1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[Request] Program to make maps

Discussion in 'Modding Help' started by Mazey, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Hi, does anyone know a program which I can make maps with on Linux?
    I've tried Pinta but it can't save at 24bit. I also tried gimp but I completely hate it (on Linux), it's a retarded program.

2. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I'm not going to install stupid Windows and what should I wine? As wining paint.NET is very difficult/impossible and total shit in wine.

3. qpKillerqp

qpKillerqp Haxor

Try Aseprite...Great program,never tried the Linux version though... :)

4. Mazey

It's total shit (in general and very for maps).

5. qpKillerqp

qpKillerqp Haxor

6. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

try a good OS

7. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

SCUM, I should delete your unhelpful post >: ( Linux is great, but I too suffer from this, the paint programs simply suck on Linux. I use GIMP for mapping when I use Linux, after a while the annoying interface actually gets better, I also suggest you use it in single window mode, it helps a lot.

Asprite out of the box is borked (at least in debian based distros) the screen width sux, so you need to launch via command line and specify your dimensions, or create a command/script to launch it.

If anyone has any better mapping programs or helpful solutions that would be sweet ;_;

Mazey likes this.
  8. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

actually it was helpful,because if he switch to windows he would be able to use better programs

Klokinator and Contrary like this.
  9. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Actually, all you did was suggest a "Good OS" which is subjective to each and everyone of us. I would consider Linux a "Good OS". Someone also already mentioned Dual booting windows, so all your post did was give you + 1 in post count. It's posts like these that bring the community down, he came here seeking help, it is after all the help section. I'm sure if the places were switched you wouldn't want that post.

back on topic:

This one is another Photoshop alternative, never used it personally, but looks alright: http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

Here are some others:

xpaint - simple paint program for X
    pinta - Simple drawing/painting program
    kolourpaint4 - simple image editor and drawing application
    gnome-paint - simple, easy to use paint program for GNOME
    gpaint - GNU Paint - a small, easy to use paint program for GNOME
    krita - pixel-based image manipulation program for the KDE Office Suite

These however are lacking in advanced features that are offered with paint.net or GIMP/Photoshop

10. Mazey

I would but windows sucks and Linux is good.
    -Linux hardly has any viruses
    -It almost never crashes while (old) windows do (e.g XP and below)
    -Viruses, trojans, adware, spyware... Windows lets all these enter your computer pretty easily. The average period of time before a Windows PC (connected to the Internet and with a default "Service Pack 2" installation) gets infected is 40 minutes (and it sometimes takes as little time as 30 seconds).
    Linux is open source which means many people can easily say what to improve so there are no open 'holes' (fact).
    -Linux is free which means it's build for people and not for money
    -No crapware installed by default
    -Freedom
    -When you get Linux (such as Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora, etc., these are different "flavors" of Linux), you also get, without installing anything more :
    • Everything you need to write texts, edit spreadsheets, make neat presentations, draw, edit equations.
    • A web browser (eg Firefox) and an email program (eg Thunderbird, or Evolution).
    • An image editor (GIMP) nearly as powerful as Photoshop.
    • An instant messenger.
    • A movie player.
    • A music player and organizer.
    • A PDF reader.
    • Everything you need to uncompress archives (ZIP, etc.).
    -
    Linux doesn't need separate drivers. All the drivers are already included in the Linux kernel, the core of the system, and that comes with every single Linux installation. This means:
    • A very fast and standalone installation process. Once you're done, you have everything you need to start working (including the software you'll be using, see "When the system has installed..." item on this website).
    • Out-of-the-box ready peripherals.
    • Less harm for the planet because all these CDs don't need to come with hardware any more (well, at least once Windows don't need them either...).
    -Windows has a pretty convenient tool called "Windows update", which allows you to update your system with the latest updates available, but what if you want to update non-windows stuff? Linux has a central place called the "Package manager", which takes care of everything installed on your system, but also every single piece of software your computer has. So if you want to keep everything up-to-date, the only thing you need to do is press the "Install Updates" button
    -Around 25 commercial programs (+- 25% is must-have) on Windows with a total of a few thousand dollars are free open-source programs on Linux

Please tell if I need to continue.

Asu and kaizokuroof like this.
  11. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

let me reformulate what i said:
    get a OS that can run good programs

and no,stop,that's not a discussion to see what OS is better,an OS is better at something while another is not,windows has a bigger program support you have to admit it
    edit:
    it was a joke anyway,i've tried to install linux once,i don't think linux is bad,it's just bad at program support

12. sinnertie

sinnertie Ministry of Hatred Forum Moderator Donator Tester

13. Mazey

Screenshot from 2013-10-05 21:14:44.png
    How am I spposed to make maps in that? Not even a color picker/zoom/grid, I wonder if it exports in 24/32bits so KAG can run it too..

14. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

I remember there was a good PDN version for linux using mono, but I don't remember its name.
    I tried it on ubuntu ( Don't have it anymore ) and it was nice.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Learn play on gimp. I still laugh at the fact that they haven't made single window mode default yet, or got a handle on what makes a usable interface in general, but it's your best bet for image format and compatibility's sake. All you need is pencil tool at 1px and the fill bucket. Keys for these are N and shift B from memory. Hold either Alt or Ctrl to colour pick, I can't remember if gimp is sane on this one or not - either way don't bother swapping tools to do it.

Haven't used gimp properly for a few years though because it's outclassed by photoshop for everything except layered indexed images. Considering this isn't the 90s and indexed images aren't required most of the time, it's a non-issue.

Alternatively, old photoshop runs acceptably for mouse/kb use in wine (I remember PS7 running fine, lack of tablet support was a boner killer). GraphicsGale does as well. For gale you'll have to set up the hotkeys yourself though :^)

( re: windows getting a virus within 40 minutes, maybe in the hands of poker-addicted grandma. you're dreaming if you think that's average use case outcome on modern windows )

Guitarman likes this.
  16. Mazey

I've spent around an hour changing gimp so it's more acceptable to use. So I wanted to start, but the pencil only gave 'dots' from 100 by 100 and I couldn't change it abywhere in tool options, same for eraser, there wasn't an option to turn blur or whatever you call it off.

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Pencil: select "pixel" square brush and set size/scale to 1
    Eraser: same, also turn on "hard edge" to remove antialiasing - note however that for mapping, you shouldn't _need_ the eraser anyway, since you wont be working with transparent images and you can just colour-pick the sky.