1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What's the point of shielding...

Discussion in 'Knight' started by SpitfireXero, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

You don't know what a support class is. Look at TF2. The Medic is a support class, but having a single Medic on a team of 10 can be a gamechanger.
    Just like in KAG, a skilled archer can be a gamechanger against masses of knights storming a castle or against masses of archers/knights/builders defending a castle.

2. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

In build 90, archer became a pure support class. Nobody played it. It was near-impossible to make any impact (not to be mistaken with K/D ratio), you were better off being knight in almost every situation. The next build made archers killers again. I don't think this disscussion will produce any result. It's a matter of two different approaches to gameplay design, both are good. But, recalling MM's interview, I think it's already decided.

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I have had this happen to me over 10 times today, and I just said fuck it and stopped playing knight because it was so damn pointless.

4. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I agree with that, though it mostly happens to me midair. Probably due to lag. Try finding a server with less players and closer to your location (and a better server in general) even then, I get this problem.

5. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

It's important to know that if you shield at the last moment, you WILL get damaged, even if the arrow hits the shield (ring sound and sparks). It's lag, you have to shield in advance. Actually, if you time it perfectly, you can shield *before* you get hit and release the block when the arrow hits. No damage. I thought it's not so hard to figure out, but I see lots of people raging about this. Believe me, shooting a moving target with lag is hard enough to make it even.

6. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Lag was "fixed" remember? So my "theory" is that the arrows have an impact triggered explosive. It impacts the knights shield and the shaped explosive charge penetrates the armor. The kinetic energy produced by the explosion will push the arrow head past the shield causing damage. It's extremely modern stuff.

This is of course a really bad sarcastic side remark.

Cagar likes this.
  7. TRagePawz

TRagePawz Shipwright

It can be good and bad i suppose

8. Pizza

Pizza Ballista Bolt Thrower

Bump, i think shields are really usefull. You can use them against arrows, but also against stabbing knights. My shield saved my life multiple times.

9. MacD

MacD Shark Slayer

After reading this whole topic, I'd forgot that it was about shielding until reading your post. It seems to have degraded into a debate about the role of archers.

10. Pizza

Pizza Ballista Bolt Thrower

Haha, that's true. But i wanted to point out that shields are not useless in my opinion. When you cant avoid an enemy knights swing you can at least block it for less damage, and when you are being stabbed (so you cant move your character since hes stunned) a shield can be a life saver too.

11. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

The shield is great now that you can glide :3

12. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

This thread is still alive?

Noburu likes this.
  13. NigerV2

NigerV2 Shopkeep Stealer

Archer is so...not fun .Why all fun get knight?
    About shield - its awesome

Contrary likes this.
  14. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Shield is teh beeest!
    Also, Archer is way fun!

15. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

The problem mentioned by the OP is still persistent. If I'm cornered, I am going to die.

16. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Certainly the chances of escape are less, but there's still a decent survival rate, at least on my part.

17. Neat

Here comes the suitability of a shield ram technique, would push your opponent back after you shield for a certain amount of time. Meaning they shouldn't just jab spam you in a corner.

Wonkyth likes this.
  18. Trae

Trae Shopkeep Stealer

All nerfs to mindless jabbing is appreciated, even if i myself employ that feature. Make ram, Geit and MM!
    To balance it, you shouldnt be able to shield forever, either.

19. Neat

Or, just make it so you're slightly vulnerable after the ram itself, so if people anticipate it, they could jump back then jump forward and stab you.

20. Trae

Trae Shopkeep Stealer

Quite a good idea, im all for more play in the kinda stale knight combat, this will create more counters, and counters to the counters, which is nice. (i like more stuff to do)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.