1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

B847 - Shark noms, Balance Tweaks, Map Changes, Installers and More!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Aug 13, 2013.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

This build encompasses a few tweaks we’ve wanted to make for a while, as well as a few more experimental things which may be redacted quickly, haha.
    Clearly most importantly, the shark now has a chomp animation. More work needs to be put into polishing it, but it helps make the shark feel at least a little less static.
    We’ve dropped quite a lot of bedrock into the vanilla maps to help with the massive erosion we’ve been seeing, though other measures will obviously need to be taken.
    There have been several balance related tweaks
    • Removed satchel from knight - we felt like the satchel was the “odd one out” and very unsatisfying to use of the knight weapons. Fire is now reserved for archer use only, with knight’s unique mode of destruction still being exploding things with extreme prejudice (kegs).
    • Slashing a shield now results in a slightly shorter stun - meaning you can double slash a shield to harm it, or slash and then jab to cause damage, but not chain slash after slash. This represents a move away from simply chaining slashes as long as possible to win, and hopefully improves the depth of the mind games knights play as they hack each other apart.
    • Builder now gets mats from breaking solid constructed blocks - this should help encourage battle builders to get out there and help get over or through enemy constructions.
    • Archer fletches 2 arrows from trees - pretty self explanatory.
    • Minimum 30 wood for builder and 5 arrows for archer on respawn. This should help with the wood drought just a little and prevents archers being helpless while a hall is getting taken..
    • Bombs change team when picked up - this lets you save team-mates and kill enemies with thrown-back bombs and means theres a little bit less “wtf” when an enemy throws a bomb at you for zero damage.
    • Fixed mines going through doors - as if there wasn’t enough silly stuff going on :^)
    • Boats do more damage on collision - experimental, makes it very very hard to board an enemy boat while it’s moving but feels kinda janky. Will need to be tweaked.
    Many more changes in the log of course, see below and enjoy!
    [fixed] vaulting is broken
    [modified] archer fletches 2 arrows from trees etc
    [modified] moved warboat to its own folder in boats
    [removed] satchel
    [fixed] knight can cut tiles he shouldn't be able to
    [modified] background image for installer
    [modified] kag.ico has updated knight in it
    [modified] bombs and water bombs change team when picked up - so you can toss bo
    mbs back and damage enemies
    [fixed] getting out of water
    [modified] changed jump anims a little
    [modified] a bunch of war maps have more bedrock now as temp measure vs extreme
    terrain erosion
    [modified] updated PNG loader to include everything again (thanks jackitch)
    [modified] boats make much more damage when hitting enemies from all angles
    [added] attached vehicles convert too on capture
    [fixed] archer climbing trees newly grown trees on network
    [modified] easier to get out of water against wall
    [added] shield sliding (point mouse down and use shield while dropping at high s
    peed)
    [added] visual indicator of vehicle capture
    [added] logs can be used as catapult ammo against infantry
    [removed] debug mode from regular players
    [fixed] crates not unpacking in water and on boats
    [fixed] autoupdate_ignore_custom.cfg (1231)
    [fixed] able to log into someone elses account on a shared PC (1232)
    [fixed] mine goes through doors
    [added] shark chomp anim
    [added] getDistanceTo(CBlob@ other) in CBlob

Max/Geti

Original DevBlog post.

NinjaCell, Mysterieux, FG and 6 others like this.
  2. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

Nice build so far looking at the logs and reading it all

Will be interesting how the slash on sheild stun works out...

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

EDIT: Forgot to say that shield sliding has started being implemented, knights can now slide around on their shields (aim at the floor with some speed). We're looking at how to fit this into combat to ensure everything is balanced and most importantly FUN, stay tuned!

If someone doesn't make a race map by the weekend you're all fired.

4. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

Looks good. Now I can see what is actually happening as I'm chillin' in those enemy cata's :)

Slidin' also looks like fun.
    EDIT: Checked it out >> Infinite sliding? Shit Yeah! This build is going to be awesome until you nerf slidin' a little. I'll be slippin' 'n' slidin' 'till the end of KAG (or I run out of apostrophes)

5. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

race.png

6. NKking

NKking KAG Escadrille Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

A few things.

1) Third time, Remove the trees growing through walls bug. at first it was a sapling and in a few sec it destroyed half of my tower and me.
    screen-13-08-13-15-28-46.png screen-13-08-13-15-28-48.png screen-13-08-13-15-29-11.png screen-13-08-13-15-29-41.png

2)I was placing a block and another guy unpacked trampoline and voilà.

screen-13-08-13-15-30-02.png screen-13-08-13-15-30-04.png screen-13-08-13-15-30-49.png

7. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

Nice update!

8. RXShorty

RXShorty Catapult Fodder Donator

Thanks for the update! Some nice new things to try :)

9. copper40

copper40 Casual Misogynist

Aw, no more satchels?

10. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Satchels were kind of stupid, sadly. No explosion, just a weak little poof of fire. And considering the fact that fire damage against players has been nerfed, it had very little use offensively as well.

Boats are indeed very wonky right now, which kinda messes with the game, but hopefully that'll be fixed with time.

Interested in seeing how shield sliding will work. Might test it myself, but I don't use Knight much. :P

11. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

By the nine divines! I'm very glad.

12. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

"Removed satchel from knight - we felt like the satchel was the “odd one out” and very unsatisfying to use of the knight weapons. Fire is now reserved for archer use only, with knight’s unique mode of destruction still being exploding things with extreme prejudice (kegs)."

As much as I am not against this, it is a good thing I checked this thread! Gotta find some other thing to do in my adventure map now...can't burn down the building at the start of it without that! xD

Anyway, will check out and play some later, sounds like some helpful additions!

13. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

This update is amazing, the sharks are bloody terrifying, combat feels a lot better, and fire arrows for some reason are more effective.
    I love you guys.

14. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

We need the feature of being able to use an unpacked trampoline while someone is carrying it for fantastic teamwork and bouncing logs circus.

Haste and Guitarman like this.
  15. Classic

Classic Bison Rider

*[added] shark chomp anim

Awesome. Shark is now more realistic :D

16. NKking

I think that the shark chomp animation was made from that specific shark species.:eek::huh?::p
    [​IMG]

norill and Classic like this.
  17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: Sliding being nerfed at some point - I dunno if it will be, haha. It's very fun, we just need to find a way to tie in shield bash so its a reasonable countering move (with very low damage but stun) and knight combat will be fully rounded.
    Obviously we'll need to do a lot of testing here to make sure the current dynamic is more or less held up - the changes to the amount of stun on slash looks good so far.

Glad you like the changes guys.

1) Trees breaking walls as they grow is not a bug, it is intended behaviour, similar to how trees push apart concrete when they grow they'll push apart your tower. The seeds being so damn hard to kill until they've started growing is another issue. The plan here is to make them able to be killed with hits, and provide some way of buying new ones into the game.
    2) Welcome to box2d collisions. This will never be fixed unless we add our own collision on top of it, something we're not particularly likely to do this week or next. We may be making the trampoline into a placed block instead of just a carryable thing (we're considering the same for saws) so building with them isn't such as nightmare.

Iamaclay and Classic like this.
  18. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

While it's awesome you are trying to increase the depth of knight combat this is the wrong way to go about it. Making slashes less effective against shield, the thing slashes are suppose to counter, only serves to make the result of your combat decisions less meaningful. The way to reduce the dominance of slash is not to decrease it's ability to do what it's meant to do but rather there should be a mechanic that beats slash. Slash is still always the best option, all that's happened is that the reward for using it better than your opponent has diminished.

8x likes this.
  19. Geti

I disagree with the last statement. Two slash-only knights are in exactly the same position they were. The difference is, now they can shield single slashes without getting stunlocked and repeatedly slashed to oblivion. Double slash still counters shield 100%, and the difference/reaction time there is less than half a second.
    The plan is to add a stun to the shield sliding to properly counter slashing in an opportunistic way - and we'll re-evaluate the stun values when that's done. For now I feel that the previous dynamic was best summed up as "constantly perform aimed single slashes to win". Now you can shield to protect from that volley, requiring that slashing knights take the time to double slash (and make themselves vulnerable for another 12 odd ticks) to properly defeat defensive knights.
    It should be noted that repeatedly single-slashing the prepared enemy will still knock, disorientate, disable and push them, but it wont kill them.

Classic, LostPix and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  20. NKking

what if you do it so it is like in FPS games when you gain speed and slide(not shield slide. grass isn't made out of butter for god sake) maybe add better animation that will alow people to slide under enemies attacks +9when you will be sliding your hit box will be much smaller . maby a combination of down arrow and left or right arrow combination to make a slide

Geti you are wrong in terms of seeds look, example seed was sitting on dirt block then I placed a block right on that seed and In a few sec that seed suddenly starts to grow . :ladder:-tree seed ,wood block -:castle_wall:
    the thing is that seed s start to grow when they were replaced with a block. I did not tried to destroy that seed because I did not know it was there

:ladder: > :castle_wall:
    :dirt: > :dirt: