1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Classic, Hello Beta.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gurin, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

It's time to say goodbye, we must move with the the King. All the times we've had on classic is over, come to beta and help out the new-comers.
    Test out beta and see how you like it, is it a good or bad response? You decide.

Lots of people are now on Beta and counting, it is a hit on steam. Come while you still can to learn with the others!
    ----
    Discussion: Classic or Beta? (Don't say: "because i dont have premium." ) Say what is good about both, have you enjoyed beta over the "trying out the game" period? Will you be buying premium in the future to try out this amazing game?
    -------
    K.

Malitha, rocker2, Piano and 5 others like this.
  2. MrError

MrError Ballista Bolt Thrower

Beta is better, beacuse mods ;_;

3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Both have mods though.

miniu likes this.
  4. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Classic is very limited and hard to make any great mods. Beta changes this.

Galabranth likes this.
  5. IrishSmalls

IrishSmalls Bison Rider

Bye, have fun playing beta :')

Celia, PUNK123, miniu and 3 others like this.
  6. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

I really enjoy Beta. Apparently not called Beta but oh well. I really enjoy it and the times I have had on it are so amazing. Some old players that I knew I have seen that I haven't seen in a while. Beta is superior to Classic.

7. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Sumo. Sumo. Sumo.

Need I say more?

Conquerer, miniu and PinXviiN like this.
  8. PadaV4

PadaV4 Shopkeep Stealer

no classic = no kag for me
    beta is too messy.

9. Your bloody parts spread all over the Beta server is too messy. :>

Before I thought Beta was "meh". After suffering so much lag on Classic I tried out Beta (no longer Beta apparently). And I actually liked it. The gameplay is fresh compared to the stale klunky controls/mechanics in Classic (not saying that it sucks, its just getting repetitive). To those naysayers, I suggest you give it a try (you have to someday, given that you paid for it).

I'm getting back to recking pubs. See you there!

Or parts of you.

10. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Give it more of a chance, play with it more, test out the new things etc. you're just so use' to classics controls beta feels weird and clunky, it is actually pre-decent and faster is better than the slowness you get back over in classic.

Yes, it will feel different, but once you get use to the controls, you will never go back to classic. Steam has come, many servers are full, it's time to go to beta and try it out now!

hierbo and Galabranth like this.
  11. sxj

sxj Catapult Fodder

I can't afford premium because here in mexico its quite hard to get hold of a credit card. I don't see me ever getting hands on premium, so no goodbye to classic.

12. Sarvrin

Sarvrin Catapult Fodder

It is entertaining to see so many tears about the game changing :D Guys give it a hit! It will be great fun as time passes.

Waky and Gurin like this.
  13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I tried replaying classic yesterday. Gave up after 10 minutes. The things that killed it for me were:

Everyone can only jump 3 blocks, eww.
    No walljumping, eww.
    No archer hookshot, eww.
    Archers don't start with 30 arrows, eww.
    There aren't any kegs, eww.

The things I do miss from classic though...
    I miss outposts for cheap, movable spawn points.
    I miss the old "stand here and heal" stations.

That's about it.

Waky and Guitarman like this.
  14. Fucu

Fucu Ballista Bolt Thrower

Slowly making a transition. I'm weening myself off of classic, branding myself whenever I play for extended periods of time. ::P:

On a more serious note, I really do enjoy beta. I've thought about making a retraction for my previous rant, only stopped by pure apathy. Hell, even Vidar is in love with it, someone I thought would go to the grave playing classic.

But I must say...
    You can set that as a server variable, though the amount supplied is limited. That can be changed if someone wanted to raise the amount of starting arrows.

Half true, seeing as only gold servers have them. Seeing as there are no populated gold servers, fair enough.

I actually miss this, even if it's slower. Not that there's a problem with missing faster movement. Perhaps I'm too slow to comprehend the combat. ::P:

As for the others, I agree with you. The grappling hook is pretty damn cool, and it's something that I've accidentally tried to do in classic. Wall running falls with this as well.

I'll get over classic one day, and then return to it with nostalgic respect when I'm feeling genuine or bored.

Galabranth and Gurin like this.
  15. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

I really do enjoy a lot of aspects of kab, but after a month of playing and time to evaluate it, I find I'm just not in love with it at all. I still like it, and it was initially very exciting, but it doesn't hold up for me in the long run.
    Most of the things I loved about alpha no longer exist, sadly, and there are quite a few things I inherently don't like about kab. It's subjective and really not worth getting into anymore so I won't go into specifics.

It's a real good game, just after some time with it I realize its not my flavor.

When it comes down to it, Kab lacks an addictive quality that I found inherent in Classic.

I think I might come back to alpha for a bit, but I ultimately have just fallen off the scene.

It could just mean I'm an old dog ready to retire. Out with the old and in with the new. All good things come to an end.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Celia, Duke2die4, dayleaf and 6 others like this.
  16. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

@Vidar

If you can, hop on with some of my good friends who played Classic for a long time. You will start to notice that not all of the aspects that were in Classic have completely gone away. Sure, on the surface things are different. Classes look different, new things are added, old things are removed, but the general play style remains. Most of my friends and my strategies haven't changed. Sure, they have been adapted to the new movement mechanics, but at the core they remain the same.

People who played Classic almost always play better than those who joined only in Beta.

17. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

You sir, will always remain the best damn knight to play the game. @Vidar

Duke2die4 and Guitarman like this.
  18. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

Look, ultimately we have two choices. Abandon the game, which no one wants to do, (and I'm really only speaking for myself) or try to influence any future gamemodes Beta may offer in an image which would satisfy the old school competitive alpha players.

What I did: I uninstalled Alpha and forced myself to play Beta for a month. I'm not a pro by any means but I have a sense for what might need improvements, and honestly, a lot of things, it does much better. It's a good game that i like, but I want to love it. And I think I can if we give this bitch a makeover. Through modding or better yet, a Gamemode, "Classic CTF".

I wrote a few posts here about the state of competitive KAG in beta.

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/clan-wars-on-beta-competitive-aspect.17224/page-2#post-251014

Please feel free to comment, good or bad, I just want to get some creative discussions going, not a flame war about what version is better.

The important thing is building a future for Beta's competitive leagues. That has to start by looking at what we have so far, and really asking ourselves if it's possible with whats currently offered. If you think current Beta as it is can be exciting, competitive and fair, please explain. I'm trying to get the full picture here.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    LucasTT and Gurin like this.
  19. Almost_Flying_Duck

Almost_Flying_Duck Builder Stabber

Beta is a bit messy on menus/build screen and there is a bit too much debris for my tastes, everything seems so cluttered. And the chat placement, can't even see what I type.

I'll still try to go back to it every now and then though.

20. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

You mean camping out the tickets and tossing bombs at everyone? :p

Ej and Vidar like this.