1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Pokemon General

Discussion in 'Other games' started by MechaTrickster, Jan 16, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Smogon used to be hated until stuff like this where you play online became so popular. :|

Also: Mega-evolutions are stupid and just ripoffs of digimon.

2. smogon is still filled with butthurt nerds who lack common sense and spend entire days whining on stealth rock and scald

================================

Ej 2:0 Kouji
    that means im playing bammboo and koujis playing contrary, the loser of that match gets eliminated. YEP

sadly, we managed only to save the first replay:
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-44938259

in the 2nd game kouji used different team leading to a thrilling battle between a paralyzed Snorlax and a paralyzed Amoonguss which resulted in Amoonguss eating a critical hit from Body Slam and me winning

3. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Well I lost 2-0. First round I got rekt pretty bad, second round not so much, it could have gone either way at that point.
    First Round: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-44938259
    Second Round: Well I'd put it down, but showdown decided to stop saving replays at the time so I can't link it. I assuming another DDoS attack or something again or they are going to restart the servers.

So my next match is against Contrary and Ej is against Bammboo.

edit: got ninja'd

4. eamono

eamono Arsonist

People whine about scald? seriously?

5. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Superblackcat 2-1 Mazey

rekt mazey last round. swept whole team with kingdra.lelellelele

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I've liked into the Smogon hate thing a lot and actually I think it's really a vocal minority who get frustrated when they go look for Wifi battles and find playing under restrictions that render their favourite teams invalid. I think a large part of it is that to outsiders, it seems that Smogon is some sort of Illuminati of Pokemon, conspiring to impose arbitrarily boundaries on others. This was my impression of it before I got more into Pokemon. But now, I actually wish that Smogon was more despotic. Tiers are based primarily on usage with specific cutoffs for each tier, but sometimes suspect tests are done for Pokemon thought to potentially be broken. These issues are then voted on by anyone who shows proof of a high enough ranking on both the standard tier and the suspect tier. Any of us here could go vote on whether to say, ban Frosslass from UU if we are able to get a high enough ranking in each of the tiers.

I don't know if you're being ironic but in either case others will take it seriously. Many aspects of Pokemon are debated on Smogon with proponents for both sides. Besides, both Stealth Rock and Scald are very worthy of investigation.

Think of this: Stealth Rocks cleans off 50% health from Pokemon such as Moltres and Scyther for merely having the audacity to switch in. Every time they switch in.

Likewise Scald is very powerful, having distribution to just about everything that even remotely looks like a water type. It has a good base power of 80 with the incredibly strong burn chance. It also gets boosted by the prevalent Rain in OU.

Think of it like this: what can switch into Scald? Well since it's water type lets say grass types. Ok so you switch your Leafeon into that Slowbro. You get burned and its GG since your attack is cut in half and you can no longer do meaningful damage to it as it Recover stalls you. Even if you use a specially based attacker like Shaymin, one of the premiere switchins to bulky waters, you take a measly 15% from Scald but you get burned. On your switch in turn you take 15% from Scald then 10% from burn. Next turn you fire off a Seed Flare or whatever attack as they switch into their Shaymin check (Crobat/Snorlax/Roserade whatever). You take 10% from Life Orb and another 10% from burn. With rocks damage you're now down to less than half health. Thankfully, Shaymin has Nautral Cure and thus is no longer burned once it switches out, but most Pokemon are not that lucky and will be taking that 10% a turn for the rest of the game. Scald can end up doing twice or even 3 times as much damage overall as Surf would. There's even more reasons I can see for looking carefully at Scald such as that the only type naturally immune to burn (Fire) is weak to Scald's water typing.

Anyways I don't think that Scald necessarily needs to be banned nor have I actually read much of the discussion on it, but I think banning it is not an unreasonable idea.

7. contrary got trollbaited
    ----
    Ej 2:0 Bammboo

We forgot to save the first replay. I used the team I had used ro1. He had something with froslass/slowbro/heracross.

2nd game: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-45145839 tbh i played this game really bad and if not some major rng luck against ice shard, i would have lost

8. Game 1 vs Bout:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-45182712
    Bout narrowly avoided a swift doom to paraflinching, and very nearly pulled off a victory -my Zapdos locked into Thunderbolt, his Shaymin was looking to be able to resist it, but then I got a lucky crit (73% HP).

Reudh 1
    Bout 0

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-45184388
    Starting off with my Swampert, I get very lucky with confusion and manage to fire off a Stealth Rock + Roar while he sets up Bulk Up + Dynamic Punch (no guard), then KOing his Victini with a Scald.
    We trade a few blows until my Zapdos HP Grasses his Swampert, where I begin to get cocky.
    Down to a Mismagius and a Bisharp, where I have 5/6 pokemon left, he whittles me down slowly. I knock his Bisharp out, but accidentally let him set up with Nasty Plot. The match went entirely Bout's way after that.

Reudh 1
    Bout 1

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-45185706
    In which Paraflinch rears its ugly head and very nearly causes a 6-0. Togekiss gets knocked out by a combination of Paralysis and Bolt Strike, but with Smooth the Sharpedo on cleanup, there was not much Bout could do.

Reudh 2
    Bout 1

All in all, good few matches - Bout should be proud of himself.

9. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

10. Contrary

I was caught receiving a blowjob from the tournament organizer so I am forced to resign. Kouji moves on to the next bracket.

11. I'd like to deny any implications of myself blowing someone's else Azure Flute. I've never had any intention of that happening and, furthermore, I doubt that obtaining an Arceus might help me or the person whose Flute would be blown as the mentioned pokemon is banished from the tier of UnderUsed we compete in.

also pretty cool games

Kouji likes this.
  12. Kouji

13. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

It's only cuz they like their owners... After all, we DID build them.

14. poor reduh

Kouji, Ej and Superblackcat like this.
  15. eamono likes this.
  16. eamono

eamono Arsonist

Bammboo likes this.
  17. Contrary

I DONT UNDERSTAND EJ

edit: Specs Slowbro is one of my favourite sets... I have Slowbro on half my teams and all of them are Specs lol.

18. Bammboo

Bammboo Ballista Bolt Thrower

Ej can't even make a team that can beat offensive slowbro. #ShitTier5Ever

Superblackcat likes this.
  19. yeah i know and i know it somehow works (even though i still don't like it). this guy sent a slowbro, launched 3 idiotic attacks (meaning it wasn't specs or even scarf) and then proceeded to argue over it (eviolite slowbro holyshit)

Mods: BlueLuigi