1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Useful Structures - a community effort.

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Swaggernuts, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalenLoki

CalenLoki Shipwright

I'd add parallel shaft (3 wide with bridge-ladder) to allow friendly troops enter pit to defend it actively, repair damages or collect drop. Without that first enemy who somehow manage to survive disable it without any chance for your team to stop it.

Also - another way to suicide in such situation is to press W three times :P

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Agreed, access/maintenance tunnels parallel to the floor help with making pits much more effective.

3. prostosuper

prostosuper Haxor

[​IMG]

Improved Geti's solution with regard to the second defect (a weakness of the wall).

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It makes it pretty expensive though, and doesn't allow a quick in-and out pathway for teamies, like mine does with the door at the bottom on the friendly side.

5. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

[​IMG]
    This isn't exactly a useful structure per se. This is what I personally build, because I like walls you can slide on. It's not exactly meant to be done on-the-fly either, as I usually make it during preparation.

I was going to ask what you guys might recommend I add/change. Whether to make it more effective, less costly, or both :P

6. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I do not consider any structure that requires you to climb up, (unless it's on a mountain) in order to get past it, useful :/.

Seriously, it does not harm to build doors on the bottom, both sides, and it helps defend as well: knights can meet attacking knights head on and kill them.

Making people climb to get up just slows everyone down, time is important in this game. If you got to the hill second it might be the end for your team already.

Ej likes this.
  7. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I'm fine, and actually prefer, climbing buildings as long as it's only in 3-6 tiles height. This way stupid allies won't let enemies in, and your knights have a chance to shield bash enemies. But making over 6 blocks high monkey castles is just plain stupid.

8. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

My biggest problem with making the whole entire bottom be doors was the 1HKO on open doors in past builds, since doors are now invincible while open (last time I played they were, so forgive me if that has changed recently) doors lining the bottom of a structure seem to be a better building design. The structure would be nearly unfellable from the base if one door was glitched open. The only difficulty would be that multiple doors slow down people probably just as much as climbing up a wall. And it feels like a necessity to have multiple stacked doors for added defense (this would only work if you don't have guys rushing through the gates. Nonetheless I am a practitioner of the "space between the gates" build technique. so yeah... :p

9. Neat

Only have one set of doors each side, it will be much much quicker. Also have a door ladder going up to the top of the castle as well. In this way, defense is carried out by attacking the enemies from two sides: above and on level plain. Knights on top can then shield bash downwards. The only ineffective part of doors now is noobs often let people in. I think it's still worth having them at the bottom anyway, because even if noobs let them in, you can kill them once they're inside the castle. If you lined the top of the castle with doors, any enemy let in can then also be attacked from above and from level plane. The key to good defense is always being able to attack the enemy while he tries to siege. If you put a high amount of stone at the bottom of the castle, chances are the enemy will start to tunnel through, meaning you can only attack from one side.

Plus, having doors means the enemy is less likely to collapse the castle at the base, allowing you to recapture it.

Now that I think about it, another good thing to do would be to have an underground path. At the foot of the castle simply have stone leading up to the doors. The enemy can choose to go to the main entrance or hit doors underneath them leading to an underground pathway. The pathway takes them into the middle of the castle. However, knights won't be tempted by this because of the massive pit in the tunnel that drops them even lower and possibly to their death. This allows you yourself to use the tunnel (with doors on both sides) to then attack the enemy from three different positions, from left or right, from above, and, granted the enemies entrance to the tunnel is a little distance from their way in, you can come through the tunnel, up, and behind them, pinning them from all directions.

The screenshot shows the sort of thing that would work in the future for a main base. A place for a catapult, space for rooms, archer ports, underground access, access to top and bottom from everywhere. Basically, if this is a manned defense, it would be the strongest one around, because it allows defenders the maximum mobility and strategic options.
    EDIT: Remove all but drawbridge (the lowest one) on the right hand side to make it perfect, people coming back to base can get on top via the door ladder created by the archer ports

Attached Files:

10. Darcia

Darcia Chief Fur Love Director <3 Donator Tester

When building a hole for a trap I like to layer it like this, as if making a wall ladder. Of course they can't jump up it, and if they try they get spiked. It also stops wall-sliding because if they try they get kicked off and spiked each time.

(Note I'm also going to reinforce the top level to hinder digging, and I'd also recommend making a longer 'chute' at the top so they can't escape as easily.)

trap_layer.png

11. Bene

Bene Free cookies for everyone! ☭ Donator Tester

In a battle I'd climb up a tower even if there are doors. I love to jump on the enemy :D

12. [​IMG]
    I haven't seen conception like this before so I'd like to show this inhere. Don't mind stones. Bridge is the important thing.
    It's a trapbridge with spikes but design of this maximizes damage to the opponent and this is still multi-leveled so it can't be destroyed by one bomb.
    And one thing more: i haven't tested it yet : D. So, what do you think?

Sorry for my english.

13. Neat

Test it first. If it works, great, if not, then it's bad.

14. prostosuper

prostosuper Haxor

15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Something that people seem to forget often (with the doors on each side) is that while the other team can move through they cannot (and usually are too lazy/unknowledgable to remember ) break the structure easily as the tiles in the back are harder for knights to break, they require a full swing, and it takes 3-4 of them if I recall correctly.

16. Weeksy

Weeksy Shipwright

This doesn't work.

17. ak1215

ak1215 Shipwright

[​IMG]

Wot do you guys think?

18. Bene

Bene Free cookies for everyone! ☭ Donator Tester

As far as I know spikes on trap doors are useless.

19. Darcia

Darcia Chief Fur Love Director <3 Donator Tester

I don't think those traps are very goo- oh wait...

20. Vatarax

Vatarax Shipwright

Built about 40 minutes, most of yourself what do you think? : D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.