1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Vote-spamming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Innocence, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Innocence

Innocence Catapult Fodder

Any idea on what to do about people vote-spamming? Yesterday there wasn't a minute without someone voting for new map or vote for kicking someone. Clicking grey boxes got really tiresome :X3:

There was even one person consistently voting to kick a handful of peopl, one by one. Either he was extremely observant, or he was simply abusing the voting system - impossible to tell :bird:

Anyway, something must be done to fix it? How do other games handle this?

How about some +/- reputation or seniority system, where only people of a certain rank could start votes? Well known players are BY FAR less likely to sabotage a game than new ones

2. Boea

Boea Such Beta

This feels like a suggestion.

To be honest, a large issue with this is in the case of people that don't have all these fancy + points, and can't start a vote when they actually need to. [In the extreme, a server of people with zero points]

All things considered, most people are frustrated whenever they are kicked, or the map resets.
    I don't really trust that people will be entirely reasonable when this happens, and they have the power to diminish or strengthen the "prestige" another has.

3. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

@Innocence, feel free to report abuse of that system to server owners, or if it's really bad, post a report in the respective section.

Anyway, yes that's really an issue, I've seen it myself a couple of times too. Someone is like "OMG NEXT MAP PLS I NO PATIENCE" and everyone either just doesn't do anything or votes for "YESPLS". That has already ruined a few fun rounds. :QQ:

hierbo and Klokinator like this.
  4. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Also, as a spumbler, the "Report" Thread requires video proof [since images, and text logs can be doctored], and some other things... Make sure to read the "How to make a Report" Stickied Thread before filing a Report.
    [It is under Help > Report Cheaters/Griefers ]

Alternatively, go onto the official irc channel and invoke the " !guard " command.
    Or take it up with the server owner, or one of the operators [aka mods/admins].

5. Innocence

Problem with this is I'd be using my valuable spare time policing instead of playing :huh?:

I still think some kind of reputation system, while not perfect, would be preferable to the current situation - but if that's a no-no then how about a simple cooldown so people cannot vote again for say 5 minutes if their last vote failed?

6. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

I'd say, give 'em one vote per 100 points of score, as builders amass score quite easily, and they are the ones who notice, as apposed to a griefer, who usually has a negative score.

7. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Votemap needs a warm up and a global cooldown, I'm tried of noobie2573 makinge a vote for a new map as soon as his team looses a nanometer of ground. It would also help to make the percerahe needed to win a nextmap 70/30.

norill likes this.
  8. Solomon-Grundy

Solomon-Grundy Shopkeep Stealer

+1 for the cooldown. I'd take it one step further and only allow one map vote every 5-10 minutes or so... I see a lot of people gang-map-voting all the time.

I feel like map vote is appropriate only when it's really a stalemate and everyone is bored. Right now, it's more when ONE GUY is bored and wants to fuck the game up. Last night, I saw several guys starting map votes while there were still flags being taken! Fortunately, most map votes seem to fail, but when they pass, it really REALLY ruins the experience.

hierbo likes this.
  9. buboe

buboe Builder Stabber

Welcome to my world. :dance:

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I think next map voting should only be allowed at the following times:
    1. Start of a match during build time "Oh god this map sucks, let's go next map"
    2. 30 minutes in or later.
    3. If no flags have been so much as grabbed in the last 30 minutes OR if no team is continuously at the doorstep of another team.

11. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I honestly think that having more KAG Guards actively playing rather than sitting in IRC waiting to be called is important. Cops IRL patrol when there isn't anything else going on and catch bad guys that way. So why not do that?

As for unofficial KAG servers, they just need to hire more mods and admins. Simple as that.

12. Solomon-Grundy

Solomon-Grundy Shopkeep Stealer

I like this. Seems like it would be fairly easy to implement as well. At least if you tied it to flag possession.

13. Innocence

Agreed, this would take care of mapvote spamming. As for vote-kick spamming, at least put in a cooldown between reuses, unless someone has a better idea

14. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I has an idea. If a player spams the vote-kick command and fails at least 3 times. He's kicked for 5 minutes for spam, this all must be done in a 3 minute time limit and done on the same player in those 3 times.

15. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Tbh, if people are abusing nextmap to avoid their team losing, or because they personally have gotten bored (rather than just moving to another server), then I'd encourage server admins to kick the offender after explaining why it's not approprate. We don't need people pulling dick moves like that.

16. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

No need to fear the dreaded, "I'm going to report you!!!" threats, huh? Just explain first then boot them off? Alright, I can do that... :D
    The spam is getting quite irritating.

17. Innocence

I generally find the KAG server admins being very soft comparing to admins of other games. Many years ago when I and some friends ran a very successful Counter Strike server, if a player consistently grieved (teamkilling was often the issue) he'd get a *permanent* ban no questions asked. Simply kicking such people is futile as they'll be online within seconds, running the same crap. In a few weeks teamkilling went from a regular to a very rare occurance.

18. That sort of thing really differs from server to server.

19. WeirdEarb

WeirdEarb Catapult Fodder

You are funny. In RL Cops sleep when there is nothing to do.

20. Innocence

I recon it does. I guess I should ask for server recommendations instead of doing random connects :)