1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Ticket CTF and TTH

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Duplolas, Jan 9, 2014.

?

Should the Game Modes of Ticket CTF and TTH be Added?

1. Yes

85.4%
  2. No

14.6%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Yes there was a thread that proposed the idea of creating a hybrid between Classic and Current, but not one specifically about creating a seperate, CTF and TTH Ticket Gamemode, where everything is the same, except the ticket system is re-implemented.

A lot of players loved and hated the way the ticket system would work. It would of course lead to less stalemates in Classic, but people would turtle in their base. Though, for every annoying end game turtle-off, there would be a time where an epic last stand would occur, where players would hold off into their base till the very end and clutch it for their team. It was always an incredible sight to see.

Though, with the current build, the turtleing that would occur in Classic really can't happen and heres why.

In TTH once a team runs out of lives the other team gets to keep all of their bases and all of the workshops that come with them. It is only a matter of time until enough kegs, ballistas, catapults, and bomb just blow the last base and its inhabitants to smithereens! YEEEEE HAWWWW! Excuse me for that outburst.

In CTF, it will be the same as with TTH, except yes, since there are less explosives and sieges able to be used, the games would take a bit longer, except that in Current, buildings are not as tall and large as they were in Classic. If you remember the large skyscrapers and spike pits that were 30 or so blocks long that were in Classic, you would know that those could no longer be possible to build in Current.

As for how easy it would be to implement these gamemodes, well, I would assume it would be pretty damn easy. This is also a suggestion that doesn't make one class more op than the other or completely change how the current game is played. Mainly because these will be SEPARATE GAME MODES! No harm can come from adding new features that are seperate from the base game. If you don't like playing it with tickets, you just don't play it. Meanwhile, all of the players who loved it from Classic get to play these awesome gamemodes. CTF being brought back and TTH getting a new revamp.

So what do you all think?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Almost all of these suggestions you are making are well and dandy, but they aren't really suggestions, we've all thought of them at some point, they haven't happened because no one has cared enough to make a server with them.

The end result to have a gamemode is to have someone host it. There are 2 options for that:
    1)Somehow the devs find it good enough that they want to host an official one or test things on it (very unlikely)
    2)Someone feels like hosting a server for it enough, and does

Most of the things you've proposed don't take so much work that the person putting it up can't just do so. If you're not going to host them yourself, you should just try and find someone who will host it for you, but continually posting them in suggestions won't do much except get the topics debated over and over again until they're drilled into the ground.

Again, they're not usually terrible ideas you have, but the main problem with them is that they are small changes that all they need is actual field testing, which if you want done you'd have to host, or convince someone to do so. Hosting a 16man server is not that bad, you can probably do it for under $10/mo, which is 2-4 lunches of ramen instead of mcdonalds or something (or if you're min wage here in USA, about 1 hour of work)

Yagger, I3lue and Hella like this.
  3. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Looks fun- I never actually played with tickets (I'm a "steam noob") so I would love to play these gamemodes.

J-man2003 likes this.
  4. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

To be honest, If you give players the options of unlimited lives over tickets, The community will probably take it very well, and all the steamers will probably like it.

The only problem with tickets in classic was people camping, minecrafting, and saving up their coins to camp some more during the end when tickets have run out and no one else can spawn. Since builders can't get as much money anymore this really isn't an issue. Also, it's a lot harder to camp in KAG now than it was in classic.

Someone needs to get this tested and given to the devs. This really should be a gamemode on top of the unlimited respawn TTH and CTF.

5. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I will totally host such a thing. I am in favor of testing new ideas, as I am on the camp that believes that everything is not perfect, but with some degree of tweaking, can be made great without overhauling everything. Again, the problem of modded servers getting lower traffic may rear its head, but I think there is not much more that can be done about that than already has.

I am not sure that going back to straight tickets is the way to go, but I am willing to try it. I think that a good implementation could be to put the team tickets as an integer value in autoconfig.cfg. If the value is set to some positive integer, like 30, each team would get 30 tickets/respawns. If the value is set to 0, there are 0 respawns allowed, and if set to -1, tickets are disabled and there are infinite respawns, like now. This way, it would not necessarily need to be a whole other game mode in order to make tickets work.

J-man2003, Gurin, Hella and 1 other person like this.
  6. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Simple idea that could be implanted, but its up server owners like blueluigi said. From previous experience, many KAG players aren't amazing and will end up wasting your team's ticket, then the game goes on forever between a few people too wimpy to finish the game. Although this might not be the case in KAG now since the game is more fast paced.

Why is the poll vote visible to the public? I don't see how that will benefit this thread.

7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

1. If people could see modded and regular servers by default this would give modded servers more visibility.
    2. If modded, default, and Official servers had different colors for their titles to distinguish them, this would also make modded servers stand out more.

These two things would help tremendously.

hierbo, BlueLuigi and Sir_Walter like this.
  8. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Idk. Didn't exactly know what it meant and wanted to see. Not a big deal IMO.

What would be a good idea is if we recorded some test games. Ones that are simulated to see the average number of deaths each team will use before the game ends/gets boring.

We could even use the results from the current community tournament. The ratio of knights to archers to builders in any regular game is likely close to 3:1:1 which is the current set up of the tournament if I am not mistaken. Because there are 5 players on each team, 10 players total, we can use it as a base test.

Take the average deaths of each team, set the ticket limit to a small amount above that, and then modify this amount according to the max number of players on each server.

So if the average number of deaths per a 5 player team, 10 players total, was say, 100, a 10 player team, 20 players total game would have its tickets set to 200.

Thoughts?

9. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

It is harder to camp yes and righfully so, but the part about builders being inefficient money farmers is gibberish. Construct a saw farm and then spam endless wood platforms or workshops, you'll earn 1000s of coins in no time lol.

I3lue likes this.
  10. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The owner of Black Death servers had a ticketed CTF with custom maps for more than a week and nobody played it... prolly because the name of it was slightly different. I'd like to play a couple of rounds with tickets, then we could talk more about it.

11. Leo

Leo Haxor

I had a "Tickets CTF" running for days and nobody ever joined. Modded servers should be visible by default.

hierbo, vik, Klokinator and 1 other person like this.
  12. BlueLuigi

For your perusal, I have created: [!] TTH | Tickets server.

If you want to see anything changed, just make a server thread for it or PM me, so we do not further derail this topic.

This can serve (if no one else is going to make one) as a good way to get some feedback.

Having issues with the setup, but I'll hopefully have it working with the tickets soon.

hierbo, Auburn, Kouji and 3 others like this.
  13. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

For the TTH, how about putting the tickets you gain from capturing a base on a timer. After a team hold a base for 5 minutes after the initial capture, you can re capture and get additional tickets.

14. BlueLuigi

I can probably set this to happen, I'll look into it this weekend, but honestly I've got my own plans for looking into some stuff for another server I'm planning, so it might not happen, but if anyone does this I'll put it up, no problem.

Changes I made: Minimum Lives = 40, LivesPerPerson = 10, LivesPerCapture = 2
    Timer removed. (Was not a fan of it, I believe we all agreed it didn't work as we'd like it)

15. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

So much off topic in the 4 hours I haven't checked this thread. As Blue basically said above, this is for discussing the ideas of adding Tickets to the CTF and TTH gamemodes, not what they should be ___A____ called. Posts deleted, and gave out a few warnings. Klok got auto-temp banned again for being ___B___ and off-topic for the 5th time in a row.

Since we now have a server for testing this, you can use this thread to discuss what sort of settings may or may not work since I'd say it's pretty relevant to how the default game mode should be set (since it's also part of the op of including a default). So stay on topic or I'll get pissed, ____C____, and ____D____ you while giving you a warning.

A: insert one of your favorite swears that ends in -ing here
    B: adjective for a person
    C: verb in present tense
    D: another verb in present tense
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't actually fill those in in a post when you reply cause it'll be off-topic. If you really want to, post on my profile and we can see who's the best or something.
    tl;dr
    Either way, just stick to what is good/bad about it and discuss possible changes for dealing with issues you see. If you think the game mode doesn't work in general or disagree with someone else's suggested change/solution then state WHY, don't just say "I disagree with that because that makes builders op". Why are they OP? If you can't explain your argument, then don't post.

Sir_Walter and BlueLuigi like this.
  16. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Their could be another game mode similar to 'war'.
    Which works by bases generating tickets.

bobotype likes this.
  17. rymcd

rymcd Bison Rider Staff Alumni Tester

The clan I'm in is interested in hosting a ticket mod server. We're currently looking to get the mod from someone. If you can help please message me.

pearlsncurls likes this.
  18. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Well I know @BlueLuigi briefly hosted a ticket server. You could ask him, if he doesn't mind.

rymcd likes this.
  19. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

BlueLuigi doesn't really use the forums anymore.

I "worked" with him on the idea of implementing this. He created a fully working mod for a server in about 2 hours. When we talked I think I remembered him saying he used some of the old stuff from Classic and just kinda imported it over with some changes.

Hope that helps at all.

20. rymcd

rymcd Bison Rider Staff Alumni Tester

Thanks man, I sent BlueLuigi and Leo a message about the mod they used. Hopefully one of them can share otherwise we might have to attempt making it ourselves.:rekt:

Mods: Rainbows