1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why you don't lock the slots developers ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Leo, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Leo

Leo Haxor

I see this moment someone trying to host a 100 slots server... I mean wtf... even at kag's main page you clearly state that "32 player realtime multiplayer". Do you want really people to join such servers ? I know that server owners will finally understand that it is not possible to host a kag server with so many slots but why you don't save people from trouble and just hard lock the slots ?

2. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I don't speak for the dev team, but I believe that the reason they don't do that is because the number of slots you can host depends on the power of the server and client machines, as well as the network connections of each.

I think of it as similar to the way that many AAA games allow you to set your graphics settings in excess of what any modern PC is capable of, so that it can still improve after development is stopped, but newer hardware becomes available.

Sure, there's a point after which even a co-located mainframe couldn't host, but I think just putting a recommendation against hosting a huge server into the appropriate comment line in the autoconfig file is adequate warning.

It is quite common for dedicated server software to be less user-friendly and polished, leaving the onus on the hoster to figure out what parameters to set.

3. Leo

Leo Haxor

Nah, there is absolutely no way to host a lag-free 100 slots kag game. Slots
    KAG server is not multi-thread currently. No machine can handle so many players. If I am a new player and join a server with 50 players the amount of lag will make me quit and never look back.

4. Chaosed0

Chaosed0 Catapult Fodder

What about the other way? There are servers that can host 32 players, which some people like. There are also servers that can only host 20, 16, or even only 8 slots. A compromise could be to set the max to 32, which I probably wouldn't mind. Still, if people want to host/play on huge servers with lag, they have that option right now.

As a sidenote, I'm fairly sure that auto-join (where you hit a gamemode in the menu, rather than browse servers) automatically balances people across servers such that servers that are laggy don't get more people, making the extra slots near-useless anyway. Devs can correct me on that - that's based on empirical evidence.

5. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

What about the massive alpha non gold servers that had 50+ players?

Noburu and BlueLuigi like this.
  6. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Its player freedom, that is a good thing.

7. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

As far as I know, they were referring to the official servers with that line.

PumpkingSlice likes this.
  8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

And we also said that in Classic. and yet it happened a few times towards the end with very little lag having tons of players.

Even then, it might eventually be fixed (doubtful as all fuck), or in the future if you decide to play 20 years downt he line, assuming PCs would still be compatible, a server at that point and your average PC might be able to indeed run it at 32+ players (64, 100, etc).

Less rules in this type of sense is never a bad thing, there are notes in the guide during setup of the server and elsewhere that you will require more and more resources the higher you go and that 16 is for a decent machine, 32 for a pretty good one. If you're hosting you should be reading that, so there is no problem. You should also not be so stupid as to think that just because a number can go high that you can handle it, which is another thing that as a hoster you should be able to figure out without too much of a problem.

hierbo likes this.
  9. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

They were talking about what is officially supported.
    ie if servers with 100 players keep crashing the vps so you need to restart it, the devs won't do anything because it's unsupported because it may give problems.

10. Leo

Leo Haxor

My point is that currently it's not possible to host more than 32 slots with no lag. Maps are small and it's chaotic and laggy. I think that games much older than KAG, let's say TF2, and with a huge player base have the slots locked up. Probably they know what they're doing. Anyway, that's only my humble opinion. The developers decide.

crackwise likes this.
  11. BlueLuigi

Again, no, and they did decide. Their decision was the correct one, give the power to the players to decide, and simply HINT that you shouldn't go over a certain point.

If you don't want to don't, if you do, do it, but don't bitch when it doesn't work as you expected. Simple as that.

It works the same as owning a cat, if you don't want to own one, don't, but don't start bitching it should be restricted.

12. Leo

Leo Haxor

We have a different approach in the matter. I think giving too much freedom to people will make them do stupid things, you think that they'll do the right one. I don't have anything else to say about that. :wink:

13. Devs already strongly recommend no more than 32 players, as beyond that it's theoretically capable but unsupported (and more unstable beyond this point.) People are free to have more than that, but the server will be less stable. Doesn't matter, it's not really for anyone to decide. A lot of games say "this is the supported max, more than that is possibly unstable, but you can still do it". An example would be TF2 - they're designed for 24 players max, but the servers are able to cope with up to 100.

14. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Actually, the slots aren't locked, TF2 is just really shit and won't display or let anyone join anything above 32 players.

15. BlueLuigi

It doesn't matter if they do the right or wrong one, if they do that is their problem.

Your dumb idea of restricting freedom is exactly the reason why classic had to swap to KAG, because restricting freedom for so long meant that everytime someone wanted something they'd have to ask Geti/MM to do it instead of being able to themselves. Now people can do it themselves, and that's a huge change so we see things like Aphelion's servers, FunCTF, tons of shit Arcrave's working on that's done but he's too lazy to release, all of the amazing things Verra's worked on, Mazey being able to reintroduce outposts and then modify them to his whim, etc.

16. Leo

Leo Haxor

Wtf ? I didn't call you names did I ? I only talk about slots, where the fuck you saw me talking about mods or anything else ? If you don't like my idea fine but don't call me dumb, kid.

17. paradoxicalenigma

paradoxicalenigma Arsonist

TF2 still lets you join, they just warn you that its a server going over the usual capacity of slots/players.

18. Leo

Leo Haxor

I do not like flame wars really, the moderators can lock this if they feel so. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

19. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

not going to happen, thread locked

btw, he said your idea was dumb, not you.

Klokinator likes this.
Mods: Rainbows
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.