1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why I believe KAB has received so much negative feedback.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fucu, Jul 14, 2013.

1. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

im sorry if i came off as being a whiny dick that doesnt understand anything about coding :>. im looking at it now and i definetly worded it incorrectly. what i was trying to get through is that what are we to do if every fix we put in just makes another bug. if you ask me thats a serious issue.(yes i know not ALL of the fixes do this but it is an undesirable number. and i do agree with beta combat being much MUCH better then classic. classics combat was the reason i permanently swithced to beta in the first place. again geti im sorry if i upset you in any way. :(

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Although this joke is funny, to avoid misleading anyone i consider anything higher than 150 "high ping", with ideal play below 60.

That can probably be arranged. I'm currently considering minor return from all blocks to aid offensive buildering. I might also slightly increase the builder's aim tolerance - just a tad to help battle builders find their mark a little more. They'll still get ezd by slashes though :^)

@kedram: don't stress it, I'd just prefer as little drama re: bugs as possible. Posting about that kind of stuff while incensed helps no one.

3. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

I played Beta since the silent was released and believe me, it has come along. Not only game-play but also serious bugs and mechanics being fixed. The current beta is WAY cleaner than it was a few months ago. These little secondary bugs that pop up get fixed quickly so it's all good.
    G'day. I'm Australian and would prefer to play on nothing more than 100 ping but yeah, 80% of the time Aus Server < 0 players.
    That's no-ones fault mate, it just means we have to suck it up and deal with shitty ping every once in a while.

Conquerer likes this.
  4. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

There is some 132 player server that I was playing in last night and it was soooo laggy. Who makes a 132 player server?

5. eamono

eamono Arsonist

A genius, but probably a genius who needs a better server

Starsly and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  6. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I'm happy with beta, and I have no idea why it's getting such bad feedback. I was raging at classic for being horrendous so I guess i'm biased but beta has added the one thing I wanted, proper fluid combat, hardly as much laggy bullshit as before, especially with knights where stuff would randomly happen and not happen.

Everything else is just a bonus for me. However, the wall jumping I don't like. Everytime I try to get up from water or up a ledge I bounce around like a maniac because you ALWAYS wall-jump. I just want to be able to climb up a few blocks without accidentally touching the side of a block and pushing away from my destination, thanks. Climbing up a 1 block high ledge from water should be automatic, right now it works half the time.

7. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

This genius needs to realize that that many players is catastrophic to everyones ping.

8. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Something I've noticed in playing recently, Neat, is that Alpha movement has trained me to tap jump more often than strictly necessary to climb up places (it gives you a little more control over your ascent), which means in Beta I keep unintentionally walljumping. As an experiment, next time walljumping is getting in the road of getting places, try consciously only hitting the jump key when absolutely necessary-- i.e. holding the key down for longer, and aiming for more full length aerial jumps before you contact a wall & then tap again to get over the lip.

Oh, and water? Knight --> slashjump, builder --> dig/ladder, archer --> arrowclimb.

sheek and Beepo like this.
  9. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

The problem is mainly that you don't climb at the top of a ledge, you wall-jump. You mean to tell me that a knight in heavy armour is dextrous enough to ninja jump up a pit but he can't climb when he reaches the top of a ledge? The little tap jump at the end shouldn't be necessary and rarely does it ever work smoothly (you end up propelling yourself away rather than up) and the slash jump shouldn't be necessary to get out of water either, if its 1 block, it should autoclimb.

sheek likes this.
  10. glide up on ledges, geez

11. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Oh my god, once I learned about glide-wall-jumping everything got a lot easier.

Anyway, I was sorta irked by the removal of resource-return, but I'm totally willing to give that up to get rid of entombers. It's not really a super effective strategy, but damn is it annoying. And I've been able to play a frontline-ish builder pretty effectively, building walls keeping control over one area. It's certainly harder though.

If I really have one change in Beta that I don't like, it's halls. I just don't like them, they make the buildings and towers so inorganic. In Alpha, the players create the territories, the halls, making maps so much more personalized and unique. Now everything is just a box around a hall. Alpha had this beautiful, organic map development, with players dealing with player-made checkpoints slowly being bombed into rubble, but now those are almost entirely gone, in exchange for mostly predetermined bases around predetermined spawns. Although, I do like the rare case of being on a team that has only a hall in the middle of the map, having to defend both sides.

I think the matches will get a bit better once we get some more creative and interesting maps. Right now we just have "flat lake with flat floating islands," "flat lack with flat grounded islands," and "flat ground." Once we get huge burrowed mountains and giant, pre-made abysses, we'll see some more creative building.

Tsilliev likes this.
  12. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

Yeah those kind of maps will be soooo much better with beta. CANT WAIT!!!

13. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I've literally spent no time thinking of the consequences, but since I'm on the forum couldn't you take mats back ala rock mining? So you don't get the whole sum when it disappears which was the thing that enabled that sort of faggotry in the first place? Even if that wasn't ideal if you at least had a system like that that gave back half mats or something then that'd help make offensive builder a tiny bit more viable.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

At the moment I'm planning on adding +1 material for each hit on a solid constructed tile - probably not from specials. We're also very likely going to add spawning mats to encourage battle builders and also inject a bit of wood into the economy.

Tsilliev likes this.
  15. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

Good good. I feel like on some of the bigger servers trees run out very quickly.

16. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Will you implement different tiles apart from what beta already has? Eventhough TTH or War or CTF and TDM might not need new tiles, future game modes -as sandbox, adventure, construction... players adore these peaceful modes too- will make a good use of them, as well as of ropes, slopes, different sand types... Reading the art book makes you think that there are a lot of things left aside that could be included in the game itself, just for being used if needed, not in a general vanilla.

tile styles.png

17. Starsly

Starsly Bison Rider

I agree with 8x and also we need mechanisms too! Building weird ass arrow traps and shit like that, and all the pitfall traps with little activators on the ends!

18. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

Wow some of you guys are going really deep with this.......I like it.

19. IrishSmalls

IrishSmalls Bison Rider

I think they should incorporate all this new stuff into the old engine. It would be great :):thumbs_up:

20. Geti

It is impossible given the state of the previous engine. That is why we did not do this.
    This can be done with modding, doesn't require anything more from us.