1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Knight Changes General (ignore the op)

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Duplolas, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It's already implemented in the Fortress mod server actually. (I think knights still have 4 HP actually but w/e)

2. crackwise

crackwise Shipwright

Great idea!!!

3. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

You can climb over a ten high wall with single slash as well. You single slash jump onto the wall, wall run as far as you can, then glide. You will get over.

no, single slash is faster.

Even though you got two of your facts wrong, I kinda agree with you. kinda.

It annoys me that a knight can get over a ten block wall, then attack any person standing on top almost instantly.

epenow likes this.
  4. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

This would make it harder for Archers to kill knights too... It would somewhat be the same as before, just, for longer.

epenow likes this.
  5. Sponncx

Sponncx Builder Stabber

Could you add a poll to this post?

6. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I have always double slashed when climbing and swimming @steve_jobs I'll have to do a recording for myself.

@Sponncx

I am afraid not. An admin may be able to do it.

7. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Single slash is what I use to kill non-knight classes. It is very quick, and is all you need. Double slash is perfectly good for taking out a shielding knight, at the cost of prolonged exposure. It is perfectly balanced, and intended for knight combat. The knight should be strong against other classes, because other classes aren't supposed to get into situations where a knight can attack them.
    Honestly, when archers and builders are in range, they just feel like coin drops or pickups, as they should.

As for swimming, single slash is MUCH faster, again because it charges so quickly. If you time it with the natural frequency of buoyant oscillations, you can bounce the seas.

Kouji, Guitarman and Knighthart like this.
  8. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

[​IMG]

9. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

A well timed double slash is the best way for a knight to quickly take out another knight. Do you have any idea how long 2 good knights would stalemate in combat if neither one could get the upper hand? Matches would last forever if knights can't take each other out easily. As said before, double slash is really only useful in knight vs knight combat, not giving them a distinct advantage over the other classes, but making knight combat not long and drawn out is a good thing.
    Also, about this slash jumping argument, has anyone heard of an overhang before? It stops slash jumping REALLY well.

PumpkingSlice likes this.
  10. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

This thread could be summed up by saying:
    "Waah, I'm bad."

EDIT:
    GIVE ME A DISLIKE BUTTON SO I CAN THUMB THIS TO HELL

11. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

Would make knight combat dull, single slash spammers are scum.
    Bad idea.

Invaders likes this.
  12. Arcrave

Arcrave http://tinyurl.com/ArcravesTheme Tester

[​IMG]

Piano, PumpkingSlice, JoshTG and 3 others like this.
  13. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester

[​IMG]

Apronymous likes this.
  14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

[​IMG]

vik, PumpkingSlice and Kouji like this.
  15. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I'm not sure what this indicates, but I agree.

Guitarman and hierbo like this.
  16. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

can someone tell me what "OP" means? i hate when every body uses abbreviations. the most of them dont appears on google.

17. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

^Original Poster.

Do what you want. You're free to hold your incorrect opinion if you wish.

To be fair though, the exact same result could be achieved by nerfing slash dmg to 1.5, and double slash would thereby be nerfed to 3 dmg.

bru-jaz likes this.
  18. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester

[​IMG]

19. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Only read the OP and skimmed the not-too-long posts of this thread so not much to say besides two things.

I would be interested in seeing how this plays out on a server and would be glad to accept an invite to test, if anything it would make for a nice addition to a modded game mode for sure! I have to admit though the double slash does seem easy to pull off, and in some parts of combat isn't even needed, but eh, those are just my thoughts on it.
    Either way, am curious and interested, would gladly test.

The other thing I have to say is...this thread seriously shows off the pure "quality" of the more core part of the community...

bobotype likes this.
  20. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I don't think removing the double slash will do anything to achieve your desired result.

As mentioned above, the second slash in the series doesn't get you significantly more height, and will allow you to get maybe a single tile higher up a vertical wall, which really is a trifling amount.

Also, double slashing to gain speed in water is less effective than repeatedly single slashing, because you can single slash more than twice as often as you can double slash in any given time period.

It will not make the other classes more survivable vs. knights, because the archer dies to a single slash, and the builder dies to a single slash + jab, which is faster than charging a double slash.

It may prolong single knight vs. knight encounters, but will only serve to make knight duels more tedious, as it will become easy for a less skilled player to block indefinitely with virtually no chance of taking damage.

Don't get me wrong; I do believe there are significant balance issues to be addressed in some places, but I simply don't see how this particular change would help that.

Fortunately for you, if you still feel it is a good idea, all you need is a small group of people to agree to test with you by never actually doing a double slash, and you'll see the outcome.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Guitarman, steve_jobs and Crabmaster like this.