1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[926] CQC Defense?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by TheChosenOne2000, Oct 30, 2013.

?

Agree

1. YAH

34.5%
  2. NAH

65.5%
  1. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

I think what really burns archers in CQC is having 2 hearts. Going down to a single slash means I cant grapple away from a decent knight. Given that I need to have precise timing to be able to harass and damage knights, going down to 1 slash because of a single misstep or lag is just punishing to archers.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  2. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

^ Agree. I'd be much more viable as an archer if i could eat a single lucky slash and not immediately die.

Anyway, some CQC tactics for you:

Knight tries to slash spam at you
    -Wait until he's in the charging or recovery phase of slash, get up close, arrow stun him, then grapple back to safe distance, repeat.

(Attempting to shoot him during the swing animation will likely just get your arrow cut, and get you killed)

Knight tries to turtle until in range
    -Charge legolas shot, get close, break shield and deal 2 hearts, grapple away. If he sees you charging and tries to slash/rush, do above instead.

You are on a wall, a knight is below, slashing at your doors or otherwise derping against the wall
    -Charge a triple, jump on his head and fire away, if he wasn't blocking and you hit all your shots, this can result in an instant 4 hearts of damage, killing the knight.

An enemy is close to you, you don't have the time to charge a shot, but can get above them easily
    -Get above them, use your grappling hook on the ground and stomp them. From here, you can attempt to bounce up and repeat the grapple stomp, or fire a quarter charge arrow and grapple away

(Remember! You can start charging a shot the instant after firing your grappling hook, so you would likely have that quarter charge ready the moment you stomp)

A bomb is being thrown at you
    -Either grapple away as fast as humanly possible, or wait for the precise moment to shoot it out of the air. This takes low latency, and a lot of good timing/skill, but is possible. You might even knock it behind him and get a really hilarious kill. Also; sometimes grappling toward and past the knight may make him miss the throw.

-If you're suicidal, an arrow stun at the right time may just kill you both.

A builder is rushing you
    -If in an enclosed space, but height advantage is possible, you can continually grapple stomp him while firing quarter shot arrows, this would result in a 2stomp/2shot kill.

-If not in an enclosed space, grapple to make a bit of distance, and arrowstun him until dead.

Another archer is attempting to CQC with you
    -All i can say is to use these tactics better than he does, aim better than he does, and if you can grapple better than he does, stomp him in the face!

Knight is climbing/bombjumping and will be next to you shortly
    -If you can't interrupt the bombjump (see below), get in his face and stun him off the building, might even get some fall damage out of it.

Some non-CQC, but useful methods for you:

Knight is attempting to bombjump, you have some sort of height advantage
    -Wait for the moment that the bomb is about to explode, fire an arrow so it hits him as he is about to jump. If done correctly, it will almost completely negate the momentum the bomb would have given him, regardless of range.

^Attempting this from same elevation won't do much, attempting it from below will likely HELP them.

(i should make my own archer basics post with this stuff haha!)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Kramgnauh, BlueLuigi and Galabranth like this.
  3. I just feel like if they can play dead, hide in trees, and hide in bushes they should have something to use it with. They should be able to do some sort of assassination, which is why I loved the shiv and always worked to make it useful.

4. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Assasination would be good.

5. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

pls no

I really think you are pretty much the only player left that loves the knife. It was so horribad. The backstabs were random instakills that casued archers to jump around knights and jab randomly hoping to hit the weird backstab area.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  6. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

>backstabs in 2d multiplayer game

>latency

>lolno.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  7. You all are absoulutely correct, its terrible and im the only one who loved it....but it was SO rewarding getting a kill with it!

8. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

COUGH COUGH not the only one.
    I LOVED knives

9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I'm not sure that you should be proud of that, either way, if you want it back in, attempt to mod it back in, as there is almost no way in hell something removed will make it back, not something like that, the way it was at least.

10. I dont really care if it comes back, i just want SOMETHING. It dosent even have to be deadly, it could slow them so you can get easy shots(checkout the caltrops thread) OR you make the knife the SPACE button on archers, nothing is there right now.

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Mod it in-> Have fun on your server that has it

\o/ Huzzah.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  12. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Conversation over