1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What do you want in an ideal CTF mode?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rayne, Jun 20, 2013.

1. i dont know if you are very good at trolling or just an idiot but this thread isnt about clan wars

AnRK, Lieber and Digger101 like this.
  2. 16th

16th Bison Rider

CTF - basis for clanwars and not random team games, stupid. You're not going to deny it? For all dumb stuff exist a War mode.

3. I am "going to deny it", stupid, since I have talked to Rayne about this. He simply wants CTF mode in Beta.

Also who told you CTF is a "basis" for clan wars?* There's nothing about "clan wars" or "gather" in this entire thread. In fact, Rayne just asked for CTF improvements here.
    You can see in the OP that he wants suggestions on any aspect of the game.
    If you make a competitive mode, you don't want people to tell you what's fun and what they want in, you make the gamemode balance and demanding, possibly gathering feedback from good players who know what they are doing. You don't make a public forum thread by any means.
    And now, I have to ask:
    are you trolling

*it's a rhetorical question, don't reply

4. Flameofice

Flameofice Builder Stabber

This might be a bit late, but I wanted to get this out.

-Movement and general combat already feel fine and play well.

-The new blocks and items (bombs, arrows, siege machines, etc.) are also good.

-Water should be left to mapmakers, but should be avoided in general for CTF.

-Migrants should be scrapped, and classic-style workshops should be used.

-Tech should be quicker, being advanced by player actions and not through any artificial time requirements. I'm not too sure of any balanced ways to go about this, but perhaps gold could tie into this somehow.

-Halls would be scrapped, as they'd be near useless in the CTF most would expect. Barracks, tunnels, storage rooms, and quarters would all be player-created, and research would be viewed wherever the flag is kept.

5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

People should move a little slower.

Take out water arrows or reduce the number carried.

Get some better maps that take advantage of how water mechanics and boats are supposed to work and don't just look pretty.

Remove saws or make them team-based (griefing prevention)

Keep migrants. They make teams have to build a nice big base that's fun to burn down.

Add zombies--maybe migrants can be colored green and set to attack players with shark AI?

Turn satchels into 1-block-wrecking limpet mines.

Remove bomb arrows or make them extremely expensive.

Take out water bombs.

Have supply drops automatically deploy later in the game. Getting free resources at the start is dumb, and so is running out entirely at the end.

Kick arcrave.

Give research buildings (or whatever that place is you purchase tech from) an automatic good luck swastikkka background.

Nerf siege weaponry.

Add the charging circle back in for knights and archers.

Make cows highly aggressive and territorial.

MORE FIRE

Change the ladders back to the classic version--seriously, the 3-block ones are retarded.

Add custom sound effects that play automatically after certain game events (and perhaps let them be initiated through /rcon)

Can lava be a thing?

6. xRPEx

xRPEx Shopkeep Stealer

Add pitch into the game in small deposits that are collected by buckets, then make it able to add pitch to the ground like spikes, and make them do extra fire damage when an enemy steps on them. This'd make fire have a much more practical defensive use.

7. [​IMG]

like this post if you hate casual charging circles, reply to the post if you are a filthy casual

Waky, Sarkalest, Chaoticredux and 5 others like this.
  8. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

Old style workshops and team bridges, I still really miss the team bridges in beta, they took away a crucial part to not CTF games...:(

Sapirot likes this.
  9. DSSCRA

DSSCRA Builder Stabber

I agree with more rps style but I think it would be better if

• Slashing > Shield bash
    • Jab spam > Slashing
    • Shield bash > Jab Spam
    Jabs reset slash timer, (maybe make slash timer slightly longer) bash has a small stun on someone who jabs into bash, and slash breaks shield.

crackwise likes this.
  10. whatever1works

whatever1works Drill Rusher

Ive got an idea: At the very top of the map, in EXACT middle, have a water source block surrounded in a dirt box.... fun will ensure

Chaoticredux and amgtree like this.
  11. Chaoticredux

Chaoticredux Shopkeep Stealer

amen

12. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

I completely agree with the ladders, but three block ones allow builders to carry them and knights/other builders/archers can climb up them. :)

13. MartysNaklo

MartysNaklo Haxor

I actually like the new ladders, they last longer and allow few new tactics in building towers.

Anyway, I actually like the factory system, though it might not fit the CTF perfectly, I say leave the team with seven migrants and a factories that produce military supplies, like bombs and pyrotechnics, then make one all purpose factory, that people would bring supplies to and select what they want and the worker would start working on it, eventually producing it, capping it at one of each kind, this factory would produce all those siege engines, boats and mounted bows. Finally a basic small workshop that would heal you when you stand inside, without the need of a worker and without the possibility that someone took the bread with them leaving the workshop useless.

I'd also love to see workers with unlimited resources during the preparation time, to bring back epic forts and a true besieging. I'd leave the research system, and put a trader close to the base of each team, and if you must put in lakes, but let them be small and without floating islands above them. Also I'd love to see maps a little bit flatter again, without sudden craters that promote tunneling under defences.

Edit: Siege engines should be expensive and drill could be removed or hard to obtain with a cap on quantity.

14. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

Old factories. Yes need team bridges. Need some cool maps with like little as floating islands, so funner water. *hi-five* to wooden sky bridges. Need tickets, should be able to farm to increase the amount of tickets. Gold should only be important for outposts and catas. or whatever the new things are. Cool if there were different classes, like maybe a Rogue/assassin, mages? Would be cool to buy classes, kinda like bombs for a knight.

15. Sapirot

Sapirot Builder Stabber

There needs to be ALOT of buildtime, possibly even with the infinite resources of classic, this is very important because the buildings and fortifications that each team makes is what will set the stage for wether the match will be any fun, and who it will favor. It is awesome sitting in a tower with your mounted bow cannon slaughtering waves of knights, and just as much fun ram raiding a huge tower with a war boat and burning the factories and shops inside.

However to help makes these fortifications worthwhile for the players, the blocks they build should not be able to betray them (too much) The trap block for example, is really great in concept, but the big caveat that makes them an honestly terrible investment is your team not being able to activate them by will, spike pits often end up being FAVORABLE if blocked off by trap blocks to the knights trapped in them, due to them being able to jump up and attack without much retaliation possible. (Also bring team bridges back pretty please?) And why not add more blocks? you can have the classic variations of blocks aswell as the new ones without it hurting too much i feel. Just more blocks that can aid your team, or hinder the enemy.

So all in all there needs to be lots of buildtime, blocks need to be worthwhile for the team investing resources in them, and more options for defense or easing travel through a fortification wouldent hurt.

16. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

No infinite resources. That would lead to stone door forts, as they are probably the most resilient block after bedrock.

17. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I'd love the feel of the old modded premium classic era server in their heyday back, just with the potential to do all the shit you couldn't before.

So having a mix of small workshops that do simple shit like give arrows/bombs/health, and then big ass tech/seige/logistics buildings that you upgrade like you did. Having a night mode that doesn't go pitch black and you can get a ton of different laterns to light it up. Having water that doesn't cause an instant stalemate. To me that was when KAG was most exciting, but all the modded crap on the servers didn't have the potential to be modded anywhere near as well as it probably can now, and obviously you can do fuck loads more with game variables and stuff like that.

I'd personally love to see some class variation, but maybe in a more simplistic way without actual new classes if it can be made to work. Just stuff like maybe having knight be able to use a sword+shield or polearm, archers can get a longbow or crossbow, builders a pickaxe or hammer, that sort of bollocks. Obviously only worth doing if you can keep it balanced and could well end up fucking the game up, but there's games where you have that complexity where things are mostly balanced, and if you ask me a game is more interesting if there's more ways of playing that have some balance issues then a game that has a more limited scope that's more balanced.

Knights agreed, however when I've briefly played archer which hasn't seemed half as fun as it was there hasn't seemed to be an obvious visual indicator of charge like there is with knight, knights even get a fucking Link sound for their slash. Could well be wrong there and just haven't noticed, please tell me to shut the fuck up if so, but if that's so then that sums it up anyway.

Sapirot likes this.
  18. archers' charge is indicated on their sprite, they also get their own charging sound.
    the main issue with using charging circles on archers is the fact that arrows power is now based on velocity more than anything so charging works kind of different than it used to

19. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Fair enough, have played about 5 minutes total as archer in alpha/beta and was probably spending so much concentration seeing what the fuck was going on since everything acted so differently that I didn't notice.

20. Starsly

Starsly Bison Rider

Am I the only one that wants to build weird ass mechanisms from the art book? That would be pretty badass.