1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Indie Games; post some of your favorites!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by thebonesauce, May 9, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

I just noticed that we haven't really talked about Don't Starve yet, which amazes me. For any of you who don't know about it, it's a top-down survival-sandbox based game with a hand-drawn art style. It's in Beta (I think), and gets fairly consistent updates. The game is very complex and alive, but you aren't given any instructions, just left alone in a weird alien world, and told to just not die. You have multiple characters to unlock, all with very unique attributes that invoke different gameplay styles, including having a dead sister as a partner mob, being a pyro, growing a beard, and in the latest update, having a talking axe and turning into a "Werebeaver" on full moons.

My favorite part of the game has to be the mobs. The game has a huge slew of hostile, neutral, and friendly mobs, all with unique behaviors. Lots of them you can use to your advantage. For example, if you accidentally aggro a Treeguard, a slow giant living tree with tons of health and damage that will attempt to murder you if it catches you cutting down any trees, you can tame it by planting trees near it, thus gaining a very powerful neutral mob, protecting you against the more hostile ones (if you can get the hostile mob to attack the Treeguard, that is). Not only that, you can be living with humanoid Pigs, who will fight for you if you feed them, an animate chest named Chester, and even humanoid bunnies that remain passive unless they catch you with meat. The game world changes and evolves with or without you, the mobs hunt and interact with one another, and it makes for this fantastic world to live and not starve in.

There are some problems, though. The game can be very receptive as you grind for food or some item you need to advance in science or magic crafting tiers, and because of the extreme amount of forethought and planning the game requires, it can be a little intimidating to come back to. The progression in that game is very, very slow, and there are multiple progression walls, such as having to kill a Treeguard to advance to tier 1 magic. And when you run into a Spider Queen, you might as well kiss that area goodbye until you get considerably better armor and weapons. Large swamps might as well be physical barriers until you deck yourself out. Also, the combat is absolute shit. It's frustrating, basic, and annoying. Luckily, it's usually best to use round-about ways to kill hostile mobs, like using another mob, or just setting it on fire.

Anyway, the game is tons of fun if you can get into it. I have a tab with the wiki on it open basically 24/7, if that gives you any idea. It can be hard to get into, but goddamn can it suck you in. It's being developed by Klei Entertainment.

2. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

3. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

NOT roguelike --> they call it rogue-lite.
    fuck vince.
    splatters looks awesome though.
    It's a shame they don't explain the mechanics very well,
    do you just throw stuff together, flip their directions, and hope for views?

4. Noburu

There are quite a few different things you can do. You can make your blob jump once before launching, you can reverse time somewhat, and you can also give it one last push as it is breaking apart. Also, whos vince?

5. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

didn't you watch the trailer? :eek:

6. Noburu

Nope i almost never watch youtubers. If its not in text for me to speed read forgetaboutit

BlueLuigi, Fate and Beef like this.
  7. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Then you will never know about Vince.
    He will forever remain shrouded in mysteries and questions, the shadows of the unknown, the fog that obscures the sight.

8. JaniKutscher

JaniKutscher Builder Fan Donator

Project Zomboid

9. Spec7

Spec7 Tree Planter

Parameters (Browser Game)

[​IMG]

It can be played on either English or Japanese, somewhat of an rpg requires only the control of mouse. Also essential to drag the mouse to pick up money and experience. May take roughly an hour to complete. For the familiar, half hour or less. Worth while of fun.

Fate and Noburu like this.
  10. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Risk of Rain

Hawxx and Fate like this.
  11. Grendell100

Grendell100 Haxor

12. rocker2

rocker2 Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

The original Spelunky, though it probably has been pointed out already.

yey 4 unofficial mac ports

e: oh yeah and the binding of isaac, I'm sort of a sucker for rouge-lites.
    e2: I just bought the new Spelunky and it's fucking awesome, I can recommend it too.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  13. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Age of Decadence
    Don't know if it has been spoken about.
    It just hit early access on steam and has been in development for quite a while.
    Its a game inspired by Fallout 1/2 and has a very deep dialogue system.
    http://www.irontowerstudio.com/
    So if you like CRPG's then this is probably a long awaited gem.
    TL;DR = Try demo.

Fate likes this.
  14. Spec7

Spec7 Tree Planter

N v2.0 (Browser Game & Dl)

[​IMG]

"Be warned, N is a highly addictive, sometimes very frustrating game." - n media

Definitely a favorite of indie platforming.

SlyStalker likes this.
  15. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I've heard that's one of Geti's favourite games.

Galabranth likes this.
  16. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Geti made a couple maps for the game as well. They're all pretty hard (played them before) ::P:

17. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I know he made quite a few maps for the original N, I wonder if he's made or plans to make any for N2

18. Spec7

Spec7 Tree Planter

Battle of Icons (Browser Games)

Favimon

[​IMG]

I think of it as a web version of pokemon where battling and collecting favorite web icons is possible. It gets repetitive overtime once an opponent gets to health of 10. Loads of different classes and familiar actions.

DotWar

[​IMG]

A twitter-based battler, avatar war with each other as little soldiers.

19. BlueLuigi and Fate like this.
  20. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Mods: BlueLuigi