1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Any good survival games out there?

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Mechios, Oct 10, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Mechios

Mechios Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hello my fellow KAG's and KAGi's,

I guess the title already says what i'm searching for, but i search a bit more specific:

I'm searching for REAL survival games, where you have to survive with your bare hands, build your own stuff one by one. or at least let me command some guys to build stuff for me the same way.

Just to be sure:

- no Minecraft

But yeah, that's pretty much it.

2. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Stranded 2.(free,pretty good)
    Robinsons Requiem(if you can understand anything of it).
    Don't Starve.

Mechios likes this.
  3. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Lel, if you even possibly thought that minecraft was a survival game, then lol

BTW, "Don't Starve" is a pretty good one.

J-man2003, MadDog, Froghead48 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mechios

There is a difference in"thinking it is this genre", and mentioning this piece of...something, to say it nice.
    I've simply got way to much suggestions for Minecraft as i can handle.

I also already have Don't Starve, but it could'nt hold me for too long - but fairly said much longer as most other games, but I'll search for Robinsons Requiem and take a look.

5. miniu

miniu Haxor

Terraria ?
    The Bind Of Isaac ?
    Dead Pixels ?

Mechios likes this.
  6. Mechios

Terraria is pretty boring with all the stupid Account - Servers and theyr 12 h dropdown Zone where all the accounts get deleted again.
    And im not realy sure...but for me is The Binding of Isaac pretty much like a arcade game - so not realy what i'm searching for.
    But Dead Pixels looks promising, I'll check it out, thanks.

7. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Don't Starve is the best survival crafting game I have played, hands down. This game will never let you become comfortable, every day is a struggle for survival. While some days are softer than the others, you still have to keep harvesting, every single day. It is tough as nails, but also incredibly fun.

If you have a twisted sense of "survival", then there's the Adventure Mode of Dwarf Fortress. It's essentially a really brutal roguelike. Not much building and crafting, more just trying to survive the game mechanics (initially) and enemies. In that sense, probably not what you are looking for, but thought I'd put this in here anyway.

Noburu likes this.
  8. Mechios

First of all: Taste is different.
    And i don't hate Don't Starve in any way, neither have i a "twistet sense of survival" - it simply became boring as the time went on while i played it.

And nope, also try'd Dwarf Fortress in my long Journey for survival. Not bad, but it wasn't what i was looking for.

Fate likes this.
  9. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

You could also try Under the Garden (precursor to the Under the Ocean), it's more pixelly and has a temperature system where you must remain warm. It wasn't fully finished if I recall correctly, but it was a fun little game. I don't know where you might be able to get it now though, as the website redirects you to Under the Ocean immdiately.

Edit: Found link: http://rambros.s3.amazonaws.com/garden.zip

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    Mechios likes this.
  10. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

11. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

what the what? Are you sure you're thinking of the right game? http://www.terraria.org/index2.html

12. Mechios

Ah, thanks. I'll take a look at it as soon as i am on my computer.
    Im impressed, a good game that isn't flashplayer - based and in old fashion.
    A good game, i guess, but sadly need a Xbox - Controller in its current state.
    I have no Xbox btw., and won't buy a controller for just one game. Im waiting for the "real" release of the Pc - version.
    I'm pretty sure i'm talking about the right game.
    Since it's a comunity based sandbox game - there are tons of...yes, comunity hosted servers that seem to use the same mod for its "savety".
    I'm not tipping that it's bad to host a comunity - server, but local hosted servers in combination with its account - creating - mod doesn't do anything good for this game.
    Maybe the creator of the mod fixed this problem already, but i don't enjoy it anyway to have my own "account", only to play on a server. No matter if there are griefers out there.

13. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

It's not a community based sandbox game. It's a survival game. You dont need to play on these modded servers. And shouldn't if you are looking for a real survival experience. Then again terraria is not a very good example of a good survival experience

14. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

that's a pretty interesting point. I've always seen the game as a single player adventure/sandbox, with a possibility of going multiplayer with people you know on a server you host.

15. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Well at first its a survival game and feels like it to, but you slowy realize as you go up the item tiers that it is a game about epic loot, and grinding to get said epic loot. I guess a sandbox/adventure/rpg is best used for terraria then.

16. Mechios

Well then, another Off Topic completed.

Anyways, i've looked up a little game called Project Zomboid that was not bad, but pretty early last time i checked it. I didn't buy the game yet, so i can't tell how it may be - just wanted to give something out for a change.

17. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

From what I heard PZ development was pretty slow a while back.
    With all those inconvenient robberies and whatnot constantly slowing them down.

Also forgot to mention Under the ocean.
    Sequel to under the garden.
    Pretty bare bones now so not sure I would recommend it, might be worth keeping an eye on though.
    And Mdickie has a survival game too.
    Its weird as hell but you can have a few laughs at the weird stuff going on.

18. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Sarkalest and CheeseMeister like this.
  19. JaniKutscher

JaniKutscher Builder Fan Donator

Steam only:
    Project Zomboid
    How to survive
    State of defency

Bruno-Brazuka likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi