1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

StarCraft General

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Ej, Jun 29, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. ok ok, i know there was a starcraft thread once but it was absolute shit. this thread belongs to me, the king of starcraft nerds, and i will take care of it

[​IMG]
    In the picture: NesTea against not-MKP

Things you must know about StarCraft:

- StarCraft is an RTS game and one of the fundamental esport games, its reign started around 2000 when competitive SC: Brood War became insanely popular in South Korea which was going through a digital revolution at the time. Now it's world-widely recognized as one of the best esport games.

-StarCraft is srs bsns right now, with multiple tournaments that feature cash prizes reaching dozens of thousands of dollars.

- the most recent and competitively played version of the game is StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

-the strongest region in the world of StarCraft is Korea that set an enormous gap between itself and the rest of the world long time ago. Then we have Europe which is worse than Korea way ahead of both Americas. The rest of the world don't play StarCraft or don't make any impact at all.

-in StarCraft we have 2 general concepts of players' power:
    -macro which indicates how good the player is at maintaining constant production and keeping up with all the stuff he has to do in general (making buildings, making units, researching upgrades etc.)
    -micro which indicates how good the player is at controlling his army. It basically means proper control of casters, retreating damaged units, splitting against AoE damage etc.

-Your New Bible

-fuck protoss

==================================================================

Premier Tournaments to watch:

WCS Europe
    WCS Korea (the best tournament in the world)
    WCS America, also known as the Little Korea

2. LadyHawk

LadyHawk Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I love starcraft, but not like this. I knew there was extreme starcraft tourny's and stuff but never really paid attention. To this day, i still like BW better than SC2 and HOTS.

Apronymous likes this.
  3. CptOnmout

CptOnmout Shipwright

Are you playing SC2 yourself Ej? And which league are you in? :D

4. welp i only recently got a pc able to run SC2.
    I'm playing WoL (planning to buy HotS as soon as I get a hold of the game, kind of different than BW) and have just finished my placements. After losing to a 2rax and winning 4 other games I got placed in silver.

5. CptOnmout

CptOnmout Shipwright

Well, I never played BW :/ Kinda was to young there. The difference between playing HotS and playing WoL is so big, you cant use the WoL BO's anymore. Even the standard 4gate isnt really working now.:P I'm placed in Diamond though.

6. you dont fucking say

e: wait you play protoss

7. CptOnmout

CptOnmout Shipwright

Yeah ... I'm toss. You? And btw. not only Koreans are the best SC2 players. :P

8. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Isnt Naniwa like really good and not Korean?(I only know about him cause i follow Dota and he is the sc2 guy on [A]lliance.)

9. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

SPAWN MOAR OVERLORDS

Apronymous likes this.
  10. NaNiwa is ok. If we are talking about the best players, pretty sure Soulkey or Life could finish him in a bo5 in less than 40 minutes.
    Yeah really, there's no foreigner that can put up a fight against top koreans. If you think different, it's because of idiotic hype western organizations/casters maintain (MLG mastered it) to lure people into watching bad and mediocre players.

11. Infiniterising

Infiniterising Amorous Duelist Donator

*Not enough supply depots.*
    *One of your units is under attack*
    Marine - "We need some help over here!"
    *You base is under attack*
    *Your SCVs are under attack*

GG

CptOnmout likes this.
  12. CptOnmout

CptOnmout Shipwright

Something like this, yes.

13. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

No, Koreans > All. In every single game ever conceived.

14. Infiniterising

Infiniterising Amorous Duelist Donator

No shit, The south korean airlines also has a plane that advertises Starcraft.
    [​IMG]

The whole country is addicted to SC.

arcanecat, rocker2 and SlyStalker like this.
  15. Bammboo

Bammboo Ballista Bolt Thrower

Not every single game. Though the far east is always superior in games compared to everyone else.

16. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Not Dota.The Swedes rule Dota(And Ukrainians/Russians a little).Asia sucks in Dota right now.

17. Bammboo

>Implying DotA2 means anything. No one cares about that game.

18. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Steam was under heavy load because of DOTA 2's official release. I think people care.

19. thanks for posting shit that is completely wrong in the thread!
    just for clarification:
    SC>Quake>fighting games>>Dota>>>>>>>>>>>>>beerpong>>>>>LoL

Chinese people are the best at Dota but a Korean league just recently started so I doubt the Chinese domination will last forever.
    Chinese people were the best at WC3, this isn't even debatable.
    Koreans are the best at SC and LoL.
    Japanese people are the best at fighting games.

The only "serious" esport where people who aren't Asian stand a chance are shooters (quake, CS etc.) and that's just because those games were never popular in Asia.

======================================

On the other news:
    Polt wins MLG with Hyun as a runner up.

Life, Leenock, RoRo and sOs eliminated from OSL. Everybody loves bo1.

20. Bammboo

Chinese are now the best at LoL. Koreans are 2nd or 3rd. With the other being TW or where ever the garena shit is.

Mods: BlueLuigi