1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Command and emoticons menu - need suggestions!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MM, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Miczu

Miczu Shopkeep Stealer

You will have default one, but don't force it into everyone. If you hear 1000th time the same taunt you may change your mind.

2. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

How about one to custom make like counterstrikes spray paint's.

3. SpitfireXero

SpitfireXero KAG Guard Tester

Needs a emote for shielding, whether it's because a builder/archer needs protection or you're signaling that you need to stack Knights. Also, a crying emote. For when you're vewwy vewwy sad :'(

4. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Miczu makes a great point! It'd also make language barriers less persistant, though you'd need some way to show foreign players (e.g. English players on a french server) which phrase is which.

5. mikembley

mikembley Shipwright

Drop resources is the most needed Phrase in my opinion.

By the time i've typed such a phrase, I'd have been dead. This type of feature will increase a teams bond and be able to construct dynamic plans and events through the use of chained phrases.

Another idea that i could think of is targeted phrases; For instance, The last players name that you hovered over with the cursor could be included in the phrase.

Example:
    1. Hover over player, Whose name happens to Bill
    2. Press phrase menu key
    3. Choose targeted phrase
    4. Now the phrase is outputted to screen "Give me resources {Bill} !"

It could give a more specific approach of organizing teams, Like telling individual builders to follow you or build a structure, Because if you had one person shout "Follow me Builders", then ALL of your builder might interpret this to mean them as a whole, But in most cases you wouldnt want that due to some builders staying behind to reinforce defenses.

You're doing a great job improving KAG!

6. archont

archont Shopkeep Stealer

New taunt:

I spit on you!

7. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

Taunts: i got nothin :(
    Team chat: "Rendezvous at outpost" "CHAAAAAAARRRRGE!!!!" "Get the fuck out of my way you useless archer I am clearly trying to build something in your vicinity" That last one could probably be shortened. Maybe.
    Emoticons: Anything that can be used almost as a command such as the ladder one telling builders to build ladders. Functionality over aesthetics imo.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I think we need ideas rather than specific orders. Notions and gestures that can encapsulate a number of uses depending on the situation while at the same time being clear- remember this is visual not oral language. For example rather than having a ladder button and an arrow ladder button and a shield boost button, we need one that communicates something to the effect of "I need to move in this direction but I am unable to; please help me". I think something as simple as a running worker would suffice once repeated use cements its meaning.

Some good emoticons IMO:
    Expressing desire of movement (shield boost me up, place a ladder)
    Destroy/kill the person/obstruction (break this block, kill that runner)
    Distaste (stop building that, you're getting in my way)
    Encouragement (good work, thank you, yes keep doing that)
    Expressing fear/requesting protection (I'm pinned down by arrow fire, protect me while I build)
    Advising caution/I got your back (stand behind my shield, get out of way this will fall)

9. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I would simply like directional arrow emoticons.

"Tunnel right!" right arrow
    "Flag carrier this way!" left arrow
    "Dig UP dammit" up arrow
    "enemy underground!" down arrow.

Acavado likes this.
  10. Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman Shopkeep Stealer

Emotes which are too vague regardless of the situation can always have follow up emotes that better explain the desired meaning. That, and we also have pointing. Someone said earlier that they couldn't tell if the castle emote meant "To the castle!" or "Build a base!". Pointing easily clarifies that: if you want people to head to the castle, point to the castle; if you want someone to build a castle, point at the ground.

11. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

I - "Have at you, peasant!", "For the King!", "This is not tennis, this is WAR."/"This is WAR", "Watch me flex", "Avast, ye scoundrels!".

II - "Enemy forces incoming!", "Defend this ground.", "An outpost is needed here!", "Men, there is danger ahead.", "Siege the enemy territory!".

III - Supply/resources, heart, defense/repair, outpost, flag.

12. LightzZ

LightzZ Shipwright

I - ''Run for your life!'', ''This is a war not a amusement park'', ''Come here girl,Headshot(for acher ;))'', ''No one can stop me??''
    II - ''We need a tower here'', ''build a outpost here'', ''attack them with a catapult'', ''Its the time for rush'', ''fallback'', ''rush'', ''down the archers/builders'', ''we need stairs here'', ''don't let them pass'', ''defend the flag carrier'', ''we need help here.''

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Contrary: agreed. The current emotes menu is fairly good at that though, at least in terms of indicating disgust or humour, or that you want to get up. Some directional arrows would likely help too.

14. archont

archont Shopkeep Stealer

New taunt: I shall wipe my arse with thine flag!

15. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Going with what Contrary and Geti said, I think Emotes primary use should be situational, towards the people around you (e.g. attacking a tower) while commands should express broad concerns (e.g. the team needs more knights, or less builders). To that effect, I think most tactical concepts, like attacking via a tunnel, or informing your team of approaching enemies, qualify for commands.

But, because I think that commands and emotes should be based on situational context, some ideas are fine for both. if you've just died, you may want people at the front lines to build an outpost or catapult, but you can also use a simple emote when they're close to you.

16. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Is the numpad being used for these phrases and emotes?

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

If you turn numpad off it is, thought that's just given me a good general solution to hotkeys, cheers.

18. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

I. Halt = Stop Sign

19. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Was gonna say, cause that's what Diablo 2 used for their emotes:

20. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Get crazy with them code-ies it and make randomized taunts along a neat little taunt tree.

I
    fart​
    at [enemy]​
    at you.​
    throw​
    [thing] at [enemy]​
    [adjective] [thing]​
    expel​
    [thing] at [enemy]​
    will slap​
    your [body part]​
    [adverb]​
    you with [thing]​
    will break​
    your [body part]​
    [adverb]​
    you with [thing]​
    ...​

[enemy]
    smell​
    [none]​
    of [thing]​

Body parts being face, bellybutton, left nostril, other left nostril, hair, lack of hair
    Enemy being you, your father, yo mama, your king, your ancestors, your pet rat.
    Adverbs being vigorously, generously, happily, gaily.
    Things being rat carcasses, pennies, rotten tomatoes.

Yadda yadda, et cetera et cetera.

I mean really now, you know you want to see knights screaming "I will slap your belly button gaily" Think of the effectiveness on new players coming into the game. They'll be like "Oh man, this is great". And you'll not be bored with the same few meaningless taunts, eh? Eh eh eh? Yuhuh.

As for team emotes, I like the arrow idea. It's effective and tells you, essentially, exactly what you need to know. What would be nice would be to hold another button and WASD (something like Shift-W) to point, say, up, and give a shout of "Above!" "Overhead!" "Look to the skies!" "Up in the air!" "High!" . It would feel more integrated with the game? Shift + movement key could let you do quick chats midbattle. Even Shift + F/E/C/Mouse1/Mouse2. It could be done much quicker and intuitively then from a usual menu system since players already know the functions of those keys.