1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 912 - Catapult Optimisations and Changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Oct 15, 2013.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

So, you know that slideshow thing that happens when the catapult fires sometimes? Hopefully that’s fixed. If it’s not, let us know in the thread and tell us if the parameters have changed at all (used to lag as the rocks hit the ground in busy games).

As well, cata damage versus tiles has changed a little, and the vehicles code has been completely reworked by MM today to require many fewer hash table/properties lookups. This basically means it runs faster, as confirmed by profiling - we’ll see how much of a difference it makes in public games though.

Particles have been optimised a little more - there’s still one possible optimisation there that will be turned to if they still pose a problem, but the focus at the moment is problem scripts :^)

Very glad to be done with B911 and its map problems.

Server owners, for the third time in 24 hours, get your patching hats on!

Full changelog:

[removed] hurt on collide etc from catapult rock
    [modified] rock doesn't use collisions (wip)
    [script][added] bind for Random::getSeed()
    [script] major change to Vehicle scripts
    [script] optimized vehicle script to use a structure isntead of properties
    [fixed] fixed camera on gunner position
    [modified] config files missing are warnings instead of errors
    [fixed] chicken == flag mistake on JTG map
    [modified] cata more effective on roof than wall, but doesn't "pierce" with normal rocks so much

Max/Geti

Original DevBlog post.

Scrub, Beepo, NinjaCell and 2 others like this.
  2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Fuck this is addictive.

Joiken, Inferdy and 8x like this.
  3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

guys, can you make a new way for workshop building, today method are realy sucs (it is that path of builder life that i hate)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    Atheon and Dioxyde like this.
  5. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Well, I'd like to be able to place workshops down the same way we place e.g. ladders down. I guess this is what you were suggesting as well.

6. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I miss the classic one tile ladders. I guess the new ladders are technically "superior" since it's more coverage, but their placement always feels wonky and they cover three tiles, instead of 2 or 4, so they're harder to place IMO.

Unless that was the goal of course.

Joiken and Dioxyde like this.
  7. kilmanio

kilmanio Arsonist

The good old days of falling blocks and fun placement.

8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I wish trap blocks weren't so obvious. It's not much of a trap if the enemy can see it coming. I played a roleplay server today where the trap blocks looked identical to normal blocks, and there were some hilarious moments. Considering trap blocks are already destroyable by the enemy (as well as wooden platforms) and spikes don't deal damage on hit (They deal repeated damage if you just sit on them), it makes spike traps ineffective. Mill traps are the only decent ones ingame right now, block fall traps do diddly for damage... at least make trap blocks more concealed.

Atheon likes this.
  9. kilmanio

kilmanio Arsonist

In a RP server you do not want trap blocks that look like stone blocks, simply because RP is not about random murder.

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well there's one roleplay I keep getting on not because all the CTF/TTH servers are down in the early morning... yeah for sure! and the trap blocks look identical to the normal blocks. It actually can lead to some hilarious mazes with lots of fall traps.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  11. master-chief

master-chief Arsonist

yea i cant seem to get on any of the mutiplayer servers because kag just crashes everytime i click browse servers
    is this abug or just my pc hateing me

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: block/workshop placement - that's one of the last things on my list for this week, but it'll be worked on after steam stuff is 100% done :^)

Re: traps - block drops with spikes are much more effective (instant kill), but I've heard suggestions for a rock-drop based machine that you could feed stone mats to drop rocks on invaders. It may be possible, not sure how it'd fit into the F menu grid though.
    Spikes deal damage on hit (ie the way they did in classic) if you _dont_ build them on stone. If you build them on stone, they will retract. You can make knight proof pits with some instant hit spikes by alternating stone and wood blocks, and placing the spikes on wood. I find small traps with spikes on stone, a trap block and a platform for holding trapped enemies in works, but obviously has issues in larger playercount games (it can be set up very quickly in the field though.

Trap blocks that look identical to stone are unlikely to happen - if that were they case you couldn't tell easily if someone was griefing your pit with stone or helping with trap blocks. I do like the idea of it in theory though.

Re: ladders, the "strange" feeling placing them may be fixed by improved block placement. They are larger because they aren't tiles now, a large number of them would contribute unnecessarily to lag.

Atheon likes this.
  13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Just sayin', but shouldn't it be possible to have trap blocks look like stone blocks to enemies only? Because that would be both awesome and avoid the griefing problem. No? :3

jackitch likes this.
  14. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

No. No way, nope, never in the world should this be added.

because I'd get caught waaaay too many times.

Seriously though, maybe make them more like stone, but don't copy stone exactly. It might look cool, and be fun at the start, but like water ammo, It will quickly turn irritating once the hype has worn off.:>:(:

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

That's actually possible - though they'd still be able to identify trap blocks due to the particles that come off them when hit. I'm not sure it's a good idea though.

NinjaCell and Atheon like this.
  16. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

Two Idea's
    1.Make bison's tamable, so we can actually try to control them away and use them as our advantage in CTF
    2. When carrying a chicken can we atleast jab or both(slash), but the jab/slash doesn't affect the chicken?

So what do you guys think?

NinjaCell and Atheon like this.
  17. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

What is the point of a trap if you can see it coming? sadly, trap blocks stick out from the normal blocks and are easy to see.

The best trap is one that catches you by surprise, but once you know it's there, you know where to avoid, so really if you fall for the trap more than once without being pushed into it by some knight, it's your fault for being ignorant.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  18. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

No need to rush with steam out. Only an opinion, but first should make game as better as it possible.

Atheon and Dioxyde like this.
  19. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Bison taming: Would be hell on earth to balance.
    Chicken jab/slash: No. Makes chickens a bit TOO useful. Plus, the chicken technique is based on LoZ, in which you have to hold onto the chicken with two hands to fly, which leaves you no way to attack while holding the chicken.

In other words, no to both.

Atheon likes this.
  20. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

just letting you know, there's a rare way to tame bison *snicker*

ps, still waiting for a size fix for my fullscreen problem; still cant screenshot / votekick / etc.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Apronymous and Atheon like this.