel if you joined the forums and found someone saying oh, everyone who joined after xxx arbitrary date cutoff is only interested in 'spamming 252525 and saying 'lol fuk u nub u no shit'". That's bullshit and it's wrong and it's terrible.

LolFox24, I3lue, Rubixxcube and 8 others like this.
  10. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

Have you never been admin ever? I literally ignore most of those people, or freeze them on occasion too just for lols.

I could literally keep track of everything most of the time while playing, and not listening to players at all bro.

I3lue, Ej and Kalikst like this.
  11. thebonesauce

I'm not including the WHOLE of new players. I've always pointed out great new players who bring great ideas and skills to the table. However, putting your fingers in your ears and saying "lalalalalala" and pretending that things haven't haven't been steadily going downhill for a long while now is wrong. Saying that most randoms you see on servers nowadays would rather ignore veteran players as opposed to asking what they're doing wrong is wrong.

Conquerer likes this.
  12. Contrary

"lalalalalala"? Lol. The main reason I'm here is because I enjoy critically examining the community, something I do for hours a day. My metaphorical fingers stay out of my metaphorical ears, thank you. Really, if things went downhill it was before you got here.

I never said that, I said that there was crappiness throughout of KAG's history.

I empathize with you, bonesauce, you don't know how deeply I've felt this kind of sad nostalgia. I'm sure I probably have thousands of words on it in this forum. But the fact is, nothing has changed that much and you are blinded by nostalgia. This is a huge problem for the entire community right now as you are actively trying to split the community more than it already is. Even if you were right (not saying you are), what you're doing is wrong. You are literally making the entire community worse just so you can circlejerk; trust me I know my circlejerks..

Happiness, Noburu and Conquerer like this.
  13. thebonesauce

...I'm not trying to "split" the community, I'm just trying to give people an idea as why most admins SEEM like assholes. By no means am I drawing a line in the sand and telling people they're either in or they're out. Not my intention at all.

Mexer is one of the small percentage of admins who think administration is "srs bsns" and follows a strict server code and signs his name in blood on the mystical KAG Administrator Codex.

14. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

I like Mexer then. :thumbs_up:

15. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

Sorry but I see "freezing just for lols" as admin abuse.

Can you also keep track of the whole situation on the enemy team in case someone griefs a building? What if your screen view can't even reach the building he is griefing?

16. PumpkingSlice

PumpkingSlice Base Burner

Ever heard of admining or admin time? It's where you go spectator mode and view the whole match for a while to let it run smoothly.

17. PinoyPooPow

PinoyPooPow Shark Slayer

Did you guys not know the game was publicized on Good Game Spawn Point? Where the target audience is the more younger generation? No offense to the younger gamers, they just don't know from right or wrong etc. And now that KAG is spreading, I've seen a whole heap of language/culture differences while playing which can be hard communicating if someone does something wrong..:huh?:

18. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

They should to be at least be able to read, especially when the person is talking right next to them. Most people can tell the difference between right and wrong, even younger people. Plus well if they start ping off at you, I think they know how to read and write and know what their doing wrong if you tell them what they are doing wrong .

19. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

If enough people say griefer at the same time, you go into spec, and if someones hacking you catch it yourself. Not difficult at all, bro.

I freeze people who think they can remove someone else who is playing who just happens to be at a opposing point compared to them on making a structure, and thus they say GRIEFER or HACKER to try to get you to remove them so they get their way. If you are angry, argue the regular way bitches.

The worst admin abuse you can possibly do, is stop a player argument, you are promoting them spamming griefer and hacker instead of profanity at each other like normal adults, you retards

thebonesauce and PumpkingSlice like this.
  20. thebonesauce

I just hear too many excuses. Why is it so difficult to freeze someone and simply ask the person being accused if the accusations are true? If multiple people or well known members of the community say someone is griefing, chances are its true.