1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Story Post In This Thread Every Day Classic Is Better Than Beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beelzebub, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

"Beta allows people to mod servers!"

>mfw all the best modded servers are still Classic

>mfw Beta has like 4 heavily modded servers

>mfw Classic has the best servers for every comparable game mode

edit: to satisfy certain whiners

>mfw a knight can jump 11 blocks

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    BlueLuigi likes this.
  2. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

And only because of servers, classic is better than beta ? oO

You should make a better constructive thread imo.

Piano likes this.
  3. Beelzebub

"Post in this thread every day Spidey is still a butt"

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

"New" (>1 year old) modding entirely more comprehensive and you are showing a lot of ignorance holding up classic modding as "better" (as is everyone else saying "lol improves modding").

The modding scene has been somewhat slow off the ground, but there are several different implementations of zombies, a few new class mods, several gamemodes and the whole bunnyfection thing; another group of people are working on wide sweeping (questionable, but worth exploring) balance changes.

I'm honestly at a loss wrt why anyone seems to think that classic modding is even worth talking about, and have concluded that they just have no idea what they're talking about - the mod with the deepest changes (imo Strathos's DK mod) was still limited to its own sprites, a specific hardcoded group of object types, and spawning objects at "hardcoded" positions.
    All of those things are still available in the new engine if you want them, but you can also code your own object logic and load your own assets, respond to player chats, write bot AI, script specific events, and even code your own map loaders and gamemodes. The fact that it's more powerful means there's an inherent complexity to some things (ie you have to write some code), but this just means we're not babying modders and instead giving you the same tools we used to make the game.

Hanging onto "ohhoho doing X would be tricky, hohoho" as seems to happen in mumble every second time I join is irrelevant, because doing the same thing in classic would be impossible, and doing a whole host of new things are possible. No, they aren't wrapped in powered sugar with a variable named do_x_fantastic_thing, you need to write that code yourself, but you're actually able to do it.

If you're unhappy with the quality of current modded servers, put some work into actually developing something for the game.

Re: Servers - I see no defecit of sufficiently hosted servers in the new game; while they're still under-administered, I'm sure you're aware that that has always been a problem with classic as well.

5. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

kingofthebrithins and Beelzebub like this.
  6. Beelzebub

Seriouspost: I know Beta hasn't been out long enough for it to develop quite the same (as a hipster would say) scene as Classic, but aside from zombie versions there really haven't been any of the fun, gimmicky mods that keep me logging into Classic showing up in Beta.

Zombies being a mod when it was a feature in Classic is a shame, but modders seem to have done a better job with it than the original, official implementation of zombies (which remains broken and undeveloped for precisely that reason, I suppose, so I guess we can all be thankful the modded servers at least have a semblance of function). Beta does beat Classic if only for the fact that spikes now damage zombies.

Wrt mumble bitching: Everyone on mumble is an assgoblin, so there's your problem right there.

It's not just about the modding, mind you. There's balance issues (walls are mostly useless, for example), and there's the problem with a huge number of what appear to be Steam users being, well, really annoying Steam users. I prefer not to play with the 12-year-olds that infest Team Fortress 2, and I very much believe anyone with a shred of sanity and intelligence shares that opinion. Add to that the difficulty with votekicking ("oh hey there unbannable cockbag using Steam"), the absence of little icons telling you how many autistic builder sperglords are sitting in the back playing sandcastles by themselves wasting slots on your team instead of cutting themselves like they really should be doing, and as you said the lack of Action Server-quality administrators on many (read: all) of the populated servers, and you can start to see why people would prefer Classic over beta.

I'll see what I can do about starting up my own server exclusively as a wretched hive of scum and villainy (something something money where my mouth is something something), but I'm terrible at coding and short on time and money.

Geti, for the love of god stop taking my threads seriously

Froghead48 and PinXviiN like this.
  7. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Your thread title was wrong.

ftfy :teabag:

kingofthebrithins likes this.
  8. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Denied
    HaruhiSuzumiya.jpg

9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: steam banning - normal serverside bans still work if there's an admin or guard present, fwiw. I understand that that's a pretty big "if" though, and the user flags solution to this has been subject to more delays than I'd like.

Re: class icons - I'll see what I can do about this, it seems like such hilariously minor functionality but I guess it makes a difference when minecrafters are accounted for (and is surely useful re: griefing).

Re: hosting - afaik you can get a box capable of hosting a handful of "normal" kag servers or one 32p (remember hosting requirements increase polynomially with player count) for about 15 bucks a month in the US. I guess if money is seriously tight that could be an issue but it's like, the cost of eating out (stingily) once a month.
    There's not much coding involved in setting up a server, just a bit of typing stuff into a command line and there's "walkthroughs" on kagwiki for getting off the ground.
    Short on time is the biggest factor, I'm sure you could trick some of the shark guys into helping out there though if you're interested in putting together something action class. Fwiw I think they have a server that's mostly idle anyway, not sure what's going on there.

Re: serious - it's a touchy subject for me :^)

10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

>mfw tables rused Geti hard

Legendary thread, posting in it.

e:Damn where you get hosting for that price :^)

e2) Damn, now I want to host if it's that cheap, reminds me of the days where there was one host and it was actually cheap ;_;

11. Beelzebub

It's actually very useful. It allows you to see both of those things you mentioned, and also if your team has an overabundance or underabundance of a particular class.

"Everyone is a knight and we need a builder right now. Tits!" or "We have like 7 archers, 1 knight, and 3 builders" is really handy to know, because it allows teams to have more balanced compositions.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Guitarman like this.
  12. Kouji

This is what Arcrave is currently using: https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtual-dedicated-server.php (Linux single core option). Only 10 bucks so it's not that bad.

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

::(:

I'd point out how callous and unfeeling that was, but we both know that repeatedly disabusing me of any notion of power is the reason you wake up in the morning. :heart:

all things considered, it's a good thing that Verra loves me, or I prolly wouldn't get any

14. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

It allows the other team to cricri about how many archers the other team has?

FAITH likes this.
  15. Beelzebub

Never not post.

16. Kouji

So Monday, Beta was better than Classic?

17. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Marginally so, but our date tracker Jim is now fired, open position.

18. FuzzyBlueBaron

I'd apply, but I just accepted a position as executive chef in Fellere's up and coming restaurant.

jackitch, hierbo and BlueLuigi like this.
  19. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Why not.

20. Beelzebub

Correct.

Ko-wrekt
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 19, 2013, Original Post Date: Dec 19, 2013 ---
    Posting in this thread again because kegs are still too cheap, upward shielding knights are invincible against arrows, anyone can jump over an 8-high wall, and chickens fucking suck marinated sheep asshole.

16th likes this.