1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[909][Gen] Nifty little tricks and tips

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Klokinator, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

So I played for about 4 hours straight today (3 of which were on one map before I quit) and I had an idea to make a thread where people can share tips and tricks, or maybe little nuances of how the game works that may not be especially common knowledge.

For example.

-When on a map with water, dig out two horizontal tiles at the bottom, place a wooden/stone door, and dig under it. The water will not go through. I thought that was a pretty cool little thing to know myself. However, if the door(s) are destroyed, the tunnel will flood, so beware! (Though it can doubly be useful when digging under an enemy base and sealing the tunnel so they can't use it against you.)

-Water extinguishes lanterns and cools off drills faster. It seems obvious, but it's a neat little thing some might miss.

-Pressing spacebar rotates things. I know this is stupidly easy to get while you're playing, but none of the tutorials cover it and 90% of builders don't seem to know this. Rotate wooden platforms so that archers can fire through them and enemy archers can't. Rotate stone blocks to waste massive amounts of time. Etc.

[​IMG]
    I find that this helps my fellow archers a lot, gives them something to fire through, and also protects them from knights slashing up at them.

-On a rotated platform, knights appear to be able to get stuck on the side of them. I think this is a glitch, but I'm not sure.

-Enemy archers appear to have a large degree of difficulty in scaling wooden platforms, I like to try and use this against them.

-Using a pattern of wood, stone, wood, stone for your walls and buildings seems to make them reinforced better. I'm still not sure how bombs and kegs affect stone VS wood, so I'm not sure about that.

-Never build doors on the ground level. Always build them at least 5 blocks high, maybe 6, but usually no higher unless necessary.

Anyone else got more?

pvt_tod likes this.
  2. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Never buy a keg unless you are fairly sure you can deliver it to the enemy fortifications. Or at least you can ensure that the keg won't be in the hands of the enemy team should you die.

3. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

Never ever shield someone's bomb for bombjumping, it negates the distance for that person. Never take someones bomb for a double bomb jump or your a massive douche

4. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

Doors are breathing apparatuses underwater. The important thing is that the air pocket they create when you move into them covers your sprite head. (Duh.) If the devs remove this it would such a shame. It's the only thing that makes mining in deep water feasible.

EDIT: Unless, of course, they changed water and/or sponges in some way that made sponges actually worth something.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    Klokinator likes this.
  5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Does anyone know how much water a sponge actually soaks up? I was under the impression that each tile of water was a self replicating tile, so anything you soak up would just come back in a few seconds anyway. If there was a way to dry out a whole lake though, I'd be very interested in that method.

6. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

You would have to section off a small portion at a time to soak it up, because you have to start from top to bottom. This would really just be very time consuming to get rid of some water which most people can build around anyways. Don't dry up lakes man, water is a valuable resource

Oh, and for a general tip for people, if you are doing a single bomb jump, don't throw the bomb on the ground or platform first.
    Reason 1) It destroys what you're standing on, so if it's a building, your builders will get mad at you
    Reason 2) It leaves room for someone else to mess with your jump. an archer can shoot the bomb away from you, or another guy can pick it up. This is difficult to do at first, but once you get the timing down, You will have a lot more control over your bomb jumps

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: sponges, you can use them very effectively in anything 2 tiles wide or less (just toss the sponge along the tunnel or walk with it) - that said you'll need to section areas off. I believe sponges can absorb 150 tiles of water, but unless the sponge is moving through the water they quickly become saturated by the water spreading.

I think they're already useful (I've seen them used successfully to unflood halls in tth and to unflood tunnels in general) - making them able to absorb a lake trivially seems a bit misguided :^)

Rubixxcube likes this.
  8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I found another cool trick out today, and it's super easy to do. Any map that has water near an easily fortified location can use this. Build trap blocks in the first tile of water (Not right above it, in it) and then put downward facing wooden platforms right above that. Enemies will fall in and be trapped beneath the platforms underwater where they suffocate, but your team-mates can walk over top of the trap blocks just fine.

Also Geti, I wish people could fall through upward facing platforms if they were from the same team.

9. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Here's another good tip for people, in TTH, build 2 military supplies immediately. that gives everyone bombs and arrows. and in CTF, build builder, archer, and knight workshop during build time.

10. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Always remember to try and always have at least 1 builder on your team who is working on repairing the base and pushing outwards, even more so in CTF, maybe 2 or more builders if the server is full. Also, even though "Minecrafters" are very important when defending the flags, try not to have too many! No point in defending your flags if no one will get the enemy flags!

Also at the same time try to have as few non-builders during build time. Even if you can't build, you can still mine stone and cut down trees. It is better than doing nothing for 60 some seconds, you don't have to but the more supplies the better! And you can always switch classes right before the match starts, so no harm done!

Never bring stone into battle unless you know it will go to use. Never bring gold into battle at all! And never bring large amounts of either into battle! They both are worth a lot in this game, and handing the enemy a whole 200 stone or losing it in the water forever hurts the team more than you might know! Also building with stone to tower onto enemy structures or block doors, unless you are building your own doors onto it, is a complete waste and in-fact might help them!

Anyway, that is about all I've got, for now. Some of these are really obvious, others I see people do all the time, all are something I've learned when playing! xD

11. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester

For knights, always pocket extra hearts around the battlefield and inv them for later use. Saves lives and battles. [SPACE-BAR SPAM INTENSIFIES]

Since logs were removed, your next possible throw-able item is a corpse. If you can, pick up a corpse and toss it at an enemy during a slash / archer on a clifif / builder trying to run; he or she will be pushed back / slowed down (and possibly off ledges / cliffs ).

12. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

Yeah, corpses are valuable. They can be thrown at enemies, but more importantly they can be used to trigger a mine in a kind of controlled explosion.

I've also been fooled many times into a false sense of security when a knight was approaching me, carrying a corpse of my team, and then stabbed me in the face because I didn't realize what their real color was. That really only works on idiots like me, but there ya go.

Food and I3lue like this.
  13. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

1. You can use sponges as rebreathers underwater.
    2. You can pre-place the trap blocks and hold down while you drop the mill saw. Might have to do a couple of times to force the saw down.
    screen-13-09-28-15-30-05.png
    3. If you are trapped in a platform trap you can grapple slide under them. With a combination of pressing down and grapple. Iffy of when it works or not.
    screen-13-10-13-19-39-53.png
    4. When playing archer you cannot light the keg, only toss it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  14. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

Unless your base is VERY tall, never put a mine near your base. Enemy knights can minejump over.
    on ctf, it is useful to make a protected room of shops in the build time, so you can have a good run of supplies in the game.
    If you have nothing to do in ctf buildtime, mine gold and make a siege shop INSIDE A STONE BUILDING.

15. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Trees always fall in whatever direction your character is facing when you cut them down. If they touch a block while falling, they instantly collapse to make a pile of wood.The further a block is from the tree, the longer it takes to fall and the more time is wasted.

When making a mill trap, always leave stone doors to the side of the trap if possible. When allies/enemies fall in, they often drop coins and goodies! You need to be able to raid those items for your team's own use or you're only getting 50% the goodness you could be getting.

NEVER PUT TRAMPOLINES IN FRONT OF YOUR TOWERS! For the love of fuck someone just did this in a game and I wanted to murder them. Maybe it was a griefer, I refuse to believe anyone would be that idiotic.

If you HAVE to stay as a worthless knight/archer during buildtime, stay away from the front until the last 6ish seconds. Seriously, if you keep hopping on my structure over and over while I'm trying to build, I will hack the game and delete you forever.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 15, 2013, Original Post Date: Oct 19, 2013 ---
    So I was playing on a server today (JTG was also there at one point I think) and some guy started spamming wooden doors in the water. I was like "wtf this is sooo fucking retarded" but we won because of those doors for three reasons.

1. When stepping inside a wooden door underwater, the negative pressure the water exerts on your character disappears, making you move as fast as you were on land. Building a long thick line of doors like this previously unrecognized genius did allows you to move through a long stretch of water just as fast as when you're on land.

2. Enemy knights can't really take the time to destroy them because they'll drown before they break more than two of them. Builders can sure, but there are more important things to do (in their mind) than break a couple underwater doors.

3. It gives your guys air if you put the line of doors two tiles up and not at the very bottom of the water. I ended up smoothing it out and making a straight runway for the optimal speed..

Because of the mobility underwater thing though, our knights were able to keep getting to the enemy long before they reached us, and we eventually won with a concentrated bomb arrow barrage on their (surprisingly terribly unfortified) flag.

Yes, it looks ugly, and it's kinda dumb as fuck, but it works, and it's a little tip/trick which is why I'm posting it here.

Food likes this.
  16. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

You only had any measure of success because the server admin decided to ban me after I started breaching your stuff and disintegrating your base killing him in the process a few times.

norill likes this.
  17. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Oh I thought you randomly left and I was like "Shit now that JTG's gone they don't really have a chance."

They held out for another half hour though, I'll give them credit there.

Edit: How the fuck does a forum moderator get banned from the game he moderates??

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  18. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester

because in a time of KAG, we still run into badmins who can't take being wrecked.

Apronymous and Rubixxcube like this.
  19. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I thought you guys had like, coded immunity to that though XD

20. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

Sitting in the very back of a longboat gives you access to the sail, and it gives you a lot of speed. I don't know if many people know this or not.

epenow likes this.