1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Art Dump

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lizardheim, May 30, 2011.

1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

As a frequent admirer of female booty I definitely identify that as an ass not tits.

But artistically it's a great ass. I like the wide dithering.

illu and Mathewson like this.
  2. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

I love the dithering :p
    Edit: Dammit! Ninja'd!

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Did something this morning -Ace of Spades fanart:

Spadesart.png

Although I'm not so much a fan anymore, and no one hosts those default maps either :(

Sammy257 and Eggnogg like this.
  4. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

Reposting this question. I'm still having trouble.

It also doesn't really help that I just noticed I had 10 more games from the added games from the HIB #3 and that I got the HIB #2 because I paid over the average at #3. That's a lot of games.

5. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Here's a method.

But it's extremely tedious, and is pointless unless you have the equipment to obtain perfect measurements, angles, etc. It's much easier just to experiment, or you could model a cube, and then look at it from the desired angle to see what works.

6. Smilecythe

Smilecythe Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

[​IMG]
    Unfinished tileset for one certain level. Download and zoom if you want to kike my pixel techniques.

7. Lizardheim

Lizardheim Shopkeep Stealer

Love the chaos engine vibe it's giving off, nice work!

8. Smilecythe

Music time!

9. Monsteri

You think nooone will notice 1:23? :p (YouTube's sucky)

Well actually I like it the best, the red bikinis don't go too well with the art.
    Music's ok.

10. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

I did, I mean didn't notice 1:23 honest :P The Dub Step Go part is a nice addition to the tune :D

11. Smilecythe

It's a force of habit of mine to to push my luck once in a while.

edit:

Doing music sucks so back to pixel art:

[​IMG]
    Title logo for my game project "Core of Pulcher". 16 colours

12. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

Wait... So what you are saying is... You did his ENTIRE picture with a 16-color palette?
    Respect bro.

13. Monsteri

'Core Pulchea' or 'Core Poa Pulchea'? :huh?:

Anyway it's neat and well done.

14. enkas

enkas Shipwright

Now this what happens, when you forget to use your bombs. Forgive the crappyness of this image, I done it only for the lulz
    [​IMG]

15. dekkerdave

dekkerdave Shopkeep Stealer

From what miraculous server is this scene? Because I'm suprised about the absence of skybridges! :D

Chosen likes this.
  16. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

I've pretty much stopped pixel art, because I'm busy with Python. Programming stimulates my mathmetical and analysing tendencies, while allowing me to be creative by trying different things.

Also, about pixel art... Even the simplest of things, such as creating a perfect square or circle, are just a bit too hard for me. It gets tiresome. With Python, my first sentence written, 'Print "Hello World!" immediately worked. My first 'apple' didn't.

I am now going to mourn the death of my inner artist.

17. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well duh of course it wasn't perfect. It didn't "not work", I mean your intention was to communicate an apple, and it looked like an apple. Success. But again, it wasn't an amazing work of art.

Print "Hello World" is in no way even close to being analogous to drawing an apple. You underestimate the difficulty of drawing an apple; even objects that you deem "simple" are an intricate exercise. Every component of the colour of every pixel affects every adjacent pixel, which then affects their adjacent pixel and in turn the entire piece is changed entirely by changing a single value of a single pixel. I would not expect a beginner to be able to make a 16 x 16 black and white sprite without flaw, let alone your incredible large polychromatic apple. Unfathomable amounts of time are put into tiny but vital clusters of 3-4 pixels to move the piece marginally closer to perfection.

That isn't to say that there isn't art in code, but that art is only found in intricate pieces, not in simple things like "Hello World". Again, Print Hello World isn't art, it is a building block. Akin to placing a nicely coloured pixel.

And I'm not even a real artist! Smilecythe or Geti could explain this to you much better than I, who merely postulates.

18. Lizardheim

Lizardheim Shopkeep Stealer

Pretty much what contrary said, Art being correct is more of a feeling, code being correct is either right, wrong or badly optimized.

19. IloveElectro

IloveElectro Base Burner

20. Smilecythe

Hello there monsieur, cool house and electro you have there.

Sometimes it helps to take a reference from other pieces and in taking reference from pixel art this means zooming X times and stealing and learning some techniques which you believe you can grasp and use yourself.

[​IMG]

I'm an artist myself, but bad explaining things.

IloveElectro likes this.