1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

StarCraft General

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Ej, Jun 29, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. ColbyCheez

ColbyCheez Horde Gibber

Starcraft 2 Is way more complex and Fun. Brood war added Medics which made the game much easier. Make 5 marines, Make 10 medics, win.

2. get killed by 1hatch lurker
    get killed by 2hatch muta
    get killed by droning behind sunkens
    get killed by pretty much everything since you don't know what science vessels are

3. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I play starcraft time-to-time and I love it but I feel so out of place on threads like these, being a mid-silver (for those of you that don't know being silver is slightly better than a 2 year old banging the keyboard) I don't really understand much of it, I just sit there like o_____o waiting for someone to say "zerg" so i can say "oh yeah i play zerg it's fun let's talk about something else now"

4. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Marines say: "Gimme something to shoot." *dies in two seconds* :QQ:

5. CptOnmout

CptOnmout Shipwright

Yeah ... the life of a marine isnt that long ... :c

6. ColbyCheez

ColbyCheez Horde Gibber

Yeah... the Engineering bay is made for that (upgrade)

7. SlyStalker

But even after the upgrade, it still dies quite quickly because in skirmish by that time the enemy will have already gotten even better units (Colossus :smug:25252525)

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I don't know much about the current Starcraft 2 meta but arguably Marine spam, particularly just Marines are considerably better in 2 than in Brood War. In Brood War it seemed to me like Marines were mostly a necessary filler until you got your mechs up in full production whereas Marines in SC2 are very strong. I remember around the time I quit Boxer AKA Foxer AKA MarineKingPrime AKA OptimusPrime was causing a stir up with his novel new marine spam tactics, showing that with good micro marines could beat stuff that is considered to counter it (i.e. Banelings).

So I'd like to say this in a nicer way than Ej would but basically no one in this thread can really comment on game balance in any Starcraft game without a high risk of it being entirely laughable. Even if we were to air the same complaints that high level Korean pros have, it's basically irrelevant as balance is much different at different skill levels. Marines can't beat Banelings in Silver. Mutas can't hit and run in Bronze. Gold players don't have the micro to really take advantage of Medivac drops. At our level even stuff that can cause you legitimate trouble is something you can probably overcome by simply improving your execution and overwhelming it with just more stuff due to superior economy.

9. SlyStalker

Worker spam always seems to work. :) Not beating the crap out of your opponent? MOAR WORKERS! :D

10. OptimusPrime was Polt.
    Also the marine part is somewhat true and somewhat not as:
    -in TvP you start off with mech, your first marines are only bunker-fillers
    -in TvT it's pretty much the same
    -in TvZ you start off with marine+medic+firebat+science vessels, you go mech once you can afford it
    of course it doesn't mean bio is completely unusable, bio pushes in early stages of the game are still strong but stuff like reavers and tanks successfully shut those down.

=============================================
    On the other note:
    -Parting is out of OSL/WCS Korea
    -Flash is out too, being eliminated by Bomber in a crazy TvT series

full standings:
    http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2013_WCS_Season_2_Korea_OSL/Premier
    </br>--- merged: Jul 12, 2013 8:38 AM ---</br>
    Also, GSTL play-offs starting in 25 minutes:
    StarTale vs Azubu
    Set 1: (Z)Curious <Whirlwind> (Z)BBoongBBoong

11. CptOnmout

CptOnmout Shipwright

Yeah, thats kinda true. Even though I'm diamond, and I think I understand the Protoss matchups, and how to play them, but ... I cant say for example "Widow mine OP in TvZ". And I dont like how Ej is like ... "I'm the only one that understands SC2, so stop saying bullshit".

12. dont worry im hostile only toward protoss players

13. CptOnmout

CptOnmout Shipwright

Thanks man. I'd love to see you raging whilest playing vs me as toss.

14. Mellian-Quar-Xililix

Mellian-Quar-Xililix Haxor

Ive always been interested in starcraft bu never have gotten into it. One question I want to know is how starcraft differs from other rts games, say Age of empires.

15. CptOnmout

CptOnmout Shipwright

Starcraft is way more "active". You dont have to build up your base for like ~20 minutes like in AoE, and every second is important.

16. -Q

-Q Donator

Guys, are UMS maps popular in SC2? i.e. Sunken Defense, RPGs, the like. I was not a melee player - 2000 disconnects, if you know what I mean.

17. SlyStalker

I really like the stability of AoE as opposed to StarCraft, though. I mean, you can not focus on your base for like half an hour while you're 'away' stomping noobs with your Paladins.

18. Retrofit

Retrofit Kami go bye bye Donator

Did you watch the mlg spring champion ship???

also id like to say that dragon (clarity) has got to be my favourite player

19. yes I did, he beat those mediocre players you have to face in first rounds. Then took a victory Jaedong (who we know has notoriously horrible ZvP) and won a PvP bo3 against Stats. Then Polt, who is not very good himself, raped him completely next round.
    NaNiwa is highly overrated because sometimes he gets a game off of a Korean here or there.

At the same time, GOOD tournament with GOOD players:
    http://www.gomtv.net/live/index.gom?conid=80755

20. Retrofit

Retrofit Kami go bye bye Donator

alrigh, dont really like naniwa anyway, what do you think of clarity dragon?

Mods: BlueLuigi