1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Remove Swimming; Loss of Resources; Logs as Weapons

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Vania, Aug 8, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

1) No swimming:
    Swimming makes boats much less useful and makes rushing easier.
    Maybe swim really slow, and definitely not being able to attack while swimming.

2) Not losing all your materials when you die:
    It takes a lot of time to harvest materials, especially stone, yet if you die you lose everything(and so does your team). This makes playing as offensive builder frustrating and I suspect it's an important cause of minecrafting.
    Maybe lose only 10/20% of your materials when you die.

3) Logs as weapons:
    Make logs useable as weapons, like the boulder but less destructive.
    Why? Because it gives logs another purpose.

Changed thread title to be fitting with OP itself. ~Galen

TROPICALear5 likes this.
  2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

1)
    We've been there and it's terrible, build time prevents early rushing.
    2)
    Rather keep 10/20% of materials when dying than the other way around.
    3)
    Seems annoying and random, at least with current throwing mechanics. Trees kill enough people already.

3. crackwise

crackwise Shipwright

I strongly agree with the original poster on swimming. At the current state, the warboat only has some purpose as a boat because it acts as a spawn location. The longboat and especially the dinghy are used much less frequently because it is possible to swim and fight in the water. I also think the game would have more tactical battles (boats vs boats) if swimming was toned down.

Blubahub likes this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We're not interested in slow water again. We've done it several times and it just makes water no fun to be in or around. It's possible to mod in, feel free to add it to your server and experience the public opinion on the matter.

Blubahub, icemusher, Hawxx and 5 others like this.
  5. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

1. No infinite swimming! I am a large male in plate armor with a sword and shield, who can swim through the water faster than a dinghy, and can also magically propel myself forward to slash you with my sword. When swimming too long wore you down, we had to use boats and not jump off to murder an angry horde of people swimming towards you, winning easily due to your magical swimming abilities.

2. Minecrafting is due to an inability to comprehend that the current game is not sandbox, or possibly the inability to comprehend any form of fighting at all. While it might be nice to keep a small amount of materials, it wouldn't do to keep almost everything you had previously.

3. The amount of times I have died when attacking a base due to trees is beyond my ability to count (Neither Red nor Blue wins a game, trees win). If people start knocking down trees and chucking logs at a knight who cannot block the attack, i'm quitting. Logs are too easily acquired, and having them spammed from a base at oncoming attackers is a bit too much.

Blubahub and Draco1991 like this.
  6. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Yea how can me make it so infinite swimming is gone. It would be impossible, because every map ends up flooded and has a ten hour swimming tdm stalemate.
    I got a Idea instead of finite swimming someone mods in lava. Then boats would be used more

Duke_Jordan likes this.
  7. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Boat combat is even worse than water combat which is not as good as land combat lol. Water should be gone altogether.

#DryKAG

Dargona1018, Hawxx and Duke_Jordan like this.
  8. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Is a dry hag, but the ways the map is layed out makes water so stupid. Its not how water works its the way its used. #bettermapsforkag

(don't ask me how many times I edited this post)

9. Duke_Jordan

Duke_Jordan King Arthur's Knight Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

1) Swimming in deep and slow water sucks as Geti said and yeah it isn't fun to be around, some maps are small so swimming can make rushing easier but with bigger maps comes the need of boats to get around

2) Builders are mostly ment to stay back and build the base its your fault if you take all your resources and head to the front take a few for ladders and stuff but if you bring stacks of 500 wood and stone to the front lines don't be mad when you lose it

3) I really just don't know why anyone would want this.. I mean maybe if you hit it at an angle it would slighty hurt an enemy but if you made it break blocks your just asking for people running to the enemy base spamming logs

10. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

Ok I didnt know you tried it before.
    Some more ideas that dont require slow water (the objective being to make boats more useful)

-knights cannot use their shields when in water.
    -boats(longboat and warboat) have a "door" so only teammates can enter from water level.
    This is so enemies cannot board it so easily.
    *Enemies can still board by jumping from another boat or jumping from higher ground.

I still dont know how to make dinghy useful...

Duke_Jordan and amgtree like this.
  11. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I agree with Vania about boats, they should also be immune to normal arrows and sword slashing, you can still use bombs and other explosives to destroy them, this should also make mines more usable for the purpose of destroying them, the back of the ship has a ladder and it should be team only or something.

Hawxx and Duke_Jordan like this.
  12. jwoo2023

jwoo2023 Shopkeep Stealer

With the dinghys, two more types of dinghys can be found, an arrow dinghy which has a mounted bow, and a covered dinghy which is self explanatory, to find these sprites, goto the Base folder then to into Entities and then vehicles and then boats.

13. TROPICALear5

TROPICALear5 Shopkeep Stealer

Boats (except war boats) have no use, I agree that swimming should be more limited.

14. Pharphis

Pharphis Tree Planter

If you change the focus to requirement of vehicles, then once a team's shops have been destroyed or another team manages to farm ALL the gold the team w/o vehicles loses

15. Arkman

Arkman Catapult Fodder

I was thinking about this and maybe Ratka has a point, I understand that slow swimming would be unfun and annoying, but would it be possible to nerf the swimming speed of the knight while keeping the builder and archer about the same? Knights can bomb jump and shield surf over water

16. Let's just remove water altogether.:kappa:

Dargona1018 and DatNobby like this.
  17. Infiniterising

Infiniterising Amorous Duelist Donator

Yeah, and replace it with lava.

18. Arkman

Arkman Catapult Fodder

I like water, the problem is that most maps really encourage Going around it, either by having flying islands or by tunneling under the water. I can't think of any map where you HAVE to go through water other then a few ponds that you wouldn't put a boat in anyway. One big sea map where boats are Mandatory to have a reasonable chance of crossing would be cool, but they would need tons of sharks, and a decent amount of land on top of that to keep the supplies coming in.

19. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

I played a custom map like this and it was really bad... to the point where many people suggested that the map were skipped, and/or they just left.

The biggest problem is that teamwork becomes more important than usual... so if your team is awful, you basically never get to make a dent in your enemy's base. Also, because the warboat is only purchasable with coins, usually the team that wins the most sea battles on longboats (which go down ridiculously fast) are the ones who can even afford to be offensive. It pretty much creates a slippery slope from which 1 team can't recover from. Not really fun at all.....

Mods: Rainbows