1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Knight Changes General (ignore the op)

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Duplolas, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It's worth noting that any extra distance you can gain while slash climbing a wall is dwarved by the amount of distance you can climb with the shield-climbing... glitch. I'm not sure if it's a glitch but it feels like one.

Also I totally could have made that climb and three times higher if I weren't using a touchpad.

2. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

There's already multiple threads available for boasting, man.

Fellere825 and Knighthart like this.
  3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well people are bitching about slash climbing walls, so I felt the need to point out this technique dwarves slash-climbing immensely.

4. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

And both of those are dwarved by far by single, double, and triple bomb jumping.

Hight wise I do not feel double slash is an actual problem when it comes to knight mobility...as it is unreliable.

It is not nearly as bad as the mobility of an archer being chased by a knight while in water with no overhangs...doubleslash swimming op. :rekt:

Since my last post I was thinking more on the dynamic of double slash. And really I don't think I would care either way if it were removed or not(Does this mean I side with whoever is the majority?). Sure on one side it would be confusing to get used to but on the other side it is one of the things that murders me and my unstable internet(found out my company "revs" the signal to get lower paying customers to upgrade). Doubleslash is kinda the most teleport-y move in the game, but that is more of an issue of rendering than the slash itself.

Of course, issues like this from a lower class person such as myself aren't really much to act on while balancing. Fast online gaming is more for the wealthy or the not-so-wealthy who can still sink most of their money into making it actually work for them(sadly I am neither).:noburu:

5. PumpkingSlice

PumpkingSlice Base Burner

If you're using double slash as a means of traversing and area, then you should feel ashamed of yourself.

But back onto double slash being "op"......it's not "op" or "unbalanced". Why you may ask? Because jab spams. Any(majority) pro knight will tell you straight that jab spams are the most, or there about, op attack in game, couped up with ping differences, it's the real killer.

Either way, what do we learn for everything that's op? Find a way to counteract it. If you're getting hit by double slashes as an archer in any environment, then clearly you're not using your grappling hook properly. If you're getting hit by it as a builder, then you're either silly for going out alone, or your team is not reliable enough (if you're going out alone as a builder then you should just smack yourself across the face right now). Being hit in open water, with not much around you to "manipulate" a retreat with isn't something that can really be changed, you just have to deal with that.

But just like to add this here. If you remove double slash, the archer will become op with triple bomb arrow mayhem, followed by water fun time. Thus that will lead to people complaining about archers being "op". (Like archer's don't get enough complaints). All in all it will eventually lead to builders becoming the master race, because we all know brute force is master race. (Muscle wizards will be very happy)

Nothing within reason in the game is "op" (apart from bugs, they can poison you). There is always a path or solution to it. If you can't find it then you should probably stop using a drill to obtain stone in building time.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    BlueLuigi likes this.
  6. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

>Ask any Good Knight, Jab Spams are OP
    > Good Knight, Jab Spams are OP
    >Good Knight
    >Jab Spam OP
    >Good
    >Jab OP
    [​IMG]
    I'm honestly am hoping you are joking and aren't actually this retarded. If jab spam was really as op as you say, then why do even semi-competent Knights use slashes over jabs? Jabs are really only useful for breaking wood and digging, maybe trying to take out someone with only one heart (who can't shield) and possibly someone trying to double slash (don't really play knight enough to know about that one). It's obvious when someone is spamming jabs, all you need to do in that case is just shield. Anyways, if jabs were op, and shields stops jabs, then obviously Shields are the most op thing ever.

As far as how to deal with op things: No you do not just leave them OP. What you do instead is suggest a couple of changes, test them out and then see if it's more balanced. If it is, then it gets implemented, if not, then repeat until you find something that is more balanced. You don't simply just:
    >Double Slash protects you from bomb arrows and water spam
    >Removing Double Slash will make Archers OP
    [​IMG]
    No, I take my previous statement back, either you aren't playing KAG or you are actually retarded.
    1.) In what possible way could using double slash protect you from bomb arrows? If anything it'd just kill you cause you aren't blocking the attack. Shield is the better option.
    2.) In what possible way could using double slash protect you from water ammo?
    3.) How will archers be op when no one double slashes against archer? What exactly would change? Oh now that I can't charge for 2 seconds to do some attack that is complete overkill against some squishy class that can just shoot me while I'm charging and then run away, that squishy class will some how get stronger.

Double slash is not op but neither is jab spam, and you should feel bad for such a terrible argument.

this thread is growing more retarded over time

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Invaders, Piano, Klokinator and 3 others like this.
  7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

>Not closing your quote tags

GG

Also yeah, I've rarely seen jabs actually worth a crap, but I'm still pretty shit, I do find that the only time I usually jab is if there's an opening and I know they're almost dead or if it's right after a slash and enough to kill em.

8. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

[Off Topic]
    Once I was in an enemy hall, and to kill the guy inside, I shield bashed, then in the stun, jabbed him. Repeat. It actually worked surprisingly well, even if it took ages. Slashes aren't the best thing to use in a small area.

anyway, I think we should just leave knight combat as it is. Double slash is essential for killing turtles.

9. PumpkingSlice

PumpkingSlice Base Burner

I'm more retarded then you'll ever know.

10. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

jab spam is pretty effective when you're in a tight space where it's impossible to tell what's going on due to sprite density, which often happens due to the clutter of beta. It's technically easy to shield against if you can see it, but if you don't you die incredibly quickly.

11. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Please, please go away, do us all the favor.
    Also, I think I should point out the in a way the game was balanced around slashing & double slashing, because knights are in a way the workforce of a team, because you will never get a rush or attack going without them, so you're kind of changing not just a piece of the formula, but the entire meta, which is a big no-no.
    Also, I don't know if I stand alone here, but I would actually never touch this game again if they did any of the changes in this thread, every one of them is bad and meta and balance destroying.

EDIT:
    Now this is a beatdown
    "OMG A FEATURE IS BUGGED REMOVE IT OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!11111!!!!"

Knighthart and BlueLuigi like this.
  12. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

The real question you should ask yourself is.. why in the world can we on demand, do double slashes? I liked having to get in one power-slash before being able to put in another. Almost every other melee-centric game requires you to at least get in one hit before you begin a combo.

13. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Double Slash is basically like one of those heavy attacks that takes a while to charge, and can't be stopped once it's started, and can also be used to set up for an even longer combo.

14. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'm not sure if you know what a beatdown means. If it means in your mind misrepresenting what I said as "I dislike this feature" when I was only pointing out the amount of climbing it has over slash climbing and never once uttered an opinion negative or positive about it, then I know you have the wrong definition of beatdown.

Good day.

15. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Okay, after this, I'm done being a keyboard warrior, at least for tonight.
    I called that a beat-down, because I've quoted you 3 times today, every one of them ripping your post apart for having an idea that I did not like. I also said that you were whining about a bugged feature because you posted a video of yourself 'breaking' KAG by using a slash to abuse the shield-wall glitch, which, I'd like to point out works kind of at random.

16. Boxpipe

That's true, heavy attacks are generally unstoppable. However, with a double slash - which is really two consecutive heavy, it causes the players to enter a state with a considerably long time frame where he can deal a large amount of damage.

If we look at a game with a really well defined melee system like Chivalry Medieval Warfare, a heavy attack takes a long time to prepare, but the time frame in which the opposing player may take damage is the same as a light attack. The preps times and recovery times may change, however, the damage dealing time frame doesn't. With a double slash on demand, players can enter a deal damage state and stay in it for a long time at will.

The power slash alone guarantees you deal at least one heart of damage to your opponent, I always saw the double power slash on demand, as a unskilled man's crutch. Classic players had no such luxury and had to more skillfully get in a power-slash to get off that second consecutive power-slash.

TL;DR: Players can enter a deal damage state and stay in it for a long time at will, heavy attacks shouldn't have longer damage dealing time frames to make them "heavy" tier.

Edit: Klokinator is just a troll and you probably shouldn't listen to him or his opinions. After having tried such a miracle method, I have experienced an increased length of least 6 inches in this past month alone!

17. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

@Boxpipe
    Its not hard to dodge a double slash, and it gets you way more kills to dodge than to be a berserker. Also, 'single, female, lawyer', 'I have experienced an increased length of least 6 inches in this past month alone!' o.o

18. Boxpipe

Oh don't get me wrong they aren't hard to dodge, however, it does make it easier to cleave more players with and catch those are rather unfortunate to spawn on the battlefield without a shield.

19. vik

vik THD Team THD Team Tester

I can't believe we are having this conversation

20. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Good idea but also remove the bow from archer and remove doors from builder please.

RadioActive and Sir_Walter like this.